Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Next Xbox AND PS4 set for biggest ever E3

I meant I have a PS4 already... moment has gone... lol

Forgot about the PSPgo... I suppose that might be Sony testing the water, but I'm sure they are thinking of something to sort out their piracy problems, and handshaking software seems the only viable option. Any encrytption will inevitably get hacked in the end. Or code leaked etc.

BB has a point tho, they don't yet want to rule out the gamers that do not play online. But I am still surprised there are so many. My mate got the latest COD and played through it in a few days. That seems pointless to me. All the money and effort in making the game and done in a few days.

Could go either way. Time will tell.

Doesn't matter anyway, the world is going to end in December anyway.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

The PS4 will be crap anyway. The 720 Graphics are much betterer and so there!
    (Might as well get the Fan Boy views in early..)..

They all love to hype it up don't they. No doubt Sony will announce it is going on sale but only have 30 Consoles available to generate more hype like they have done in the past with the previous models...
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't realise you could play games offline.......
    Still yet to play mw3 in any other mode than multi-player!

Thanks
    Karma Level

you cant really use the PSPgo as a model for a download only console, it was a failure because it cost more than a normal PSP and had a far smaller catalogue, plus any games which were available on UMD and download were far more expensive as a download. They cocked up the whole thing is every possible way.

I honestly cant see a console going to a solely online experience within 10years, there's just far too many people out there with money to spend but without the ability to connect their console to the internet and there is probably still a huge percentage of those that do manage to chimp such an achievement that are too scared to stick their credit card details into a console. Look at the almighty storm thats brewing on the 360 right now, and the crisis that never was on the PSN. Theres a certain sense of security in going to a shop and handing over real money for a disk in a nice box with a printed manual. Eventually the industry will shift, even Nintendo are starting to offer a reasonable amount of exclusive online content and they are notorious for dragging their heels.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    download were far more expensive as a download. They cocked up the whole thing is every possible way.
    I think you've summed quite up a few download Vs physical media services out there, currently experiencing this problem with the wife's Kindle.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    I think you've summed quite up a few download Vs physical media services out there, currently experiencing this problem with the wife's Kindle.
    Whats your problem with kindle?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i presume he means downloading a book for it is more expensive than buying it from the shop in good old paper form.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep, although more convenient downloads should never be dearer IMO

Thanks
    Karma Level

I doubt very much that the PS4 will make an appearance. Sony will talk about it and show some FMV their graphics dept put together. Sony are still pushing on their 10 year life span and they are a stubborn company.

Microsoft may show some vids but I reckon their actual first show of the console running actual code will be at their X0 show. They like to make that event a big deal.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

i can imagine SSD's coming into play for these consoles myself as far as storage goes and reduced loading speeds I think that would be nice

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    i can imagine SSD's coming into play for these consoles myself as far as storage goes and reduced loading speeds I think that would be nice
    Fair point. And also it will push the prices up, meaning the money grabbing fux can make more money from selling them probably!

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They wont put SSD in to expensive at the moment for mass production.. unless hey aim it at higher market

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant see any sense in making these consoles download or online only. There's still a huge market for gamers who are interested in story-based gaming rather than walking around a map shooting the hell out of a 12yr old yank brat. Two of the games I've enjoyed most this year - Dead Space 2 and AC: Revelations - are more about story than anything else, in fact wasn't DS2 story only? Personally I have no interest in playing games like MW3 online, because I am a shit shot, I have slow reactions, and I'm a fucking sore loser, but I wanted to play through the story just to see how it ended anyway. I'm not much of an online gamer full stop, and the success of games like DS2, AC, Arkham City, Portal 2, LA Noire etc this year alone prove there's a lot of gamers out there like me.

As for delivery mechanism - fuck, I have no idea what MS will do here. The sensible option is for them to put Blu Ray in as far as I'm concerned, because they'd have to put massive storage in OR go with an onlive model, but that model could surely prevent a lot of users from uptake? I don't really know what broadband is like globally, but here in the UK alone its really poor in some areas, to me its a massive risk I wouldn't be prepared to take.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the idea of taking your console on holiday and playing offline would be gone as well. Dont know about you guys but whenever i got on a trip grabing the 360 and playing offline is a god send.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eblaster101 View Post
    the idea of taking your console on holiday and playing offline would be gone as well. Dont know about you guys but whenever i got on a trip grabbing the 360 and playing offline is a god send.
    yeah ok
    Last edited by HELPERS; 12th April 2012 at 01:03 PM.
    HTTP://FISTF.COM
    © 2011 FEDERATION INTERNATIONAL SPORTS TABLE FOOTBALL. All Rights Reserved

Thanks to HELPERS

raelmadrid (12th April 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Helpers....can you refrain from personal abuse please!!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eblaster101 View Post
    the idea of taking your console on holiday and playing offline would be gone as well. Dont know about you guys but whenever i got on a trip grabing the 360 and playing offline is a god send.
    I'll take your point that if away from a bb connection you can't take the machine anywhere else to play, round a friends or working away from home.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Microsoft have said a no show for Durango, and likewise there's probably a no show for sony's Orbis too. Suprised no one's talked about the supposidly leaked specs.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/04/0...ocessing-specs

The PlayStation 4, reportedly codenamed Orbis, may utilize custom chips based on AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, sources have told IGN, offering the combined performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.
    According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.
    User Submitted Concept Mock

The HD 7670 is a rebranded version of last year's HD 6670, sporting identical specs across the board. If you recall, the HD 6670 is the same card that we reported will be used in the Xbox 720. The implication, of course, is that the two systems will effectively go toe-to-toe as far as discrete graphics are concerned.
    By current standards, the HD 6670 is an entry-level processor with a price of about $74.99. Benchmark tests place framerate performance for taxing titles games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 set to high settings at a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) with average framerates of just over 30 frames-per-second. The chip also supports HDMI1.4a output, which is necessary for the system's rumored 4k output. Naturally, a comparably lightweight operating system and console-optimized games will likely improve performance, but the PS4's real edge could come from the secondary GPU provided by the APU.
    Onboard the A8-3850 is an HD 6550D, which makes the APU capable of running games at baseline specs and lower resolutions without the help of a discrete GPU. When the APU is paired with the HD 7670, however, Sony will be able to utilize an asymmetrical CrossFire configuration to share the load of realtime graphics processing.
    Our sources caution that while current plans for the device make use of the the chipsets mentioned, it is possible that changes could be made prior to the system's launch.
    With publishers rumored to have already begun development for the system and the system slated for a 2013 release, additional details are sure to emerge over the next few months.
    UPDATE: For further clarification, the chips being used in the PlayStation 4 are based on the off-the-shelf parts detailed above and are being custom tooled for the console. Exact specs may vary.

Thanks to mysterym

Chubbs (14th April 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The rumors (if believed) point back to Sony not aiming for top end cpu + pc gpu components, and instead taking the cheaper off the shelf hardware approach. Microsoft on the other hand have purportedly gone with an ibm cpu (16 core) and amd gpu.

Both will be a leap above the sub ps3\360 wii u. My bet is that Apple or Microsoft buy nintendo in a few years to fuel the gaming arms race.

Its all pie in the sky at the moment but good fun to read about

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's going to go down the digital download route. You only need to see how successful the Apple Store and Steam is.
    Stores will supply media (disc or memory card) but all that will give you is the game license and perhaps the first level of the game. As soon as you start the game and enter your key it will automatically start downloading (or even streaming maybe) the rest of the game. No more second-hand market and publishers make more money to cover the mega budget development budgets that the next next gen consoles demand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast