Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Tunisia - Djerba or Marrakech?

Anyone been? Seem some cracking deals for June, is there much to do, quad biking, nightlife etc?Any tips welcome

Also same questions apply to Marrakech....
    Last edited by tigro; 7th April 2012 at 12:12 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tunisia - Djerba

i worked about a mile offshore from there and could see all along the main drag on a night it looked good from out there, when we got onshore and had a look around - its was a bit of a dirty fucking shithole to be honest, i only spent 2 days there, out of season, so i am probably not the best person to ask. but there is deffo a reason why its so cheap IMO!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Spent honeymoon in Tunisia I thought the place was a dump. Spent time in Tunis and a couple of other cities close by, can't regiment the names now but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm actually quite fond of Tunisia. About 6 years ago I spent two weeks travelling through the country (bus, train, shared taxi) starting from Tunis in the North all the way south to Douz (gateway to the Sahara dessert) via Sfax, Kairoune and Djerba and had a fabulous time.
    Speaking French definitely helped alot as you move away from the touristy areas this is the only foreign language spoken. As for Djerba I really liked it for what it was, a package tourist destination with a few nice resorts and very cheap all inc hotels. I went there again 3 years ago with the missus and we stayed at a reasonable 4-star (equates to a 2-3 star by Euro standards). We went quad biking, 4x4 dessert safari (bit shit tbh), had several excellent spa treatments (the thalasso mud wrap has to be tried) and ate famously at the numerous restaurants in the various hotels and in town. For a cheap n cheerful break it can't be beat, and the Tunisians are overwhelmingly warm and friendly.

As for Marrakech, another excellent destination but bear in mind that its obviously not a beach holiday. All the activities are inland and revolve around sightseeing imperial Moroccan architecture, trekking in the mountains and just enjoying what this ancient city has to offer. Its certainly a lot more up-market and expensive that the likes of Tunisia. I would call it more of a yuppie destination.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

tigro (19th April 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the answers, looks like I am going to either Gran Canaria or Tenerife now, the missus has had her own way even though I am paying for the bloody holiday!