Close

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Suarez gets 8 match ban

Reds star in assault probe

Liverpool - Liverpool's England international midfielder Stewart Downing was being questioned by police on Sunday on suspicion of assault following a night out, local media reported.

The 27-year-old player was alleged to have been involved in a row with an ex-girlfriend at a pub near his home town of Middlesbrough in the north-east of the country.

"Police were called to an incident at a pub on Yarm High Street shortly before 01:00 on Sunday, January 8," a police spokesperson told the Liverpool Echo.

"A 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and a 32-year-old woman has also been arrested on suspicion of assault. Both are in custody and inquiries are ongoing."

Liverpool refused to comment on the reports.

Downing joined Liverpool last summer from Aston Villa but started his career at Middlesbrough Academy.

He made his first-team debut for his home town club in April, 2002, in a Premier League match at Ipswich Town.

Reports of Downing's arrest come at a difficult time for the English football giants.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/Engl...probe-20120109

Another shining example of a Dipper !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    That's the point though i don't believe what Evra told the panel so imo Suarez is innocent.
    Innocent? He admitted what he called him - it's only the context that is unclear. Jacko1, you are deluded. End of. And I do not support man u before you start.
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by coin-op View Post
    Innocent? He admitted what he called him - it's only the context that is unclear. Jacko1, you are deluded. End of. And I do not support man u before you start.
    Suarez says hes said Negro once in a conciliatory manner, Evra originally told people he had called him a nigger ten times.

One of them is lying.. the evidence the F.A. Appointed panel released is as dodgy as fuck and just takes the word of one over the other to come to the conclusion Evra is telling the truth Suarez is lying.If the evidence had been overwhelming then I would have liked him to have been sold on or released but it isn't...

http://newsframes.wordpress.com/2012...sm-churnalism/

Your views..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a well written article but fails in its key objective because IMO it misses the absolute key point, and that is that there is absolutely no doubt at all that Suarez used language with racial overtones towards Evra, because he himself has admitted it. He called Evra a negro, which in this country is insulting. As far as I can tell, none of this is in debate. Move on. Context. This is a very important point for me. There seems to be general acceptance from people who know a lot more than us about how this word is used in that part of Uruguay, so we need to accept that Suarez was NOT being racist himself - ergo cultural misunderstanding. The FA and Evra both state in the final paragraph of the report (454) that Suarez is not racist. Whether this has been ignored by the gutter press I can't comment on, I've certainly been aware of this, and I suspect most people genuinely interested in this thread here are also aware. However, the gutter press have that reputation for a very good reason, and sorry, but most people who read that sort of newspaper aren't worth listening to anyway as far as I'm concerned.

A couple of additional things stand out in this for me. Mainly, the handling of this by Liverpool FC. I believe - and its only a belief - that had Suarez issued an apology to Evra at the outset the ban would have been less. Apologise, state that it was not intended, clarify the word used, end of argument. A ban would still have been incurred, but the constant PUBLIC denials and PUBLIC statements by Liverpool, Suarez and Dalglish only inflamed this whole situation. From constant denial, to negrito, to negro, its all been very public from Liverpool when they were told to not say anything. Then as soon as the decision was announced, that absolutely farcical statement from Liverpool that looked like it had been written by jacko, then that disgraceful press conference from Dalglish. And then the non-appeal. And still no apology to Evra. Do you not think this may have contributed somewhat to the perception of events by the press?

At the end of the day it boils down - as you say above - to one mans word against the other. Liverpool and its fans have taken to slandering and picking apart Evra, finding crap from years ago to try and discredit him, in very much the way you say above "Evra originally told people he had called him a nigger ten times", yet find it very easy to believe everything Suarez has said as being the truth, despite the evidence about Suarez's character and morals being rather obviously poor. I understand the desire to back your player, of course I do, especially in this situation, but there seems to have been no acceptance from Liverpool or the fans that maybe, just maybe, Suarez wasn't being pally.

2 Thanks given to BBK

4me2 (10th January 2012),  silentbob10 (10th January 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with how an apology at the start should have been given. But to just pick you up on the general idea that all lfc fans are sat here with our suarez t shirts on humming depeche mode, all adamant that suarez is innocent isn't true. I dont believe either, that there is a mass lfc conspiracy and that in the F.A. corridors of power they're all wearing replica man u kits and shouting ' have it!! ' as they meg the tea lady.

The overall feeling for me and other fans i've spoke to is that if suarez is unquestionably guilty of racism then fine, sack him and move on. The problem for us is the system in place to resolve these matters. We still dont know if suarez is racist or not which is sort of the point to me. I dont buy into the idea that he's guilty of abusing evra 7 times yet then say he's not racist. On the ' balance of probability ' he isn't due to no past instances and having a black grandfather etc, but once they decided evra was the man to believe they then had to find a reason why he must of said it. Then to say it was in the heat of the moment is a little much for me tbh. If thats what happened then surely he's racist as the day is long and i would assume evra would be livid not actually agree.

Again, this is not me attacking evra at all, if he felt he needed to complain then i dont blame him, but the way such a serious issue has been dealt with is shite ( in my opinion ). The report reminded one or two of the old SUS law.
    Last edited by showbiz-legend; 10th January 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526