Close

Thread: CCTV Question

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help CCTV Question

Not sure where I could post this on here but after a bit of googling I couldn't find an answer, my question is if you have cctv in your business premises does it have to be in operation because we had an attempted robbery a while ago and while the one guy was trying to cut my brothers throat with a kitchen knife his accomplice put his boot in the pc under the counter doing the recording, this bust the pc and I didn't get round to sorting it, I got a letter of the police asking for some footage from september which they say I must provide? computers bust I have nothing. They've asked for stuff in the past and I've put it on a dvd but this is the first time I've been told to provide it. As for security we have an extra person in the shop which has been far more effective than any cctv system.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CCTV Question

can you not recover the hard drive ?
    the rest of the pc doesn't really matter as far as the video is concerned

as for cctv having to be in operation i would quite confidently say no it doesn't
    what about dummy cameras that are used at some premises the police would have a hard time getting footage off those

at the end of the day cctv is for your security and is a choice not compulsory

i think the police are presuming there is footage and could confiscate it as evidence or obtain a warrant to do so
    have you explained to the police that the pc that was recording the cctv was destroyed by one of the robbers

i'd still try to recover the files of the hard drive shouldn't be too difficult

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Is the footage they are requesting in relation to the theft? Or was the theft before September?

This question would be better placed in the legal section in the VIP area not hinting or anything

Thanks to evilsatan

Mickey (13th October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Andy, I will be happy to take the hard drive and get the video onto dvd for you if this helps.
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies, I got my footage off the hard drive for the robbery, police presumed It was in operation, they wanted to know if someone had been in the area as they had told the police otherwise a few weeks ago. If anyone wants to watch the robbery vid I'll put it up if there's somewhere I could upload it, quite entertaining lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

id suggest you do not disclose or otherwise host the video until the police have concluded their investigations and the case has been considered by cps and a decision taken on prosecution.

if there is a chance of prosecution, of the case goes to court, disclosure may have a prejudicial effect. in other words keep it confidential until it has all been sorted imo,

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know hat your saying Zippeyrude, got paperwork of CPS saying the guy was being charged with aggravated robbery, we got back to them asking when does someone trying to cut your throat with a kitchen knife constitute aggravated robbery? anyway they revised the charges based on evidence last we heard the lads got 5 years. Would of also been handy to know these people came from a house very close to us which was being used as a bail hostel, after a word with the landlord it is now no longer a bail hostel.