Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Liverpool's Steven Gerrard says Brendan Rodgers was first choice

Steven Gerrard has taken a swipe at Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan as
    Liverpool's captain insisted Brendan Rodgers was always first choice to succeed
    Kenny Dalglish as manager.
    The Anfield club have been privately dismayed at
    Whelan's public discussion of Liverpool's search for a new manager - especially
    when he claimed Wigan's
    Roberto Martinez had been made an offer
    after meeting the club's American
    owners in Miami.

Despite the club holding talks with Martinez, Rodgers emerged as Liverpool's
    favoured option and signed a three-year deal at Anfield.

Gerrard is with England's Euro 2012 squad ahead of Saturday's final friendly
    against Belgium at Wembley before their campaign opens against France on 11 June
    in Donetsk.

He said: "I've been kept in the loop all along by the board and the owners
    and he was always first choice - so take no notice of Dave Whelan.

"I can go on record and guarantee he was first choice."

The England captain is pleased by the arrival of 39-year-old Rodgers, adding:
    "I've kept my eye on the television and am aware of what's happened. I spoke to
    Brendan on Thursday night for quite some time.

"I'm very excited and looking forward to working with him. Before I spoke to
    him I had heard great things from the Chelsea boys and a few of the others who
    have worked with him. I've done a bit of homework and everyone speaks really
    well of him.

"He never went into detail about his visions for the
    club but I'm sure he will in future. It was basically just a meet and greet kind
    of phone call.

"As a player you don't like to see changes in managers. You want continuity.
    Hopefully he can progress the team, move us forward and stay for a long time.
    It's good to work with a manager for a long time. You get used to him and into a
    rhythm.

"Brendan is excited and looking forward to working with all of the players at
    Liverpool - I feel exactly the same."

Gerrard has also backed his 21-year-old Liverpool team-mate Jordan Henderson
    to make an impact at Euro 2012 if he gets the opportunity after replacing
    Chelsea's Frank Lampard, who was forced to withdraw with a thigh injury.

"Jordan's had a little bit of criticism," said Gerrard, "but credit to him.
    He's played through it and he was getting stronger and stronger towards the end
    of the season. He did well when he came on against Norway.

"The manager Roy Hodgson has seen a lot of him in the Under-21s, where he has
    been fantastic. He's got a very bright future. People judge Jordan on his price
    tag rather than his age, potential and what he's going to do in the future.

"He's still got everything ahead of him. I was nowhere near the finished
    article at 21 and had a lot of learning and improving to do. I'm sure Jordan
    will do the same.

"Jordan is a very good passer, very fit, looks after himself and never
    touches alcohol. He's got a body a lot of footballers would be jealous of. He's
    a big strong lad who can get around the pitch. With time, games in the Premier
    League and experience at this level, he will get better and better. I'm sure of
    it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18304837

Is it me or does anyone else think this is tosh? as it wernt so long ago it was stating in the press that Martinez was enroute to America to discuss with the owners over this job, yet if Rodgers was first choice then why did they approach Martinez?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Liverpool's Steven Gerrard says Brendan Rodgers was first choice

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18304837

Is it me or does anyone else think this is tosh? as it wernt so long ago it was stating in the press that Martinez was enroute to America to discuss with the owners over this job, yet if Rodgers was first choice then why did they approach Martinez?
    Because rodgers turned the job down the first time. Martinez was the only one in contention until Liverpool asked again.

I just hope roger has a wider range of player knowledge than the players that we are currently getting rumoured with so far. Its either swansea or the championship. Its ok if he brings a couple of players in that he knows well. But we are trying to compete at the top. He probably has around 30m/40m to spend. I see a lot of rumours for wingers which we have needed for years. We also need a striker. That should sort it if the loans come back. So he could spend quite large sums of decent talent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bring owen back on pay as he play thingy. He still has it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was looking at the Liverpool stats. Considering Adam was said to have had a bad season. He was our top assist. Plus he hardly played due to injury. He has quality but he needs to get match fit and lose some tub. Im fatter than him but for a footballer hes carrying too much. I hope Rodger keeps him as he would be a good squad player with the potential of being more.