Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question New business website

Right so I've started my own business and created my own site using a Theme Forest Paid Template for speed.

So I thought I would put it to the critiques for analysis, feedback good or bad will help me make the site better.

Im' not a web designer or developer but I've done quite a bit of HTML and CSS in the past.

I am just working on the SEO as there isn't any at the moment.

here's the site http://www.express-its.com

L
    et me know what you all think and if there is anything that i can do to make it better both in a visual way and contextual way.

Thanks in Advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New business website

If it's a template then the person who built the template should be asking for a critique, not you. This is not a business critique forum, it's a website critique forum. For me this is a very shallow attempt to advertise your business, not a genuine request for a website critique.

2 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

blaggard (1st October 2011),  pctuner1984 (1st October 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as content goes I would read through and correct spellings and shit. e.g. supporting Micorsoft Server 2000, 2003 plus SBS 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2011 on your About Us page. Needs spellchecking and the word Windows inserting. That is off the two pages I looked at so I would look over it all if I were you.

Thanks to BertRoot

pctuner1984 (1st October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    If it's a template then the person who built the template should be asking for a critique, not you. This is not a business critique forum, it's a website critique forum. For me this is a very shallow attempt to advertise your business, not a genuine request for a website critique.
    Thanks for your comments. I agree with you, I'm not trying to advertise my business. I would gain nothing from advertising on DF as most of you are somewhat involed in a majority of IT related matters. I will always help fellow member of DF on a non profit basis as this is the whole idea of a forum like this.

I was open about the fact that it was a template, i was just simply asking if anything needed changing.

I appreciate what you are saying with regards to the fact this is not a business critque forum, but it's a website up for criticism non the less. I've bought exclusive rights to the template and can modiy how i wish. I just wanted to know if there were anything you would change both layout and in a contextual way.

Thanks BertRoot, I will go through the site again. About 10 people have read through the site and come back with different things, when you go though things over and over it just turns into a blur.

Again I appreciate all your comments.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't like it, particularly the colour scheme .. you should look into "colour theory" most websites use red sparingly as it normally signifies stop and danger.
    Looks like far too much text when you scroll down the home page, maybe lose everything below the 3 columns onto another page?

System status is basically advertising that your services have been failing, I'd consider moving this to a member only section of the website?

The inner pages look far better to me, the red is balanced with a lot of white and appears to be laid out much better.

The QuickSupport link is a link to download an .exe as a user the first thing I would do is Cancel the download, maybe the link should go to another page that explains what the user will be downloading or offer a Java chat support feature?

Thanks to AspectUK

pctuner1984 (1st October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, i have taken your comments on-board, i sort of agree with the colour scheme but to be on brand i thought Red,Black's and white as per the logo would make sense as with every brand like Virgin Media for instance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok I was a bit bored, so I went through the site and came up with this lot...

1.JPG
    You have a lot of contradictions on the site... "No Jargon reports" just 3 lines below "Most SME's don't keep records". In fact the whole site is full of Jargon. Which way you going? Plain english or IT wanker phrases?

3.JPG

Newly formed company with 10 years experience? What are you trying to say? Are you new or old... what is the 10 year experience? If its not the company are you referring to the staff? If so, 10 years is ok for one person... so is actually a one man band? (not good for businesses) if its more than one person 10 years experience is pretty shit. This statement is doing you no favors.

4.JPG

Talking of one man band... all of your testimonials seem to be very similar. They all are a mini story of the same size and detail, all mentioning "Adam" as many times as possible. If these are real testimonials, they are too similar in style and again hark to a one man band and not a business.

2.JPG

Curly "t"'s make me cringe and should be shot!

7.JPG

The general standard of English within the site does not reflect the standard of business you are trying to portray. Yeah, there are a few spelling and grammar mistakes but over all the site just doesn't read correctly

Thanks to MsDG

pctuner1984 (3rd October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

MsDG has it bang on, in all respects and the t's in particular make my teeth itch. The grammar and spelling have to be faultless and keep it simple, waffle is way too easy to see through and not professional. If you are not good at writing copy get someone to do it for you, don't spoil it for a ha'porth of tar.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am on a similar path to what your attempting to do PCTuner. I am proud to say I am a very busy one man band with 17 years experience (holy shit, I'm getting old). But I don't claim to be an expert, especially in the fastest growing industry in the world.

No Fix, No Fee is my get out of jail free card.
    However, I have yet had a job that's beat me - Reviving a corrupt BIOS when a customer was told to 'get a new laptop' by Toshiba was a good word of mouth spreader.

The main reason I have not made a website to advertise my services is because word of mouth is much more powerful. A website may seem like a good idea at the time, but as you have found out by MsDG's serious scrutiny, can automatically make potential customers minds up before they even call you.

Your best bet, if your going it alone, is to advertise that fact. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Thanks to DejaVu

pctuner1984 (3rd October 2011)