Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question So what do you do for a hobby?

I have had loads in the past but most just fall away or I get bored and pick up something new because they start taking up too much time.

Gaming I used to spend a fortune on my PC upgrading it monthly then bought consoles but now don't play much.

Car detailing or car washing to a stupidly high standard again spent a fortune on kit which I still have but getting the time to spend a weekend washing the car just doesn't happen often enough now especially after getting a full time job back in February.

Collecting things, mainly as something to buy when I went somewhere, did the ty beanies for my sister (I bought and they were hers) about 500 of them somewhere in boxes and bags. Pin badges I do still pick a few up from hard rock cafe's part of that was there was a HRC in most places I have been to then it got a little excessive by travelling to places that had a HRC But I have met a load of great people doing that and travelled to quite a few places I wouldn't have been to.

Growing stuff, started with tomatoes then lettuce, pumpkins and a load of other stuf like herbs and sun flowers, I currently have 3 red Trinidad scorpion chili plants going and they are producing fruits which will be very hot. And they are all done in pots as I have no garden.

And last but not least photography but that is starting to turn in to a business and again another hobby that absorbs serious amounts of money. I don't think I'm that good really I can always find faults in my photos but people love them so I'm not going to tell them any different. plants on the. lastly photography but peopling going to tell them any different.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: So what do you do for a hobby?

at the minute i collect foreign currency but not just any old stuff, i like something thats got good colouring in them or maybe a special type of history.
    I have a complete set of iraqi dinar notes which some are really good, ive just bought some old USA confederate notes in very good nick for a very good price.

and as previously mentioned im starting up doing metal detecting and would love to find some really old interesting coins. dont have to be gold but that would be a bonus.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Two main hobbies - first is teaching myself computer stuff. Got 14 servers, 3 desktops, 3 laptops with which I keep telling myself I will use to train myself up to MCITP standard, but I keep getting distracted doing other things. Currently have one server with just a basic xp build to try out autodata for someone, one server I've got set up as a hyperv with pfsense and untangle to demo to someone who may have some work for me, and I've got another server 2k8 with 6 server 08 vm's, (2 server core), 1 pfsense vm and one sipx vm.

Other one is pissing around with cars. Since I've been unemployed I seem to have spent loads of time fixing up our motors and getting them in good condition again. Jobs vary from tomorrow doing my mates breaks on his m5, then hoping to finish off some bits and pieces on my alfa that I rebuilt the engine on a few years ago over the rest of the week, to respraying bits on a little runaround for my sister which took up a few weeks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

technical rebreather scuba diving and flying FPV aircraft & large scale model helicopters for me

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont really have time for hobbies because of my work, im 1 month on 1 month off. Anytime onshore is spent with the gf, and any time at sea is spent working. Although I do a lot of travelling with my job. Been to several places in China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Kuwait, Oman, UAE, Pakistan, Bahrain, , Egypt, Bulgaria, USA, Jamiaca, Panama, Peru, Mexico, Guatemala - and the usual places in Europe - spain, france, belgium etc. Try to collect a few things from each place, coins, traditional sculptures.

Apart fromt that the only other thing I have is my PS3, but i wouldnt call that a hobby. I have my DSLR, but as someone said very expensive hobby, and as soon as I have read some more books and bought a few more lenses I wouldnt consider it a hobby.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Two hobbies, neither of which receive the attention the deserve.
    1. Competative classic arcade game collecting and playing.
    2. Amateur Radio.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Only thing worthy of calling a hobby is i play the guitar. been paying for 18 years now but only play everty few months these days. Kids take up far too much time and are always doing my nuts in. Guess most of us in here will class gadgets, pcs, gaming etc as a hobby.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My main hobby is browsing Digital Forums and playing Guildwars. I dont have much time for hobbies theese days but would love to take up Golf if I could find the time.

When i was alot younger I loved carp fishing. I still got the odd bit of tackle lying around.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Suppose my hobby is going to watch Rugby union matches. Used to play lots years ago but too many injuries made sure I became a spectator only (Alltho I have recently thought of putting my boots back on).
    I go to watch all of Bristol rugby's home games which has been heartbreaking over the last 3 or 4 seasons Alltho this season is looking a lot better. I also support & watch & help out whenever I can with my local rugby club Bristol Saracens RFC (used to play for them) this season they've been doing really well & are as yet undefeated. Obviously a big part of my hobby involves drinking copious quantities of cider but hay it's a tough old world haha
    I also try to go and watch England whenever possible (twice this year)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Dont have a hobby now just interests.

Using my PC for web browsing is my main interest plus just purchased a new Xbox 360.

Used to have a huge hobby in amature radio but no kit here to play with specially with 27Mhz wide open now to DX from afar.

Regards

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Watching football live and on telly. I have a Wolves season ticket and also watch England home & away although I've had enough of their home midweek fixtures and will miss most of them from now on. Have enough caps to go to the Euros next year but my mate just came back from the Ukraine where he was both mugged by horrible fuckers and then extorted by the police so unless we are playing in Poland I won't go. Also I watch loads on telly and have a satellite system to watch foreign stuff if I want to, funny how the Armenian league can be interesting for example.

Just applied for a new bike through the cycle to work scheme and put a deposit on it. I'll have the bike anyway and intend to use it a lot.

Also I've just gone back to school again part-time to do a masters and it is taking up a lot of time doing what they call "independent learning", homework in other words. Really enjoy it though, a privilege to be able to do it.

Booze ups parties and so on. Though that may be affected for the next few years by the above.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didnt think about my self punishment of watching Bolton Wanderers I cant really say watching football as over the last 32 years I have been going to burnden and the Reebok we have had good times and not so good times. I can't stand watching football on TV, I will watch the world cup and other tournaments but never watch PL on tv I would rather go watch local Atherton LR or kids games than watch any game on TV.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I fly radio controlled planes, a slower trainer for lazy afternoons as well as a highly aerobatic pylon racer to get the adrenalin flowing. Been doing it since I was 12, great hobby.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm boring. Xbox and football, 5 kids means most of my spare time is doing something with one or all of them. Working hard at getting them addicted to both football and gaming so I get more time on both. Seems to be working quite nicely

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

had a few hobbies over the years but as usual you get to a level where it gets too expensive for some of them
    recently i would say photography has been my latest hobby over the last few years photographing the local wildlife
    i went through a stage of collecting lighters mainly colibri , ronson and some of the older Japanese makes such as win , sarome etc..
    back in the 80's hifi was my main hobby but it gets too expensive so give up on that one. i think hifi/music is more of a passion than a hobby to be honest
    also during the 80's i went through a motor bike phase had a lot of fun and came out relatively unscathed and as the family grew the bikes had to go
    iv'e always had an interest in electronics for the last 35 years or so but always kept it as a hobby rather than a career and when computers started getting popular during the early 80's i turned my attention to them something that still interests me today

it's a strange thing hobbies because once iv'e done something i never seem to go back to it unless it's something ongoing ( like photography )

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Prism Quantum 2-line stunt kite which has unfortunately been stuck in the wardrobe, broken since the beginning of the summer (hard to track down/too lazy to find and order the parts it needs). I had it for a couple months and was learning some basic tricks and getting better by the day but a freak accident snapped the upper leading edge.

Over the summer my mate (an English immigrant) had been moaning at me to get in to SCUBA diving but I couldn't be bothered. Once he got qualified in Jule he started telling me about the wreck dives and caves and tunnel dives around Cyprus he'd been on which caught my ear. So on the 16th of this month I went on a try dive. The instructor took me down to 4.5 meters n clear calm waters, we did a couple of drills (reg out - reg in) and had a 25 minute dive around a small bay.

I have to say I was hooked from the go. I had a few reservations about the whole being underwater and breathing through a pipe/claustrophobia but once in the water I felt great. No real panic, no real anxiety. I ordered a BCD and regs the next day!

I've been on a dive with my friend and now I'm really excited about getting my Ocean Diver cert. Just looking for the right club, price and timetable to fit in with my schedule. I aim to get qualified by February for my trip to Thailand. In the mean time Cyprus has some lovely dive sites, on of them being the Zenobia wreck which apparently is one of the top 10 wreck sites in the world.

Can't wait to get down there once qualified, it's a 5 minute drive and 10 minute boat ride from my apartment! The wreck starts at 16 meters and the bottom lies at 43 meters.

MS Zenobia was a Swedish built Challenger-class RO-RO ferry launched in 1979 that capsized and sank close to Larnaca, Cyprus, in June 1980 on her maiden voyage.[1][4] She now rests on her port side in approximately 42 metres (138 ft) of water and was named as one of The Times top ten wreck diving sites in the world in 2003.[4]

Last edited by cyprus; 31st October 2011 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks to cyprus

GTI (31st October 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lingerie shopping. Photography though I have lost my mojo over the past year but it is one I have been into since the early eighties with film and more recently digital. I don't have a great deal of time for hobbies these days but my main one is mountain bikes. I like building,, maintaining and riding them. Go to Gisburn Forest as often as possible or anywhere down round the South Lakes though I hate 'proper' offroading that involves maps as I prefer to ride rather than pause to work out where to go next.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had a few hobbies over the years, cb radio in the late 70's then progressed onto ham radio, dont have much interest in it now days but i still do a bit of listening around the bands, i did try photography for a short while but i didnt quite get into it, got bored with it very quickly, i also got myself a telescope one of the meade 125's, was great looking around the stars seeing mars and jupiter, the moon was interesting, soon be time to get it back out, one hobby i got into was lock picking, seems a strange hobby but its quite theraputic, been doing that now for abt 5 years, i've let a couple of neighbours back in when they locked themselves out (no charge) before any lockies jump on me, they wouldnt have called a lockie if i wasnt there so i have not nicked a customer,,lol
    i've tried a few hobbies over the years and no doubt will try more in the future.
    If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Every Saturday I'd head down to my local town and hit at least two salons with my Bush 3150 Cassette Recorder and record the sound the scissors made when cutting hair. I'd make a note of each recording including the sex of both the stylist and customer, the hair style before and after cutting, the hair colour, the amount taken off in cubic inches and weight and whether any acesssories or accoutrements were used such as hair clips or a straight razor.

I built up a collection of over 1000 recordings over a period of around 5 years and I became known locally as 'Haircut Bob'.

3 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

CallmeGoose (31st October 2011),  NiCkO (26th November 2011),  Undertaker (8th November 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always been a gamer, starting with the spectrum as a kid and then up to amigas and consoles.
    I've been doing karate for the last 7 years, currently 1st kyu and hopefully going for my 1st dan in the new year.
    My eldest has recently started as well so that's something we can enjoy together.
    Just started getting into mountain biking. Been to Llandegla a couple of times and try to get up Rivington most weekends, but now the light and weather have gone will just stick to road riding for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast