Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

RIP England Squad for Euros

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)
    Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)
    Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)
    Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Birmingham keeper Jack Butland is among the list of five standby players, which also includes Manchester City winger Adam Johnson, Chelsea strikerDaniel Sturridge, Everton defender Phil Jagielka and Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: England Squad for Euros

Got to say not hugely impressed, same old shite, no one really different or exciting apart from Oxlade-Chamberlain, and a good few players who should be nowhere near the team IMO. How the fuck James Milner gets in and Michael Carrick, arguably United's player of the season, misses out I will never know. And lets be honest, Stuart Downing and Andy Carroll? Seriously? What planet Roy, what planet?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can someone please explain to me how Glen Johnson is better than Micah Richards?

Thanks
    Karma Level

So, no Wio, no Wichards, no Cawwik, I'll scweam & scweam, until I'm sick....

Thanks
    Karma Level

And this my friends is why people should stop expecting England to win anything. Apart from a few bizarre decisions (Downing, Johnson) this is probably the best this country has to offer. It's not really the manager's fault, he's picked the best of a bad bunch.

England, as they have been doing for the last 48 years in international competition, will produce nothing of note at the Euros.

2 Thanks given to cyprus

Bald Bouncer (16th May 2012),  ilscuro (16th May 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No Richards, no Johnson! Feckin Downing!!!! I can understand Carroll because he will give something different if we are losing with 10 mins left, i.e. Pumping the ball into the box, lets give the man a chance though and see what happens

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    And this my friends is why people should stop expecting England to win anything. Apart from a few bizarre decisions (Downing, Johnson) this is probably the best this country has to offer. It's not really the manager's fault, he's picked the best of a bad bunch.

England, as they have been doing for the last 48 years in international competition, will produce nothing of note at the Euros.
    I'm not sure many people expect England to win anymore, certainly after 2010 surely no-one in their right mind expects England to win. However, surely with the right team and right tactics England COULD win - heck, Greece won this tournament in 2004, and that clearly wasn't down to individual brilliance of the players. I can only assume it came down to the team playing as a team, and executing the tactics of the coach fully. And of course a little bit of luck along the way.

However, the team he has picked just says 2010 all over again. Or 2008. Or 2006. Or any time when the core of the team has been Terry, Gerrard, Lampard and Barry. 4 players who have proven repeatedly that they either aren't good enough, can't play together or, in the case of Terry, are so detrimental to the team that they shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. To this shit base he's added another Heskey, a guy who's scored less goals than Tim Howard this season in Stuart Downing, a goalkeeper from the Championship who has been found wanting repeatedly, and a player who was a bit part all season for his club in Milner.

As I've said time and time again about United, its not the losing that matters, its about competing and desire, and I don't see how the probably starting XI have that in them.

2 Thanks given to BBK

lloydi (16th May 2012),  Q-Ball (16th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

WTF!!!!

Just seen this on BBC:

Ben McNamee on Twitter: "Adam Johnson PL stats: 26 apps, 6 goals. Andy Carroll & Stewart Downing combined stats: 71 apps, 4 goals. Beggars belief."

Attached Images Attached Images

2 Thanks given to lloydi

flik (16th May 2012),  Thrush (16th May 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Completely gutted that Downing got the nod ahead of Adam Johnson. Yes johnson hasnt played all that many games this season, but look at the players he has to compete against to get a start. Downing has had a terrible season, his confidence is in tatters anyway, I cant see him suddenly turning it on at international level. I dont want to jump on the bandwagon and start bashing Roy without giving him a chance, but I think he's missed a trick there. Also agree Richards should have been picked ahead of Glen johnson. And im a liverpool fan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

At least he picked Ruddy. But apart from that nothing stands out to me as any different from previous dismal campaigns.

Awful.

I will still cheer and have a very, very small bit of hope. Come on England.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Roy Mentioned Oxlade-Chamberlain's performance against Milan where "he dealt with Pirlo" very well. I take it this is the same Pirlo who's been playing for Juventus all season?

"Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surely Crouch is a better bet than Carroll??? Proven goal scorer for England and Stoke, thought he might of taken a punt on Bent, back from injury now!! I can see why Carrick wasn't picked, poor in my opinion. Adam Johnson should of gone, otherwise I guess the team picks itself. I thought Parker was injured? Shame Kyle Walker wasnt avaialbale
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

Thanks to k11jrp

ilscuro (16th May 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont understadn how he can only select 4 strikers when he knows one of them is out for the first 2 games. and downing...........what the fuck he couldnt cross a road, i would have liekd to have seen either johnson or lennon in or both instead of downing and walcott. and definately think crouch should have been given a call up for this tournament.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think people are been harsh on Downing.
    He was man of the match in the Carling Cup final and other than Suarez, he has been Liverpools best player this season.

I have watched many games and his delivery is very good. The problem is he has had no one in the positions they should be in to get on the end.

That's been a Liverpool management issue and not Downings.

He is consistent and there is no one better at the moment or as experienced.
    I'm a Adam Johnson fan also, but he is selfish at times which is not ideal for the Euros.

Let's face it, any manager would have been slated with the decisions they would have made. I still cannot believe Lampard and Gerrard are both in the squad! Do they never learn??
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope, still can't see it with Scott Parker :\ I really can't understand this choice. All I can assume is that he is a yes man and can deep throat a manager without gagging!

A few strange choices in there for me, Downing being one and Terry being another. Downing may have been a worker but without output he is nothing. Terry is just a liability!
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

Thanks
    Karma Level

In addition, Downing did get an assist in the league this season against QPR (another game Liverpool lost).
    He also got 2 goals and 2 assists in the FA Cup.

Prolific, No. But then he was playing for a team this season that have struggled.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    i dont understadn how he can only select 4 strikers when he knows one of them is out for the first 2 games. and downing...........what the fuck he couldnt cross a road, i would have liekd to have seen either johnson or lennon in or both instead of downing and walcott. and definately think crouch should have been given a call up for this tournament.

Downing is a superior crosser of the ball in comparison to Lennon. Johnson is the best of the three but has suffered because of the fact he has played very limitedly for Man City. Downing is also the only winger who is naturally left footed.

I am a big fan of Carroll. Yes, he hasn't been prolific for Liverpool. But he has a fantastic left foot and is very good in the air. He is also peaking at the right time for the tournament.

We all better start our virgin sacrifices to the gods if we are to qualify from the group though.

To others questioning Scott Parker. He has been arguably Spur's best player this season. I have watched many of their games. He is also our ONLY holding midfielder. Gareth Barry is not disciplined, does not hold and is too often caught out of position. If any CMs should be dropped Barry should be first. I don't want to say it.... But.... Paul Scholes should have been asked. He holds position very well, and should get a lot more time on the ball than in the prem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are not a great deal of alternatives. I would have personally left John Terry out and tried to get Scholes out of retirement but on the whole it's much as I expected. Hodgsons strength has always been organising and coaching mediocre players so this will stand him in good stead, assuming the England players realise that they are average.
    Last edited by TJB; 16th May 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Screams 4-5-1 to me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Screams 4-5-1 to me.

Me too. If we are talking about his first nine games in charge. L-D-W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast