Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Next Xbox AND PS4 set for biggest ever E3

Discs or other media will always be used. What I think we will see more of in the future however is a basic price of a game of around £20 which is the bare minimum to be classed as a 'Product'. DLC will feature heavily then, as it is doing so now, in games which in turn will kill the second hand market completely.

It is inevitable this will happen, it is just who has the balls to do it first... As for Release Dates, M$ will not release the 720 (or whatever it's name will be) in Japan first.... For one they are American and two it will fall flat on it's face if it is to compete with a PS4 in it's native country.

My Live subs are still live for about 14 months. I will review my gaming needs then but there is a chance the 360 (once Herman fixes it ) is the last major console I have bought... I can see myself possibly moving to an 'OnLive' solution should I still want to dabble with games.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope its not just that xbox loop rumour

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have thought for a long time that media would start to come on a flash card,Micro sd's are hitting 64 gig with class 10 speeds,i thought the future for the music industry would be to use this medium and also have in-store booths where you can transfer the tracks and pay the machine thus doing away with most counter staff.

How plausible would that be? i know cards cost money and they have to make money for the content...speeds could be an issue also but things are moving so fast with flash cards and ssd's that i think they could manage it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It would be nice to have a 64gb card, goto Game and get a download of a game onto it.
    You get home with an Activation code, it copies it to your machine and job done...

Of course you could do the same at home, but doing it in store would be quicker for the average person.

I think we will see discs again, it helps sell DVD's / Blueray etc.. Both $ony and M$ provide the service to download games, however they need to review the pricing policy first before going that way for all games...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    It would be nice to have a 64gb card, goto Game and get a download of a game onto it.
    You get home with an Activation code, it copies it to your machine and job done...

Of course you could do the same at home, but doing it in store would be quicker for the average person.

I think we will see discs again, it helps sell DVD's / Blueray etc.. Both $ony and M$ provide the service to download games, however they need to review the pricing policy first before going that way for all games...
    This would kill the second hand games market totally and remove the ability to trade in a game which a lot of people rely on as a cushion to the cost of a new game, I have also been conned into buying a bag of shit but have managed to trade it very quickly and get 85% of my cash back on a new game this would also no longer be possible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought they were trying to kill the second hand market anyway with the 'Exclusive DLC Codes' you get when buying a new game. Forza was a piss take for this.. and I understand some need a code to actually play online etc?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

New EA titles need a online code

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wont be long till they all require a code...Can't blame them really,Second hand market is screwed whatever happens,I like to trade games in and get newer titles and as was said if you get a cr@p games you can trade it straight away to cushion the blow.... Corporate companies don't care,they don't make much from it so they don't give a fudge

Thanks
    Karma Level

In one sense you can understand why the Console Makers do this, they want a slice of the pie that the retailers are eating.. I know it has been the case in the past where the retailers barely make any cash on the Hardware, it is the games... The manufacturers knock the consoles out at a loss and they want what they feel is theirs.

However, if they bite the hand that feeds them we could see a backlash... I think this is why some of the retailers have 'Exclusive Codes' for games, which is a piss take for the end user.. Why can I not have the Car Pack in Forza that someone got for buying the game from Play just because I bought mine from Game with a different code... Unfair really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    I bet a majority of the UK are on 1-2 meg connections or less at peek times I can't see them being purely digital downloads. We have 3 360's in our house and at peek times our Virgin 10meg drops to around 2 meg so if they were purely digital downloads we would be stuck for ages waiting for d/l's
    ya not this one but the xbox1080 or what ever will definitely be like onlive

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well Sony have announced today that no new console at E3... They said 10 years shelf life for the PS3 and they appear to be sticking with it...

All mind games if you ask me.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-...s-at-e3/089593

Sony is sticking to its guns and insists there will be no talk of what it plans to do beyond PS3 at June's E3.
    Speaking in response to our story last week that senior publishing execs are expecting new console announcements at E3, one of the format-holder's most senior execs has said "we are not making any announcements at E3".
    We reported word from our sources that Sony was expected to offer some glimpse at its future console plans to counter the assumed unveiling of Microsoft's 360 successor.
    Instead, the firm is repeating the official line that PS3 has a '10-year life cycle' which will mean no reason to release successive hardware.
    The Wall Street Journal reports that during a press roundtable at CES Sony's games and entertainment devices boss Kaz Hirai echoed statements from PlayStation chief Andrew House that said
    The brief statement reads: “Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3,” Hirai said. “I’ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that.”
    He was seemingly referencing the quote from House, made late last year prior to our story but posted by CVG as a spoiler on Monday which reads "I don’t think we’re contemplating talking about anything to do with future console iterations at this point."

