Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Mail, gmail and OSX.6.8

I have 7 gmail accounts accessed by Mail and also 5 Mail accounts with my "Mac Only" ISP MacAce.net

A
    s is usual with Mail, it sometimes gets its undergarments in a tangle and gets into a loop asking for account passwords, even though they should be in Keychain.

There is an interesting article on this at CNet Reviews, however, no matter what I do, whether or not suggested by CNet, one of those accounts refuses to work.

The other 6 do, but one of them is defeating all attempts I have made to "rescue" it.

I've cleared out Keychain (but, oddly, there was no entry for that account) and it refuses to create a new entry, I've rebooted in safe Mode, I've rebooted in Single User mode, I've run Repair Permissions, I've run fsck -fy several times and I've run applejack AUTO restart

With the results of zero, zilch, nowt, nothing, nada, b*gg*r all, s*d all, sweet FA etc. etc.

So, what else can I do?

No matter how often I try to connect to that account, I get the "tilde" in a grey circle.

I can log on via my browser so I know the password is OK and the account still available on-line.

What else can I try?
    Please help valuable medical research by Folding@Home - you are welcome to join us in Team 37761, Swanny's Irregulars.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mail, gmail and OSX.6.8

loads of people swear by sparrow mail these days so might be worth looking at that, I like the built in Mail app but haven't used it in some while as I do most emailing on the webmail now, as it's more seamless across a range of devices. I do know Mail app doesn't play very nicely with Gmail IMAP servers
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

iBozz (22nd November 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I run 5 different accounts through gmail its set up so it manages all of them from one log in and it lets you select which ever email address you need to reply from and if you set up the filters you can make it so all of the accounts appear with different colours, I have a couple of gmail addresses an old Aol email (although why I dont know) and the other two are my work email addresses and an old spam address.

to do it you log into a gmail account and go to settings then accounts and import other than that its pretty quick and painless to set up and get running

Thanks to casio

iBozz (22nd November 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks

I've done a bit of playing around and it seems to be something to do with Google's 2-step verification, but quite why that one account, alone of the various gmail accounts I have (1 personal and the others for hobbies and a special project) has suddenly decided not to play ball I really cannot fathom.

Still, disabling 2-step verification on that account has, at least temporarily, resolved the issue.

I shall, when life slows down a bit, investigate to see just why it happened rather then just the "kill it without thinking it through" approach i've had to adopt.

tanks for the advice - I'll investigate both suggestions as soon as I gat time.

Cheers.
    Please help valuable medical research by Folding@Home - you are welcome to join us in Team 37761, Swanny's Irregulars.