Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Driving to & parking in London - couple of questions.

OK, I've got a meeting in Covent Garden next week.
    For many reasons, I can't go by train and I'm going to need my motor on the way back anyway as there's a few places I need to drop off at and there's a distinct possibility people will be cadging a lift as well.
    I'm not a London stalwart and only been a handful of times ages ago, and last time I was driven there anyway. I was planning on driving down to the NCP at St. Pancras Station outside the CCZ and strolling in (I'll have buckets of time). I'm going to be in a few hours and parking 6-12 hours is £24. Aside from that cost, it's just my fuel which is working out about £60 & I'll probably claim these back anyway.

Anyone see any flaws in this?
    Forgive the total naivety, and I know it's hardly foreign bloody travel, but I don't get out much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Driving to & parking in London - couple of questions.

I usually park at Euston if I need to get right to the CCZ when I'm at the office down there, it's the same sort of prices as you're paying just down the road to be honest.

If I'm down there for longer than just a few hours I park up at Watford Junction and jump on the quick train to Euston which is around 20 mins, and then parking there is only 7 quid a day which is a bargain!

There are backstreet car parks which are cheaper, and there may even be one nearer where you want to be, but to be honest I've only ever used one of those and that was close to Westminster near the Park Plaza, it was a bloody nightmare to find as well as I don't know that area at all!

Thanks to reverend

Zoots (13th October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Driving in London is not for the feint hearted mate.

I went to a party in Shoreditch on Sunday evening. It is 12 miles from my front door in Croydon. We left at 1810hrs and it took 1hr 20 mins to get there (on a Sunday night!). We left to come home at 2130hrs and it took 1 hour. 2 hrs 20 mins in the car and 2 hours at the party.

However a few months ago I went from mine to Camden Lock (Gilgamesh) door to door on public transport (cab to East Croydon, train to London Bridge, tube to Camden Town then foot patrol) in 50 minutes.

Parking is a complete lottery (pay& display) unless you want to pay bundles in an NCP.

Thanks to Roach-Rampino

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    I usually park at Euston if I need to get right to the CCZ when I'm at the office down there, it's the same sort of prices as you're paying just down the road to be honest.

If I'm down there for longer than just a few hours I park up at Watford Junction and jump on the quick train to Euston which is around 20 mins, and then parking there is only 7 quid a day which is a bargain!

There are backstreet car parks which are cheaper, and there may even be one nearer where you want to be, but to be honest I've only ever used one of those and that was close to Westminster near the Park Plaza, it was a bloody nightmare to find as well as I don't know that area at all!
    That's it. I don't know the area at all and would rather be on the safe side. Plus I'm happy to have a fanny about if the weather's OK.

What's the parking like at Watford Junction station? I'm going to be arriving anywhere between 10am and 12.

Cheers.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had typed on my reply "why not park just outside e.g. East Croydon (depending on which direction you are coming from)and jumping on a train into Central London?" but saw that you stated "can't go by train" so thought that this was not an option.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post

I went to a party in Shoreditch on Sunday evening. It is 12 miles from my front door in Croydon. We left at 1810hrs and it took 1hr 20 mins to get there (on a Sunday night!). We left to come home at 2130hrs and it took 1 hour. 2 hrs 20 mins in the car and 2 hours at the party.

However a few months ago I went from mine to Camden Lock (Gilgamesh) door to door on public transport (cab to East Croydon, train to London Bridge, tube to Camden Town then foot patrol) in 50 minutes.

Parking is a complete lottery (pay& display) unless you want to pay bundles in an NCP.
    You've drove right through there haven't you (Croydon to Shoreditch I mean). That's what I was trying to avoid by staying just out. However, the Watford Junction idea sounds tempting given what you've said there and the cheap price to park. Parking fees isn't a massive thing as I'll get it back anyway. I just want to be as stress free as possible by the time the meeting arrives.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had typed on my reply "why not park just outside e.g. East Croydon (depending on which direction you are coming from)and jumping on a train into Central London?" but saw that you stated "can't go by train" so thought that this was not an option.
    Coming from the North mate. I can do a train in, but need the car to be as close as poss because there's likely going to be a few more coming back with me.
    My mate parked at Potters Bar once and we tubed in, but it was a bleeding nightmare with changes and half of the crew pissed.

Thanks to Zoots

Roach-Rampino (13th October 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Watford Junction is dead easy mate, straight down the M1 and there's a massive car park next to the train station, that's the sort of time I turn up as well and have had no issues at all - think it holds 700 cars anyway?

The only thing I will say is be careful what train you jump on - there are the fast overground trains from Birmingham and Tring I think it's called, they take less than 20 minutes straight into Euston where you can jump on the tube. There are also the shitty slow trains from Watford Junction which stop at every single station in England I think and they take up to an hour!! Basically you just want the one from platform 8 or 9 - works out about 8 quid each way I think so in the scheme of things not massively different to the cost of parking at the NCP, just means you aren't driving in central London as that can be slow!

From Euston to Covent Garden it's probably the Northern to Leicester Square and either walk from there or just jump on the Piccadilly line one stop to Covent Garden - I'd walk it just to check out all the fit women walking about if it's not raining

2 Thanks given to reverend

Roach-Rampino (15th October 2011),  Zoots (13th October 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Superb mate. It's a plan. Thanks for your help

Thanks
    Karma Level

I park at blackhorse road station mate, its pretty easy to get to and parking overnight is cheap, there is a large car park with plenty of cctv too

Sent from my x10i using Tapatalk

Thanks to lloydi

Thanks
    Karma Level

I parked in Leicester Square recently for the joyful price of £16 an hour. So £24 sounds a bargain to me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I live in Shorditch. There are car parks just outside the congestion zone on the left of city road into the city but there not as cheap as the price you've been quoted for Euston which was around £5 an hour when I last parked there ?

If you can, do as advised above and take the train in.

The last two miles into central London could take you an hour or more especially along Euston Road or Holloway Road.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the advice, Jon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Google park at my house, and see if someone nearby will lend you their driveway for the night,

Fon

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd probably just go to Cockfosters Tube and park there - Piccadilly Line straight from Cockfosters to Covent Garden. Prices on TFL website

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't know you lived in The Cronx RR? I was born and bred but now am in Wallington.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep...I am Croydon boy and proud....well most of the time lol. I knew that you were in Wallington. I used to own some flats in Manor Road.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm in Rosemount Tower, I grew up in New Addington, right up the top of King Henry's Drive, My Parents were some of the first up there having moved in a year or so before I was born in 1953. Lived in and Around Croydon (Bromley, Crystal Palace, Penge) ever since.

Now I'm right between The Cronx and Slutton!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .