Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Dead Kingston DataTraveler G2

Has anyone got a method on how to revive one of the above it's one of the ones that was for sale on this site i bought it second hand from Det was all working fine and i had a few pc problems was getting blue screens when shutting down and was cause by a usbhub.sys

Anyway i think this is what killed it

When i plug it in nothing shows in my computer but it is shown in device manager but in diskpart it shows it as having 0B

Attachment 24116

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dead Kingston DataTraveler G2

I think i used this http://dk.transcend-info.com/product...recovery_1.asp when one of mine did the same and it recovered it.

Thanks to B.I.G.

fanni (23rd October 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

strange mine died to0

unknow usb devise anmd thats it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    I think i used this http://dk.transcend-info.com/product...recovery_1.asp when one of mine did the same and it recovered it.
    Just tried that but get no device detected

Thanks
    Karma Level

my one from someone from here is on its way out,corrupting data, not happy bunny.

Sent By Brick Wrapped In Paper Thrown Through The Window..........

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wasn't going to say anything but one I got is fine, the other has died.
    *shrug*
    Not arsed myself, but might be an idea if anyone's using them for primary data to at least have it backed up.
    I just use mine to lug stuff from one machine to another.

Thanks
    Karma Level

does it show in disc management, if so can you assign it a letter.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

have you tried Getdataback?

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

mine corrupted data, file names etc all gobbildy gook, reformated but not tried again yet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like a batch of knackered sticks....

I've been using a Sandisk cruzer titanium for years, it's been through all sorts and is as perfect as the first day that I got it. Never used Kingston but they are a top memory manufacturer.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have any of you contacted the outlet you purchased from? Most flash based memory products carry a large if not lifetime warranty so hopefully you are covered.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Have any of you contacted the outlet you purchased from? Most flash based memory products carry a large if not lifetime warranty so hopefully you are covered.
    hahaha i think all bought of a member on here?
    i think they could be fake??
    could be wrong but a sell a lot of this stuff and never seen as many of one batch go faulty this quick, i think a have had to replace maybe 3 in the last 3 years?
    sold a good 1500-200 in that time
    i was going to contact kingston for replacement but 32 gig are that cheap everywhere now would cost £3+ recorded to send back, might as well get new one

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    bought on here mate, just read the thread and prompted me that mine is being funny bugger, formatted twice so far

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...SB-Flash-Drive

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mines case fell to bits a day after getting it of here, thought that was strange. put it back together and all worked fine untill it just stopped. Went on kingston web site and it asked for a serial number and there is none on the casing or on the board its self. so cant go down that route. Ive never seen another kingston stick but these looked of poor build.

Pissed me of in the end trying to fix it so threw it in the bin and thought no more about it untill this tread.

I vote fake

Im not saying it was the DF members fault, i hope hes been shifting these beliving them to be real
    Last edited by garagekru; 25th October 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: stupid

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you contacted Brydo to inform him of the problems? Perhaps he will refund/replace/clarify the warranty situation. Sounds like a bad batch, perhaps they were refurbished seeing as they were not in original packaging.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by garagekru View Post
    Went on kingston web site and it asked for a serial number and there is none on the casing or on the board its self
    It is on the metal part not on the case or the board

I have had to send a couple of flash drives back to Kingston before - the one I got off here has been used a lot with no problems

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just seen this thread guys, wasn't avoiding it.

These sticks are all less than one year old and based on that I assume will have a warranty - they all came from the same batch and I assumed were OK however I'm thinking "shit" when I read this thread to see how many are failing.

I've checked my stick that has no problems and can see the S/N printed on the metal connector part of the stick, I assume this is what is needed for a warranty claim/replacement?

I've no first hand experience with Kingston, but when I sold the first lot on here I was held back until I ran a test which I did and presented the results.

Just wanting to be clear that I'm not pulling a scam on here, or trying to flog fake/corrupt USB sticks.

2 Thanks given to Brydo666

garagekru (26th October 2011),  mysterym (25th October 2011)  

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The one i got seemed slow to transfer stuff onto it
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had no problems with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

found this guide
    from what i have seen the rim around the case should mach the colour of the label?dark green?
    need someone to confirm.

(The DTIG2 Is A Maximum Of 32GB And Colour Coded!)
    DTIG2/2GB 2GB* USB flash drive (2.0) - Gray
    DTIG2/4GB 4GB* USB flash drive (2.0) - Yellow
    DTIG2/8GB 8GB* USB flash drive (2.0) - Cyan
    DTIG2/16GB 16GB* USB flash drive (2.0) - Red
    DTIG2/32GB 32GB* USB flash drive (2.0) - Dark Green----------------------------ours are Black

and this

Counterfeiters of Kingston Technologie’s USB flash drives are now more sophisticated. How can you detect and validate if you have a genuine item? FakeMemorySentinel has some important information to help you.

