Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Tesco Broadband - Any good?

Hi, I'm currently planning on changing broadband supplier and found Tesco have a deal on at the moment for unlimited broadband and line rental for £16.25 per month for 12 months.

Has anyone used them or with them? What are they like?

I'm currently with Sky but as my 12 months half price tv is now finished and they haven't offered me a deal to stay I'm in the process of cancelling think going forward it'll be easier to keep my broadband and tv seperated.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't speak for Tesco but I cannot fault my sky bb.. luckily I got in before they started wanting you to take the phone package..at £7.50 for unlimited connection its a steal.. I think it's worth you really weighing up your options before you move.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

Thanks to mc.dodd

mark1984 (1st March 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tesco Broadband - Any good?

As soon as you cancel with sky mate just tell them you cant afford it.

They will offer it at half price again.

Also they ring every fucking day offering it again
    PS3 - FIFA 09 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    PS3 - FIFA 10 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    and now
    PS3 - FIFA 11 - DF CHAMPION!!!!

Thanks to matthewy2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    As soon as you cancel with sky mate just tell them you cant afford it.

They will offer it at half price again.

Also they ring every fucking day offering it again
    Thanks, but I tried that he said I'd used all the best deals available and the only thing he could offer me was free line rental, I said that wasn't good enough and I'd have to continue with the cancellation - he didnt even attempt to get me a better deal, I had been hoping for a call from them offering the half price deal again but nothing yet so I decided to move the phone and broadband to another provider to make it easier when using there 12 month deals...

Worst case scenario I'll join bethere but I was hoping that peeps may have used Tesco broadband due to its low cost, I'm might just give them ago and hope I can get out of the 12 months if there service it rubbish...

Thanks
    Karma Level

my mate used tesco a couple of years ago, crap but could of been the line to his house. he couldnt wait to get off it.
    he was paying for around 8mb at the time and only getting around half to 3 quater mb, he managed to get his money back as he never once recieved over 1mb think he got more in upload.
    MY BROADBAND IS LIKE A FERRARI
    BUT FITTED WITH A ROBIN RELIANT ENGINE
    LOOKS GOOD BUT GOES NOWHERE!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as I know, tesco was outsourced to NTL who ran the dsl service & billing. I'm presuming VM still have this contract... So you'd get a similar service to the VM offnet package.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies, think I might go for BE, I've been with them before... don't want to risk going for a dodgy service

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you can get Tesco LLU they now use C&W as the backbone, problem is tesco has a bad rep.....
    hacking the internet one bit at a time

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's such a hard decision, I've just read a lot of bad reviews for BE, apparently their service has declined... Not sure what to do, I've got the post office installing a new BT line in on Friday so I'll be losing all internet access so need to sign up to someone fast... My fear is to be stuck in a contract with constant disconnections and blocked newsgroups...

Thanks
    Karma Level

im with be and have been for 3 years

BE's service has definitely gone downhill, the last problems were a couple of weeks ago and lasted a week. Be didnt seem to give a shit.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I might take a gamble and try tesco, if its crap then I'll argue with them and move to someone like BT... It seems really hard these days to find a good reliable service provider that's or a reasonable price, never thought it would be such a hard task.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In a similar position, g/f is currently on virgin package but the speed throttle is terrible going from 10mb down to 2.5 at best after you have downloaded 1.5gb. She decided to cancel Virgin due to the prices going up. Signed up to post office for phone line which is a cracking deal of no install charge and £50 cash back at 12.25 a month but now have to get a broadband supplier. I was on BE but have just handed in my 30 day notice with them due to mis selling a phone and broadband package to me.

I am thinking of going with o2 has anyone got any experiance of them? Deal I found the other day was 6 months half price on all rounder plus £100 quidco. There is a 24/7 trafc management system on the line for peer to peer but the agent said it did not apply for newsgroups.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's what i did with the post office, believe it or not the guy on tesco sales actually advised me to do it with post office due to the free installation - so they scored on that point... I was looking at O2 but as I'm not a customer its not a cheap option, but I think they use the same as BE as in the exchange they are linked, I could be wrong but it might be O2 use BE's service?

If Tesco's deal is still available after Friday I might just sign up, its currently £16.25 for phone (free evening & weekend calls) and unlimited Broadband (up to 20mb)... 12 month contract but they do offer a 30 day rolling contract but you have to pay for installation (£40)... might be worth a shot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does tesco not have a poor fair usage policy / shape traffic management and a monthly download limit??

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You're right they do have a traffic management policy - http://www.tescobroadband.com/tesco-...-policies.aspx - mentions about restricting bit-torrent and peer to peer downloads during peak times but not during 12am & 6pm.
    Also there fair usage policy states that 100gb is there limit.

Not sure who else to try...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know you are just leaving them mate, but I have just got Sky Broadband as they have an offer on atm of 6mths free but I took the phone line as well - you'd have to check if that was part of the offer as I can't remember.

Works out to £12.50pm for 6mths (line rental only) then after that goes to £22.50pm (line rental and £10pm for broadband).

I was expecting it to be crap after being on VM 50mb for years but I'm getting the full 20mb and no capping (2mba sec D/L from newsgroups)

Thanks to rIKmAN

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

have a read here http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

I have been with Zen for 8 years and moved to sky earlier this month tbh they are as good as Zen considering im saving £20 a month, I avoid everything to do with Tesco as they bunch of cunts IMO

Thanks to Mobileman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another point here for sky,

cant fault them, CS excellent, speed excellent, and no download limit,

Plus QUIDCO!

Fon

Thanks to Fon

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well after searching I decided to ring Sky and see what they would offer me to stay, managed to get 12 months free line rental and free broadband (£19.75 per month saving) that was enough to get me to stay... I myself never had issues with Sky it was purely a cost thing and because I could find a reliable alternative for a reasonable price I stayed with the discounts given... and I must also agree that there customer services are brilliant, very polite and helpful even at 11pm at the end of their shift...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just spent what appears to be an entirity on the virtual chat to Tesco to clarify a few things. To help any other DFer who maybe thinking of joining them along with the OP here is the long story short

"
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]Aly: I can join Tesco when I have an active line, Newsgroups sites and internet tv is not effected by speed throttle / traffic management but are effected by amount of traffic on the line during entire day and night up to 12 midnight.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]Aly: I can try the £16.50 package for up to 3 months and if I am not happy with the speed that I am getting during that time I can simply say I want to leave and there will be no charge other than the one months notice period?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]Andrea: Yes, you can join Tesco provided we have network coverage in your area. We'll be able to confirm this when we have the telephone number and the line is active.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]Andrea: It's too early for us to give an estimate of the speed because we need the an active telephone line to check the speed.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]Andrea: Yes, you're correct, you can try the £16.25 deal ( if we have network coverage at your place) and if you're not happy with the speed or service, you can cancel within 3 months without paying a cancellation fee for the remaining months of your contract.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]Aly: I understand that you cant give a confirmed speed at this point in time. Can you confirm that my understanding of what I said above is correct or is there any part that I have missunderstood

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Aly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]Andrea: Yes, you've understood it right."

To sum up there seems to be an issue where they are basically saying at any point during the day or night up till midnight speeds could be low. She refused to give me a speed to expect due to not having an active line. She also could not give me a speed to expect during the peek time that would not be what was advertised.

Thanks to gandalf72