Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media 'Super Hub' - WTF

You will need a relatively newish router if you are on 100Mbit and want to use the Superhub in modem mode with a router (Older ones don't have the horsepower to push packets at that rate) or you can connect your superhub to your pc with it in modem mode..

Thanks to hjf288

H4ss4n (19th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
    Mine works but as soon as utorrent has a few peers on it Internet shuts of .. Well known issue with it ..any one know best setting for utorrent

At the risk of feeling the wrath of others, ensure your torrents aren't using ALL of your available upstream.

I have uTorrent set to ALL defaults however I have the upstream capped at 10K/sec. I can Torrent, play online games or browse the web with no noticeable degradation in service .

Too many people have their torrent client allowing all available upstream. Then there's very little or zero bandwidth for basic stuff.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

darkstar (19th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
    You will need a relatively newish router if you are on 100Mbit and want to use the Superhub in modem mode with a router (Older ones don't have the horsepower to push packets at that rate) or you can connect your superhub to your pc with it in modem mode..
    Thanks mate. Think i'll get this from ebay.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are on 100Mbit service or planning to go up to it - you want a router with Gigabit (10/100/1000) ports, the one you linked only has 10/100..

I'd recommend the Linksys E2000 if you can get one at a decent price..

Thanks
    Karma Level

reviews of dual band wireless n routers on theregister today http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/1..._wifi_routers/. Thinking about the asus myself.

Thanks to Mobius

H4ss4n (25th June 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Unfortunately I've had one of these installed, cause my original modem which I've had for years gave up. I'm having nowt but problems with it. Got an engineer comming out tomorrow. The modem keeps dropping out and the wireless is shite too. Piece of shite!!
    TAR seems to be a decent bloke!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

New firmware is in beta and being tested. Mine seems much more solid at the moment. Real test will be later tonight from the loft where it was woeful.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Hi all,

I've done a quick search and couldn't find what I wanted - hope someone can help or share experience.

Since I had an upgrade from 10Mb to 60Mb with Virgin, they took my old hardware and left me a behemoth 'Super Hub'. Apart from it being too big for the shelf the old stuff sat on, I must say I'm more than concerned at the frequency of it's failure. Intermittent wireless dropouts and total freezes are a regular occurrence.

Have I got a duff one, or have others had this problem? I'm at my wit's end with Virgin Media and their 'customer support', they are thick as two short planks.

Anyone know of any firmware upgrades that might make any odds? I'm going to keep an eye on the uptimes and make notes to throw at them the next time I feel like a rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    If its a wireless issue you can put the superhub into modem only mode and use your old router.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I've read a lot of people complaining about the super hub but I must say that mine has worked perfectly since I got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbshark View Post
    yeah the superhub is shit simple as.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigro View Post
    Superhub is utter garbage, I can only get a signal of 1 bar on my iPad upstairs. But I can get my Neighbour 2 houses away perfectly at full signal.

Tried everything and came to the conclusion the superhub is a pile of shite.

Will be leaving virgin and going else where shortly. Customer service is a joke.
    It's a joke when you've got to put a hub into modem mode (yes it works fine as a modem only) but these hubs should also work perfectly well as a wireless router besides (after all that's what we pay for) - IMHO if we have to go into modem modem then VM should compensate us Ģ100 each so we can buy a decent cable wireless router.

I've had loads of discussions with VM customer relation teams about their so called superhub (not super at all) and have put it to them that they should use the same manufacturer as BT who's hubs work perfectly fine regarding its wireless connectivity cos Netgear products (the manufacturer of the superhub) are not good with Wi-Fi (believe me I've tried and tested all their cable wireless router range and not once could I get satisfactory from any of them. Virgin Media need to accept their shubs are hopeless and hopefully maybe soon they take my word and actually consider my proposal.

Oh and by the way I was accepted for the R36 firmware beta trial which commenced on the 19th June 2012 which was suppose to fix known issues with their shubs Wi-Fi and the issues with the hub itself resetting itself to factory defaults and still it's as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Think I'll switch over to BT Infinity when it comes available in my area, simple as.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had no issues with the Superhub at all and mine has a better range than the previous router I had from VM. I've had my Superhub for about 3 months.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    I've had no issues with the Superhub at all and mine has a better range than the previous router I had from VM. I've had my Superhub for about 3 months.
    That's very rare hearing that.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by VM Shub are crap View Post
    That's very rare hearing that.
    Human nature that people will make an effort to complain but won't say when things are working fine.

Mine works well also.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Human nature that people will make an effort to complain but won't say when things are working fine.
    I agree with that, i have heard stories of where people are not having issues, and clearly thats what VM will look at when looking at seeing whether service is being affected, but most people that have problems will not report them to VM and will do what we have done and turn off the wireless router and use a separate router, and as VM dont get any complaints they will never really investigate or try to fix what is going wrong with the device itself. Personally even though mine isnt working as a dual device, i am not gonna complain as my old router is working just fine and my service continues to work as normal. We shall see in about a months time as this is when my service is due to be doubled in speed, ifthere is an issue then, i will look at the matter and raise it with them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine works well also.
    Why would anybody ring their provider to say "it's working fine?"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    I agree with that, i have heard stories of where people are not having issues, and clearly thats what VM will look at when looking at seeing whether service is being affected, but most people that have problems will not report them to VM and will do what we have done and turn off the wireless router and use a separate router, and as VM dont get any complaints they will never really investigate or try to fix what is going wrong with the device itself. Personally even though mine isnt working as a dual device, i am not gonna complain as my old router is working just fine and my service continues to work as normal. We shall see in about a months time as this is when my service is due to be doubled in speed, ifthere is an issue then, i will look at the matter and raise it with them.
    I bet those stories you've heard are from the ones who put their hubs into modem mode, because of that, VM are getting away with it ...makes me wonder if I'm just one of few who does complain (btw I'm not Victor Meldrew)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Why would anybody ring their provider to say "it's working fine?"
    Exactly. But there will always be people that have problems, just that most don't join forums purely to gripe about them. Do you know statistics for the percentage of people that have problems with their hubs? You appear to be a victim of confirmation bias.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
    I'd recommend the Linksys E2000 if you can get one at a decent price..
    I wouldn't. They are very well known for instability due to overheating http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=...w=1600&bih=995

Thanks to Over Carl

H4ss4n (25th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Exactly. But there will always be people that have problems, just that most don't join forums purely to gripe about them.
    I joined just to moan on here cos their official VM help/support forum don't like you speaking the truth regarding their crap hubs, also was hoping I could get those who's complained about the hubs on here to ring VM and nag them to fuck like I do (and others who don't like being fucked about and being ripped off) and say "when are you going to use them reliable hubs that BT uses?" (more the merrier)

Do you know statistics for the percentage of people that have problems with their hubs? You appear to be a victim of confirmation bias.
    Untrue.

TBH I don't analyse stats but I've heard from all my family/friends and their friends who have these VM shubs all say they have the same issues plus you see the same complaints on loads of various internet forums.

Don't mean to be rude but you seem to be defending VM, do you work for them by any chance?

I'll be speaking to watchdog tomorrow and also small claims court as I want money from VM for a cable wireless router cos all they can recommend is that I should put my shub into modem mode.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mines utter shite, i had VM installed in Feb and the wireelss connection to my xbox360 is terrible, get loads of lag and tonite i couldnt even do the system update.
    Would love to get out of the contract with VM, at my old house i had BE only got 5mb but never,never ever in 4 years did i have a problem with them.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I joined just to moan on here cos their official VM help/support forum don't like you speaking the truth regarding their crap hubs, also was hoping I could get those who's complained about the hubs on here to ring VM and nag them to fuck like I do (and others who don't like being fucked about and being ripped off) and say "when are you going to use them reliable hubs that BT uses?" (more the merrier)

Untrue.

TBH I don't analyse stats but I've heard from all my family/friends and their friends who have these VM shubs all say they have the same issues plus you see the same complaints on loads of various internet forums.

Don't mean to be rude but you seem to be defending VM, do you work for them by any chance?

I'll be speaking to watchdog tomorrow and also small claims court as I want money from VM for a cable wireless router cos all they can recommend is that I should put my shub into modem mode.
    Crap or not you have freely admitted that you only joined here to moan about VM and even your username makes that clear, what makes you think we want you here?
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    reviews of dual band wireless n routers on theregister today http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/1..._wifi_routers/. Thinking about the asus myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I wouldn't. They are very well known for instability due to overheating http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=...w=1600&bih=995
    I think I'll be getting the Asus RT-N56U. Looks like an excellent bit of kit.

EDIT: Asus have released a follow up to the RT-N56U, the RT-N66U.
    Last edited by H4ss4n; 25th June 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast