Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Ebay purchase help

Hi folks could do with some advice here. Bought a Canon 400i DSLR from a private ebay seller for £285 , £15 shipping . Cut a long story short its just arrived - loose with a load of stuff in a rattling cardboard box. It seems to be working but I cant believe someone would send this without any packing . It sounded like cardboard box of broken biscuits when i shook it :-(
    Its supposed be a present for my eldest for xmas, but im seriously worried about the damage it may have taken in transit.
    What are my rights here? He also fleeced me for shipping , charging £15 (wouldnt fkin mind if he bothered to pack the thing properly) and it only cost £9.05 - its stamped on it.

Just checked the listing and it says no returns.

Im really not happy it and not sure what path to go down.

Advice welcome :-(

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ebay purchase help

is it in the condition described in the ad and complete with all the items listed.

just give it a good road test to see if alls ok m8, if not then you can take it further.

i dont think putting no returns on an ad protects the seller in any way at all.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks to wakadoo

braymond (7th December 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the item arrived as described then I suspect you will have no form of recourse except a negative feedback and low scores for those 4 sets of 5 star ratings you give him.

Thanks to Over Carl

braymond (7th December 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

puzzling over what to do, hes now come back to me and offered a refund. am very wary of sending it back and being in the position of having no camera and no money until (thats if he keeps his word) refunds me. basically all my cash tied up in this for daughters xmas .
    hmmmmm
    thanks for the input guys

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As long as you have proof of postage ie recorded then any paypal dispute later will go your way

Thanks to Tim.Lad

braymond (8th December 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by braymond View Post
    puzzling over what to do, hes now come back to me and offered a refund. am very wary of sending it back and being in the position of having no camera and no money until (thats if he keeps his word) refunds me. basically all my cash tied up in this for daughters xmas .
    hmmmmm
    thanks for the input guys
    What did you actually say to prompt him to offer a full refund? might be an idea to post that as I thought you asked here because of 'not sure what path to go down'

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    What did you actually say to prompt him to offer a full refund? might be an idea to post that as I thought you asked here because of 'not sure what path to go down'
    After I posted in here . After instantly answering my questions previously he suddenly became unresponsive so i got twitchy to say the least. Sent him another 2 messages and he got back to me .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would send it back recorded delivery and open a paypal dispute. Paypal tend to go with the buyer anyway so if he doesnt refund you can get it back that way.

-=AD=-

Thanks to AD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    i dont think putting no returns on an ad protects the seller in any way at all.
    I think this is correct as long as it is a registered business seller as they have to apply to the DSR's, like it or not but with a private seller then not too sure what the guidelines are there. To be honest, any seller just writing 'no returns' is open to abuse as you cannot offer something for sale and from the offset say that you will not accept it back at all as it makes it look suspicious immediately.

Thanks to SoundOfFaz

Thanks
    Karma Level

After I posted in here . After instantly answering my questions previously he suddenly became unresponsive so i got twitchy to say the least. Sent him another 2 messages and he got back to me .
    Am I missing something? I understand that it wasn't packed very well but is it actually damaged? Not working properly etc, the postage I would think £15 was a guess on cost before posting so although annoying there is the packing wrapping but you could ask for a part refund on that although I wouldn't if the camera was as described.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it's scratched . And I'm more concerned that a high precision bit of electronics which I paid 300 for has been slung around in transit so it may have caused damage - The auction stated no returns and I couldnt get hold of seller when I posted . So was asking for general advice . Which I have received plenty of so thanks to all . It also turns out the camera is a refurbished unit which wasn't pointed out . And originally he was going to charge 15 shipping and only insure it for 150 Til I asked for insurance for it to be insured for it's value .
    Last edited by braymond; 8th December 2011 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks to braymond

Bald Bouncer (8th December 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it's scratched . And I'm more concerned that a high precision bit of electronics which I paid 300 for has been slung around in transit so it may have caused damage - The auction stated no returns and I couldnt get hold of seller when I posted . So was asking for general advice . Which I have received plenty of so thanks to all . It also turns out the camera is a refurbished unit which wasn't pointed out . And originally he was going to charge 15 shipping and only insure it for 150 Til I asked for insurance for it to be insured for it's value .
    Thanks I thought i was going mad I kept reading it and couldn't see any problem with it.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I probably wasn't very clear as I was wound up and typing from my phone :-) I'm not one to moan about eBay purchases having sold a lot of stuff on it myself to people who expect the world for buttons . But when u spend 300 notes and receive what I did . I've packed stuff I've sold for a fiver better not kidding.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you're going to send it back I would NOT use recorded as a couple of members have suggested above.

You'll want to use a minimum of special delivery or a courier with proper tracking and proper insurance.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

2 Thanks given to maltloaf

braymond (8th December 2011),  Roach-Rampino (8th December 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes I know recorded is pointless really - it's just a bit of paper , the process is the same as normal post and as u say insurance is not enough.
    Right thanks for all the advice guys. The seller has been back in touch just now and seems genuine enough . I still can't believe he posted it all loose in a cardboard box wrapped in paper !

Thanks
    Karma Level

has the seller admitted the packaging was less than stellar? You never know if the post monkeys have opened it and repacked it. So far it seems the seller is being quite responsive though, send it back and worry about what could go wrong if it does.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yes , he said "it seemed quite tightly packed in the box , there was foam at the bottom" lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

i wouldnt take the risk, send it by special delivery as said above. I've had items in the past for recorded post where the postie has not asked for any signitures at all.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

special delivery all the way mate, did you take any photo's of the packaging in case of problems with ebay/paypal?
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.