Forgers can duplicate packaging almost to perfection. It is suspected that in some cases, real packaging is used too. The outside shell casings for usb flash drives look real. The packaging back has UPS bar codes and even serial numbers.
    Most would have difficultly telling the difference between a genuine Kingston DataTraveler usb flash drive and a fake, by the packaging alone. Sealed, the only way people will discover the awful true is after they buy.
    The Kingston brand is well known. In the early days of fakes, the first generation DataTraveler was counterfeited. FlashDriveFacts has an online catalogue of Kingstone fakes.
    When Kingston launchs new usb flash drive products, the counterfeiters are quick to follow. The fakes start appearing only a few months after product launch.
    To fight back, Kingston started engraving the silver usb connector tip. This is your most important evidence . On a genuine Kingston usb flash drive, you should see information similar to this:

mine says country of origin CHINA? , i thought they made in tiwan? cant find an excact place where they are made

Note: The image above is an example. Each model has different serial information.
    If you do not have serial engraving information, you probably have a counterfeit! This is especially true for DataTraveler usb flash drives in the DT150, DT200, DT300, DT310, DT400 series. Engraving the usb flash drive connector is expected to continue for newer models.
    The FrankenFlash project finds Kingston Technologies is helpful to consumers.
    You can contact them at your local Kingston website in your country or region, under support. They will answer your emails.
    When should you contact them?
    1. If you purchased a usb flash drive that does not have a serial number on the usb connector tip. State the model, advertised capacity and the source of your purchase.
    2. If you have one with an engraving serial, behaving strangely, not holding anywhere near the advertised capacity. You should include the existing serial information on your usb flash drive connector. Follow the example above.
    3. For a model where Kingston includes software but it was absent, NOT on the usb drive. Include the existing serial information on your usb flash drive connector. Follow the example above.
    What will happen when you contact Kingston?
    You will receive a reply at your email address.
    • If it was an older usb flash drive before engraving, they will tell you so and might request additional information.
    • If you sent them the serial information, they will verify and respond to you confirming it is genuine or a fake.
    • If it is a flash drive that should be engraved and it is not, they will confirm you purchased a counterfeit and will advise you on your options, generally to seek a refund from the seller.
    For people with bad eyesight to read serial information, they will give you the opportunity to send images. You should send a picture of the front and back of the usb silver connector tip.
    Kingston Technologies is offering a great service to consumers to help detect if they purchased a counterfeit. If you fall into categories 1 – 3, you should contact them. It is also an opportunity to help fight the problem, by providing Kingston with valuable information as to the source of your acquistion. This information is important to help them track where the counterfeits are coming from and where they are being sold.
    For people who purchased Kingston USB flash drives on eBay or from an internet Wholesaler in the Orient, a reply from Kingston is extremely important to help validate your case and claim.
    FakeMemorySentinel sees Kingston Tech support’s help as “Win – Win”, for both consumers and Kingston.
    There is only way to put a STOP to the problem, when everyone works together and cooperates. The FrankenFlash project is helping, will you?
    Additional Information:
    Kingston Technologies Flash Memory Validation Tool
    This tool allows you to validate all Kingston flash memory products and memory modules. It uses the serial number on the back of retail packaging or product labels.
    Counterfeits Kingston category at FlashDriveFacts Website.
    This site also has a breakdown on their left menu bar of documented fakes for Kingston. It covers memory cards as well.
    Testing advertised capacity of usb flash memory products. Read : H2testw 1.4 – Gold Standard In Detecting USB Counterfeit Drives. It explains why H2testw is such a great tool and includes links to obtain the free software.
    Reporting fakes to SOSFakeFlash. SOSFakeFlash routinely releases alerts on the internet to protect consumers. They focus heavily on eBay, as this is the place most buyers acquire Kingston Counterfeits. You can report in to them using the Report A Fake Tab. They will investigate the seller, document and issue an alert to warn the public. They also publish black lists of sellers with accumulate counts against the eBay seller.

A Quick Test To See If It's Fake! not sure if this works cos i think the firmware can flashed
    Go to my computer and right click on the Removable Disk, Then go to propeties, Then hardware tab! Dose it show as Kingston? If Not It's Fake! Also Plug The Drive Into A USB Port And See What Colour The Light Is! (It Should Be A Green Light Not A Red One.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast