Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info HSBC customers outraged after online banking, ATMs and debit cards blocked as systems

Thousands of HSBC customers faced the embarrassment of having their cards declined this afternoon as the bank's UK systems crashed potentially affecting millions of customers.

Reports on social media suggest the bank's cash machines, branches, HSBC debit cards, and internet banking services are all out of action.

A Twitter storm erupted with worried customers saying they could not withdraw money from HSBC cash machines and their cards had been declined in shops.

Other customers Tweeted to say branch staff told them the bank's services 'had gone down across the nation'.

Other reports suggested the problem could extend worldwide. The bank operates in 47 countries.

HSBC is one of the 'Big Four' banks in the UK, serving more than 15million customers, and is the largest UK bank by market size.
    It has also been considered one of the strongest during the financial crisis and did not require a taxpayer-funded bailout.

The internet service went down at 2.45pm, causing cards to also be declined at tills and ATMs. But the services are being restored over the course of the afternoon.

Mark Hemingway, head of UK Retail Banking told MailOnline: 'At a quarter to two our UK-based online services went down.

'All services are being introduced over the course of the afternoon.

'Of course, with it being a Friday afternoon, it was a very busy time and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

He added the problems began at 2.45pm and only affect customers in the UK.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1cl0B9WOm

This has been a pain in the ass today, had my card declined in two shops and couldn't get cash out of a machine, fortunately I have more than one bank account so I wasn't too badly affected. Went in to the bank (HSBC) to pay in some cheques and it was absolutely chock-a-block with people waiting for the services to come back up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HSBC customers outraged after online banking, ATMs and debit cards blocked as sys

Before finding out about this i was stuck behind a woman in Tesco cos her card had been declined and so she went to draw money out and couldn't and so her friday big shop had to be put back on the shelves..She looked completely ashamed and the cashier was looking at her like shite.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ha. Was in morrisons half an hour ago only spending a fiver looked like a twat.
    Look I had another card

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HSBC customers outraged after online banking, ATMs and debit cards blocked as sys

Tell me about it went to pay for £80 of fuel and the fooking card was declined
    had to call my brother for a sub he knew what the issue was so was ok
    i felt two foot tall waiting for him to come cus the attendant thought i was trying it on
    Wonder if there is a case for trauma lol