Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help SEO advice needed!

I'm about to give my business website a revamp and I'm going to be optimizing it for SEO with a number of keywords in mind but I have a few things I'm unsure of that I'm hoping one of you SEO gurus out there can help with!

1. Domains:
    I have a domain that my business has been using for 6 years. It is the name of my company but it isn't keyword related. It has a pagerank of 2 and about 1000 backlinks. It is also DMOZ registered. I havent spent any time on it so this is all just built up over time.
    I also have 9 other domains that are location+keyword related, These are all fairly newly registered and haven't been used so have 0 pagerank or backlinks.

Is it more beneficial for me to stick with my company name domain that has some history behind it or is it worth switching to a keyword related domain?
    I was originally planning on using the keyword domains as micro sites linking to my main site but I've since read that this is a bad idea as it can have a negative impact on SEO results (especially if hosted in the same place). I'm thinking now of not using them and having a 301 redirect in place instead. Then I would do companyname.com/location-keyword.html. Is this the way to go?

2. Keywords
    When using location based keywords is it better to have the location at the beginning or end of the keyword (cityname keyword or keyword cityname)

I'm sure i had a few more questions but that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: SEO advice needed!

The first question you should be asking yourself is, 'How important is a website to my business?'.

If the answer is 'very important', then employ professionals. If your answer is 'Fuck it, I'll do it on the cheap'. Then forget having a successful business.

Thanks to CzarJunkie

AspectUK (9th March 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

when changing domain you can take all the old history with you, I'm going to do it in the next month or so on one of my domains. It's done via google.

In terms of using the location at the beginning or end thats purely down to how people search for it. You need to check how many people search for the keyword phrase with location at before and end.

Thanks to theodotcom

x_Mr_C_x (10th March 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    The first question you should be asking yourself is, 'How important is a website to my business?'.

If the answer is 'very important', then employ professionals. If your answer is 'Fuck it, I'll do it on the cheap'. Then forget having a successful business.
    I'd sooner have a crack myself before hiring somebody. If it isn't performing well in 6 months or so then I'll probably look at hiring someone. The website isn't vital to the survival of my business as most of my current business comes from repeat business, referrals and local advertising but I'm sure I can make more money with it performing well in the search engines.

Thanks
    Karma Level

SEO is a funny business and one persons opinion might differ from anothers as apart from Google etc no one really knows how the algorithim works that ranks sites. But to give you a basic guide to what I would do....

First of all I would say you need to make sure your on-site SEO is nailed. Page titles, H1 tags, image ALT descriptions etc. There are loads of on-site SEO guides if you Google it and they all say pretty much the same thing. Ultimately make sure there are no errors in the code on your site and that the search engine crawlers can crawl the site without any problems (use W3C validation to check this).

Also make sure you're listed on Google Places.

For off-site, yes you used to be able to manipulate the search engines using black/grey hat techniques such as buying backlinks and using keyword based domains but Google is onto this and isn't giving as much ranking power to those sites as it used too.

For that reason I would retain your company domain name. If you really want to succeed online you need to establish your business as a reputable online brand and to do this you should use your company domain. Building some sort of social media presence will really help you achieve this and depending on the industry you trade in if you can add a blog to your site and add helpful relevant content that will attract visitors, for example, if you're an electrician you could write a blog article titled "Top 10 ways to reduce your electricity bill" bad example maybe but you see where I'm going.

Maintaing a social media prescence and writing blog articles can be time consuming and depending on your industry you might not be able to write about much but if you're really serious it can pay off big time so you'll need to weigh up the pro and cons of spending time on that sort of thing.

In summary stay strictly white hat, get your on-site SEO sorted, add unique helpful content to your site, build a social media presence and establish yourself and an authoritive online brand in your industry. At the very least doing any of that stuff won't harm your site and thats the main thing when trying out some SEO by yourself.

You'll also need to be in it for the long run, there's no quick wins in SEO, and as such it can take time to see results and be time consuming for you. Here's a couple of links that might offer some more advice http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-begin...l-business-seo and http://www.sugarrae.com/seo-sphere/s...ness-websites/

Thanks to Tzone

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DO NOT concentrate on keywords too much. Instead use of proper layout (<H1><H2>) and correctly structured pages along with relevant information for the queried search.

Google for one, completely ignores the meta keywords you can add to your site and will read the information on your site before ranking, too many repetitive mentions of a particular word on a site can also cause Google's spider to mark it as spam and can blacklist your site from further spider crawls.

Keyword targeting is BAD!
    Keyword suggesting is GOOD.

Making your site professionally built, using proper HTML coding far outweighs trying to cheat using the meta tags. Concentrating on your site and backlinks to your content (IE a blog) will hugely increase your traffic and thus improve your Search Engine strength.

No one real factor contributes to SEO. It's a combination of lots of different things and so long as your site is 'to the point' and laid out correctly, you should start to see traffic increase.

Having a 'niche' market obviously helps with SEO too and most places that sell online concentrate more towards their status with Google's shopping section and making themselves unbeatable against their competitors. Having more referrals from Google shopping section also contributes to your overall ranking for position. The more people visiting your site from the status of your products can only mean one thing - it's popular, so google recognises this and displays it in normal search results too.

A site I worked with wanted to get high results from the search term "Cheap perfumes" and threw thousands of pounds at it. The problem was obvious from the off, but he was adamant he wanted to have them keywords, it's a market that's already swamped and it turned out he got higher results from the term "Perfume Shop" - he's still only floating around page 2 though!

Getting exposure from SEO is a complicated and very competitive business and if you really want to succeed (or have to if it's an internet business) I would recommended seeking advice from the Pro's. Just make sure they are good. DeepSpaceDesigns are a UK company that come recommended (simply google "SEO Professionals" to see why), yet I think you should be ready to invest a lot of time, effort and cash with them. If you have competitors, they will also be watching your SEO strategy and will try to block you from achieving your goals - even seen it happen loads of times, especially from much larger companies that are getting knocked off the top spots. They will throw loads more money at it crushing your attempts.

If you insist on 'going it alone', you have probably already 'skimmed' this (typical google type, fun to read document), but reading and understanding it can help you improve your sites exposure pretty quickly.

Thanks to DejaVu

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Tzone and DejaVu. Some great advice there
    Last edited by x_Mr_C_x; 10th March 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is good question -
    1. you have update your domain url your website main keyword
    2. Which type of your business find same domain
    3. Find keyword local and Gable search traffic
    4. Find in 3 to 10 corrector in you domain name
    5. Use your sub url in your main keyword

If any other queries visit this website - iamac*nt.com
    Last edited by evilsatan; 26th July 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Spam removal

Thanks