Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Virgin Media SuperHUB

Hi,

I have just had a SuperHUB installed at my house and its been just over a week and the speeds are dire to say the least. I have read on the net that the best solution is to switch off the wireless, but I do not know the best way to do this, do I log in via the web to do this or do I hold the Virgin button down. Becuase I have tried holding the Virgin button down previously and just assumed I could hard wire my old router in (which is fine beacuse my connection is only 20mb so it should be fine handling that. But when I did this I was not getting a connection. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong and if someone could just point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Pratman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media SuperHUB

I've had the exact same problem with my SuperHub. So all I do is connect my laptop via ethernet which defeats the whole purpose of having wireless.

You can turn off the wireless through the web page, not sure how off hand I can post how when I'm back home.

Thanks to H4ss4n

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Superhubs have been shit from day one and firmware updates seem to have made no difference, I ordered one but kept my old modem in use when reading the horror stories, I use my own Dlink DIR 655 router too. If they want to make me use a Superhub when the speed upgrade hits S London (sometime never) I'll just keep everything as it is and keep the lower throughput in favour of reliability.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I also have my superhub sitting in the loft still in the box.
    It was awful when I last tried it (soon after they were issued) and still they haven't solved it.

I'm moving in a few months and have to decide whether to stay with Vermin or jump ship maybe to
    Openreach fibre which is not too far away in the area I will move to.

I also have my sky HD box so have that route If I want
    Nowadays, as downloads and content are getting harder to source, I probably don't need the bandwidth...

Thanks to supraman54

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you need a superhub if moving up from 50 to 100?

I've read you can just put them into modem only mode and use your own router.

Thanks to B.I.G.

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Four months now with my SuperHub and not a single problem. Wireless and wired speeds are perfect, never experienced an outage, etc.

Lets hope it continues.

Thanks to Brydo666

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

No problem with mine either. After reading loads of threads on how crap they are, I must be one of the very few lucky ones.

The wireless range covers the whole house and it rarely crashes. Randomly the HTTP server locks up (about once in a couple of months) so you can't access settings but a quick reboot covers that.

Absolutely no other problems at all, and that's with a shed-load connected to it (2 laptops, 3 iPhones, 2 hard-wired computers, a printer and a PS3),

Thanks to stimpy

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just a small problem with mine, I have to reboot it once a month as wireless goes slow... but not a major issue IMO. Fairly solid apart from that..

Thanks to Ginnerfreak

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine is rubbish as well. Wireless keeps dropping and the range is crap compared to my old Router. I've just home plugged it to my old Router which is located centrally in the house and I use that for anything Wireless. Not ideal but i'll cancel when my 12 months is up so it'll do for now.

Thanks to liveseytowers

pratman (2nd April 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My router is shit as well, i was on the pilot for these with VM and i said it all the way through.

I have disabled wireless and plugged in my old N-Vision to do the wireless, it has been a lot better since i did that but i still have times where browsing some stuff is just slow for no reason.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ok everyone, right i got pissed off when i got in from work and so i muddled through and disabled the wireless on the superHUB and just about managed to fluke getting my old router working and now its all working at maximum speed so now i am a happy bunny, thanks for oyur feedback and help everyone

Thanks
    Karma Level

always having problems here, i disabled the wireless straight away as i only ever got 2 bars at no more than 12ft away in the same god dam room as the hub, i linked the dlink router that virgin sent with an old modem and that took a while to set up, i have to a least reset the modem about 3 times a day not sure why, i leave it off for half hour a time, as the connection goes crap, im not a heavy downloader so i'm not geting capped but my next door neighbour does it 24/7, when he goes out drinking he switches it all off and i get the best connection going (xbox live) i have told virgin this and they say he wont affect me what so ever but i know different. i have also logged on to his connection with a laptop done speed test and ping test and his connection is shit hot. i hate these super hubs and wish i had the old modem but virgin wont send me one out.
    MY BROADBAND IS LIKE A FERRARI
    BUT FITTED WITH A ROBIN RELIANT ENGINE
    LOOKS GOOD BUT GOES NOWHERE!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine was never that bad but I preferred the extra control of the Draytek. When the new firmware was released I switched it into modem mode and haven't touched it since.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am contemplating going to Virgin fibre optic as I am with Be. They are brilliant as they have never cut me off for daft downloading but I get 3meg max down !! With the TV,Laptops/Ipads/PC's and now even the amp all through it - watching HD trailers online can be dreadful. Despite the superhub issues is the service any good ??

Cheers

Si

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by superflysi View Post
    I am contemplating going to Virgin fibre optic as I am with Be. They are brilliant as they have never cut me off for daft downloading but I get 3meg max down !! With the TV,Laptops/Ipads/PC's and now even the amp all through it - watching HD trailers online can be dreadful. Despite the superhub issues is the service any good ??

Cheers

Si
    To be honest i have been with the company for 12 years throughout its changes from ComTel to NTL to Virgin Media and 2 issues I have had in 12 years and the first was that someone burned down a regional box so i was out of internet for a few days but they were great with getting it sorted out asap, and second one was my Modem dying but if a modem dies after 6 years that is not a problem really and they replaced it with a superhub. in terms of billing nad customer service they are very good and i have no complaints over that, so i would definately recommend Virgin to anyone as long as they can get the service in their area.

I hope that helps mate

Pratman

Thanks
    Karma Level

10Gb into a 15gb file.

I'm on 30Mb service via Superhub. As you can see (see image), constant rate on a single file. A little over 50 minutes to pull the 10gb down so far. No STM introduced as past the 9pm threshold. I'm happy enough with it all.

I guess if people are using the wireless and having issues, most of us have a spare wireless router hanging about in the house, switch the Superhub to modem only mode via 192.168.0.1, plug in your spare wireless router and all will be well.

Untitled-1.jpg

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    10Gb into a 15gb file.

I'm on 30Mb service via Superhub. As you can see (see image), constant rate on a single file. A little over 50 minutes to pull the 10gb down so far. No STM introduced as past the 9pm threshold. I'm happy enough with it all.

I guess if people are using the wireless and having issues, most of us have a spare wireless router hanging about in the house, switch the Superhub to modem only mode via 192.168.0.1, plug in your spare wireless router and all will be well.

Untitled-1.jpg

Totally agree, my service is back to normal now i have put the SuperHUB into Modem mode only.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have only just this minute had my Super Modem installed. I got that beast set immediately to 'Modem Mode' and connected it to my rather superb Asus RT-N56U Wireless Router. Job's a good 'un.
    1894045384.jpg

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had my super hub installed well pleased with the results so far

roll on July for the upgrade lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

what u mean into modem mode???? i never got a problem with mine but the again i have a time capsule and using the wireless on that can i use the time capsule as a router rather than my super-hub as an access point???
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast