DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default One killed, 6 wounded in Toronto mall shooting

Sat Jun 2, 2012 11:34pm EDT

* Police hunting for shooter
    * Eaton Centre is top tourist destination

By Allison Martell

TORONTO, June 2 (Reuters) - One man was killed and six other people were wounded by gunfire, two critically, in a shooting at Toronto's main downtown mall on Saturday, a rare occurrence of major gun violence in Canada's largest city.
    One of the victims in critical condition was a 13-year-old boy, a police spokesman said. Seven people in total were shot or grazed, while a pregnant woman was knocked down in the melee that followed and went into labor.
    Police said the shooter was still at large.
    "It's terrible when you hear something like this. My heart goes out to the families that have been affected by this terrible crime. We have to apprehend this shooter," Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who was visibly distraught, told reporters at the scene.
    The shooting happened shortly after 6 p.m. in a food court at the Eaton Centre, one of the city's top tourist destinations. Some witnesses interviewed by local television stations said they heard more than half a dozen shots, which triggered a rush to flee the scene.
    The building was evacuated and quickly surrounded by dozens of police cars, emergency vehicles and forensic vans.
    Police said the man killed was 25 years old, while the other victim in critical condition was a 20-year-old man.
    Toronto police chief Bill Blair told reporters the injuries suffered by the fatal gunshot victim suggested he had been targeted.
    Two females and another male suffered serious gunshot wounds, while another female was grazed by a bullet, police said.
    "A lot of innocent people were hurt and a lot of innocent people were put at risk. We will be relentless in our pursuit of the individual or individuals responsible for this violence," Blair said.
    "It's shocking to us. It's shocking to all the people of Toronto."
    The incident revived memories of another shooting that happened just north of the Eaton Centre on Dec. 26, 2005, Canada's Boxing Day holiday, in which a 15-year-old girl was killed and several other people were wounded. That shooting was believed to be gang-related.
    Canada has stringent controls on handguns and a lower rate of gun-related violence than the neighboring United States. But mass shootings are not unknown.
    In 1989, a lone gunman targeting women killed 14 people at a Montreal university, an event that became known as the Montreal massacre. (Writing by Jeffrey Hodgson; Editing by Peter Cooney)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8H23MW20120603
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: One killed, 6 wounded in Toronto mall shooting

..unable to understand these type of things. And how do you solve them, as they are not something that can be predicted.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    ..unable to understand these type of things. And how do you solve them, as they are not something that can be predicted.
    Teachers, parents, colleagues should look out for warning signs. We know nothing about this shooter, but some previous ones have been lone, depressed individuals with a keen interest in guns. It's also interesting to see how many post messages on Facebook or YouTube hinting at some dramatic act, and it's only when they've committed the crime that the full impact of what they've posted is realised. So my idea is that both FB and other social media sites should have a very actively monitored report button that is escalated to local police if staff think there is a danger to the public.

Ultimately though there is little more you can do to stop people who are suicidal and want to take as many people with them.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seems like the guy is still on the run.
    The link in the original article, although updated three times, still gives no clue to his identity.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    So my idea is that both FB and other social media sites should have a very actively monitored report button that is escalated to local police if staff think there is a danger to the public.
    That would be very intrusive. Due to the well known link they should pay more attention to people that willingly inflict suffering on animals.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This would appear to be a gang related crime.
    Apparently the identity of the killer is known and an arrest warrant will be issued within the next couple of days.

Spoiler:
    Info courtesy of Max over at info hump
    Spoiler:
    Who is in the police force atToronto
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Update: Apparently he's been arrested now.