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bet we see nothing..maybe a few concept videos (like with the very early move demo) but thats it

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say the next gen console games will be d/l only.

Optical media is not great for transfer of data, load times, physical damage etc. If they start chucking games on HD-DVD's or BD's then you will either wait ages for games to load or find that they all have to be installed/loaded to HDD. Step backwards to the days of loading a tape into a spectrum...

It will kill off the second hand market, but MS and Sony, plus the game makers wont give a shit, as they get fuck all from re-sales anyway.

I would also say, that these new consoles will be more media centres, not that the PS3 and X360 aren't but you know what I mean.

As for it being called the PS4 and X720, that's gay. Think up a new name FFS.

My 2p

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think media sizes will need to be above BD for a long time, in the past (ie PS to PS2 to PS3) we have seen big increases in video size, resolution and texture quality, the next generation probably wont rely on this for graphics improvements now and will be more about lighting and atmospheric effect. The 360 manages to do almost everything the PS3 can with a much smaller medium, so 50Gig disks should be fine for the next consoles.

Anyone who has a jtag 360 or a hacked PS3 will tell you that downloading and storing games on a HDD at this level isnt a great deal of fun too, especially if you have 2meg or less, as many in the UK (and America) do.

I think the industry would need to shift to a more episodic format (or onlive) for a console without a mass storage medium as its primary data source.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How can they possibly go all digital with current bb infrastructure ?with games like la noire , 20 gig plus . Most people would kill their allowance overnight .
    Games are getting bigger and the infrastructure just isn't in place for digital delivery for all yet . Most of my friends have 2-3meg lines with strict limits . It's defo the future but not in the next year or two .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by braymond View Post
    How can they possibly go all digital with current bb infrastructure ?
    Exactly this. There is 0 chance that any of the next gen consoles will be download only.

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

lithho (18th January 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't see download only as there are still far too many people who don't have consoles connected to the internet and until they can disregard/write off them users it will remain a physical media of some form. I believe they will however expand the use of codes to retail outlets in some form maybe you will buy a disk for a nominal fee with a demo version that is unlocked to a full game with a purchased at counter of a use once code this would totally kill the second hand game market.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think your right DJ OD. Buying any physical form of media might be a thing of the past. The cost of manufacturing will increase there profits and as you say takes away the 2nd hand market. You'd hope that this increases more sales and then brings the cost of game ownership down.......

I also think it'll be even harder to pirate games in this way. I only own 3-4 games at a time mainly due to the cost and value for money/quality of games, so not being able to get some money back on selling a game would hit me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    I dont think media sizes will need to be above BD for a long time, in the past (ie PS to PS2 to PS3) we have seen big increases in video size, resolution and texture quality, the next generation probably wont rely on this for graphics improvements now and will be more about lighting and atmospheric effect. The 360 manages to do almost everything the PS3 can with a much smaller medium, so 50Gig disks should be fine for the next consoles.

Anyone who has a jtag 360 or a hacked PS3 will tell you that downloading and storing games on a HDD at this level isnt a great deal of fun too, especially if you have 2meg or less, as many in the UK (and America) do.

I think the industry would need to shift to a more episodic format (or onlive) for a console without a mass storage medium as its primary data source.
    True the existing media is sufficient, but more and more games now come with additional downloadable content. You are buying half games now anyway...

By download only I mean, more like the console has a load of core code on it, you download some content, and the rest runs remotely. Just like onlive. Onlive is revolutionary, the big boys will steal the idea and implement it for sure.

It won't be like downloading a full disk .iso and running it like you would on a bent console.

Quote Originally Posted by braymond View Post
    How can they possibly go all digital with current bb infrastructure ?with games like la noire , 20 gig plus . Most people would kill their allowance overnight .
    Games are getting bigger and the infrastructure just isn't in place for digital delivery for all yet . Most of my friends have 2-3meg lines with strict limits . It's defo the future but not in the next year or two .
    Like i said, you wont need the whole game, just part of it, some code already built into the console, some remote running.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    Exactly this. There is 0 chance that any of the next gen consoles will be download only.
    Maybe not "only", but they will end up that way I am sure. Besides I have one already...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Maybe not "only", but they will end up that way I am sure. Besides I have one already...
    DJ OD
    The PSPgo? That worked well for Sony didnt it

Thanks to Sanj[UK]

lithho (18th January 2012)  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast