Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help VLC and iPlayer stuttering and playback issues.

I have a Sony Viao and until recently enjoyed HD content via BBCiplayer and VLC media player. Files up to 6gb have played fine.

Recently it is struggling. I am not running anything that I do normally. Nor Have I installed anything new. I since having the issues I cleared BBCiPlayer, uninstalled and reinstalled it. And too, I took of VLC and reinstalled. I have cleared crap out of my PC and defrayed the PC a couple of times.

However, the problems still persist.

On play back, with BBCiPlayer, it can slow down, get out of sink, then distort and skip to catch up with itself. I have had more luck with SD tv, but not always reliable.

With VLC, it really is hit and miss. I can sometimes play (same file) fine and other times, it slows down and struggles.

I have tried it with Internet on and Off. I have gone into CTask Manager and shut down every other non essential running applications even if they are not operating.

The result appears to improve BBCiPlayer, but not always and VLC just continues to be temperamental.

iPlyaer and VLC when struggling show my CPU to be hitting low to high 90's.

ANy suggestions, tips, pointers, ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers…..Q

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: VLC and iPlayer stuttering and playback issues.

VLC, tools, preferences, inputs & codecs and enable GPU accelerated decoding and see if that helps. Also try it in safe mode if that allows VLC to run. Sounds like you are low on resources but strange that it used to work unless the apps have updated and need more oomph.

Thanks
    Karma Level

VLC seemed to be fine for some time and I thought this had sorted it. Still serious issues with the iPlayer.

Unfortunately, at the weekend, VLC really went through a bad patch. It was only resolved when I shut down the laptop, restarted, had WiFi off, then shut down all non essential applications (even though not taking up any CPU power) and tried again.

It worked for 15 minutes. I then tried another film (I had previous issues with) and it was fine.

All very strange. I am tempted to do a serious tidy and install Windows7

Q

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like a similar problem my father in-law had with his dell laptop. Turned out Windows Update replaced his SATA drivers. I restored back to the ones from Dell and it was all working fine again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
    Sounds like a similar problem my father in-law had with his dell laptop. Turned out Windows Update replaced his SATA drivers. I restored back to the ones from Dell and it was all working fine again.
    That sounds like a hard [problem to have diagnosed.

I am starting a fresh again. But will consider this (drivers) issue.

Cheers.....Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

My VLC was working fine until I updated to the latest version last week, and then 1080p files were stuttering, not badly or anything but just like a few frames were missing so it looks kinda juddery or something, same with the 64bit version.

Deleted it and went back to the old version and the same thing was happening, so tried the same files in MPC and they were back to perfect again so using that for 1080s for now as I can't be arsed to sort it out, and VLC plays everything else fine.

Dunno if it's related to your problem, but could be VLC at fault so maybe try MPC - not sure about the iPlayer issue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rIKmAN View Post
    My VLC was working fine until I updated to the latest version last week, and then 1080p files were stuttering, not badly or anything but just like a few frames were missing so it looks kinda juddery or something, same with the 64bit version.

Deleted it and went back to the old version and the same thing was happening, so tried the same files in MPC and they were back to perfect again so using that for 1080s for now as I can't be arsed to sort it out, and VLC plays everything else fine.

Dunno if it's related to your problem, but could be VLC at fault so maybe try MPC - not sure about the iPlayer issue.
    Cheers, what a pain. So far, all this, iPlayer and now issues with Vuze. It might appear TV is telling me to do something else!

Thanks for the suggestion. Stupidly never thought about trying another player!

Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another vote for MPC. My Laptop is not supposed to play 1080ps due to a weak graphics card. The rest of the spec on the lappy is very good. Anyway 1080s stutter with vlc, I have done all the usual tweaks but that doesn't help. MPC though plays them perfectly.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

try also cleaning your hard drive and using the disk cleanup and drive defragmentor, if it carries on change the temp location that the player uses to another drive and see if thatr helps
    A wise man once said " "