Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Teenage rioter 'struggling to sleep' has sentence halved

Cronus71 -> Sentence cut in half, due to difficulties sleeping...is this sending the right message?

Teenage rioter 'struggling to sleep' has sentence halved

A teenage drama student jailed for looting a Sainsbury's store during the riots had his sentence halved today after a court heard he was suffering "extreme anxiety" and struggling to sleep.

Police restrain a man in Manchester after trouble in the city centre Photo: PA

6:00AM BST 07 Oct 2011

Joshua Penney, 17, was swept along by "mob mentality" as he joined others in entering a branch of the supermarket which had been smashed open by looters on the night of the widespread disorder in Manchester city centre on August 9.

As staff cowered in a locked back room, the teenager was among those who helped themselves to cigarettes and alcohol.

Penney, of Hallows Avenue, Chorlton, was immediately followed into the Bridge Street store by police officers who caught him with a bottle of alcohol in his hands. He put the drink down and allowed himself to be arrested.

He pleaded guilty to burglary on his first appearance at youth court in the city and was later sentenced by magistrates to an eight-month detention and training order - of which half he would serve in a young offenders' institution.

Yesterday in an appeal at Manchester Crown Court his legal team argued that sentence was excessive and should have been dealt with by a community penalty in the form of a youth referral order in which no time would have been served in custody.

Judge Michael Henshell, sitting with two magistrates, rejected that argument but ruled the length of the detention and training order was "too long" and halved it to four months.
    Penney, who has no previous convictions, has already served six weeks in custody and now faces only two weeks more in detention.
    Judge Henshell said it was a "significant fact" that many of those who had come before the courts for offences committed in the widespread disorder had either no previous or comparatively minor convictions.
    "That seems to demonstrate with striking clarity the division between people who are sensible, law abiding and do not go through life committing offences and in a manner of a very short time because of mob mentality in the city centre at this time those who were drawn into offences such as this," he said.
    The judge said Penney was a young man who had a difficult start in life and had done well since, but was "dragged into these offences by the mentality of the mob around him".
    He had been in the company of an older "more sophisticated" man with 15 previous convictions who was also arrested in the store.
    Judge Henshell said: "These offences were serious offences. The offences committed of this sort are out of the ordinary. They are outside the normal guidelines of the offences of this kind. They have to be considered in this way.
    "We are satisfied this case does cross the custody threshold. This is not a case that should have been dealt with by way of a referral order but we are of the view that the order was too long. We are satisfied the sentence should have been four months of detention and training."
    Helen Richardson, defending, said her client had been studying on a performing arts course at a local community college at the time of the offence.
    She said he was understood to be a "gifted young man" and that his headteacher had spoken of him as "polite, respectful, conscientious" and "an absolute pleasure".
    The headteacher said that everyone was shocked to hear of his arrest, Miss Richardson added.
    Penney had found himself in an situation he was unfamiliar with and was swept along with the crowd, she said.
    It was "a moment of complete loss ... of self control", she said.
    He was assessed as being a medium risk in terms of vulnerability when he entered custody but is now suffering from "extreme anxiety" and struggling to sleep, the court heard.
    She said: "He is having to see a counsellor in the young offenders institute on a weekly basis.
    "His headteacher has been to see him and she is extremely worried about his mental health, and I ask that to play a part as to whether the appropriate sentence was a referral order or a detention and training order."
    Reporting restrictions were lifted on naming Penney at the original magistrates' court hearing.
    Four other defendants, one aged 15, two aged 17 and one now 18, were also scheduled to appeal against their sentences today but opted to deal with the cases next Thursday, following next week's expected judgment by the Court of Appeal on 10 other cases involving adult defendants jailed for committing crimes during August's civil disorder across the country.
    Among those listed for appeal in London is that of Michael Gillespie-Doyle, 19, from Openshaw, who was the older man with Penney when he too committed burglary at the Sainsbury's store.
    He was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court to two years in a young offenders' institution.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ce-halved.html
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only snag with the sentences the rioters got was it doesn't fit real life sentences and was just there as a media exercise, I suspect most of them will appeal and get similar outcomes.

Some of these rioters would have been mindless sheep and putting them in side for a considerable amount of time will just educate them in leading a life of crime, when in reality they may need problems addressing which will encourage them to stay on the right side of the law before it's too late. On the other hand there are probably some no matter what you do are going that route anyway.

The difficulty is in separating the two as our tax money would be better spent helping people that need help not just locking them up and helping them learn all the wrong things just because those in power was embarrassed as that's why the sentences was so harsh in the first place in relation to real terms sentencing.
    Last edited by syscon; 12th October 2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Teenage rioter 'struggling to sleep' has sentence halved

thrash the fucker to within an inch of his life and let him go, simple.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    thrash the fucker to within an inch of his life and let him go, simple.
    i would go for half an inch, regardless of whether some of them were sheep just following the crowd is irrelevant, they were still rioting and looting, lock em up!

and this whole oh i cant sleep properly here its terrible, of course you bloody cant your in prison its not meant to be nice and relaxing, the dopey fuckers
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

parsnips82 (12th October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by syscon View Post
    The only snag with the sentences the rioters got was it doesn't fit real life sentences and was just there as a media exercise, I suspect most of them will appeal and get similar outcomes.

Some of these rioters would have been mindless sheep and putting them in side for a considerable amount of time will just educate them in leading a life of crime, when in reality they may need problems addressing which will encourage them to stay on the right side of the law before it's too late. On the other hand there are probably some no matter what you do are going that route anyway.

The difficulty is in separating the two as our tax money would be better spent helping people that need help not just locking them up and helping them learn all the wrong things just because those in power was embarrassed as that's why the sentences was so harsh in the first place in relation to real terms sentencing.
    So, for example some sort of serious community service would have been a better option?
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yet another sensational headline which is bollox after reading it, reporting in the media in this country is at a lower standard than I have ever seen in my lifetime with more propaganda than there has ever been, the BBC news is another good example and seems almost on a par with Fox News 'Demonstrations.... what Demonstrations'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    So, for example some sort of serious community service would have been a better option?
    Don't know the answer tbh, all I know is if you put some idiot who follows the crowd into prison (especially never been there before) he will learn all the wrong things, so it costs us more as a tax payer to send him there and for all intents and purposes it could cost us for the rest of his life, sone there's no hope for but any sane person cannot write them all off.

For example not on par with above but at 18 I was caught driving car with no insurance, I was up front and honest, the copper came back with don't let me see you driving again - to this day I still remember it and have and will never drive uninsured again (silly mistake when I was young) if he were to give me the fine and six points I may have done it again ended up banned and then I couldn't have done the job I do today or finished my apprenticeship to enable me to be qualified to do my job, maybe unemployed and living off your tax money?

2 Thanks given to syscon

cronus71 (12th October 2011),  plug1 (14th October 2011)