Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arry Gone

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Arry Gone

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    I have also heard he is not a tactics man, more a man manager, leaves training pretty much to the 1st team coaches, which is probably why he was never in the running for the england job
    Brian Clough
    "It only takes a second to score a goal."
    "Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes."

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

3 Thanks given to GTI

Billhouse (15th June 2012),  Geko (15th June 2012),  Shotgunjim (15th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by andy_hayward View Post
    If redknapp understood tactics, or how to defend they would have easily finished in third place this year. I once went out for a few drinks with some of the saints acedamy players and they couldnt believe his management style. Apparently they never practiced set play's or worked on any tactics. He just let the players get on and do their own thing, which is obviously why they all like playing for him.

Just like they did under Juande Ramos or Martin Jol.... No... Wait.... They didn't even finish in the top 4, and when Ramos left were in the relegation zone. Apparently they were the most succesful in their recent history under Harry Redknapp. And I want for a drink with Tim Berners-Lee and he couldn't believe the amount of bullshit written on the internet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    Was breaking on Sky Sports News just half hour ago, apparently moyes evens betting to get job
    Moyes wont play the type of football Spurs fan expect.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what im trying to say is that what harry achieved is nothing special. If the players like you they will go out and perform to the best of their ability. That is what the spurs players did under redknapp, if redknapp was a good manager then he would have been able to apply tactics to allow those same players to achieve more than they should. An example of this is chelsea's champions league triumphs over barcelona and bayern munich. On paper those players should not have stood a chance against those two teams yet due to good tactics and discipline chelsea where able to over come the odds. That is what spurs where missing this season.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what im trying to say is that what harry achieved is nothing special. If the players like you they will go out and perform to the best of their ability. That is what the spurs players did under redknapp, if redknapp was a good manager then he would have been able to apply tactics to allow those same players to achieve more than they should. An example of this is chelsea's champions league triumphs over barcelona and bayern munich. On paper those players should not have stood a chance against those two teams yet due to good tactics and discipline chelsea where able to over come the odds. That is what spurs where missing this season.
    And I completely disagree. Chelsea had a massive, massive stroke of luck. Are you therefore saying Roberto Dimatteo is a master tactician? I again, strongly disagree.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They will have to annouce the new manager next week. AVB is now the top tip. If Spurs want to make this the start of a long term plan then a young manager would be necessary and perhaps AVB would be a good choice. He had to deal with a bunch of ego centric twats at chelski... there are those at spurs also but the difference being that they dont go holidaying with the chairman on his yatch every year....

Harry took the team forward but when push come to shove and the expectation was on, he faulted. The players have some liability aswell of course but there were a number of tactical and squad descisions which showed his hand and it was a title winning hand. Harry brought us back from the brink but make no mistake, I could have done a better job than Ramos.
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Will there be a player exodus now? How close were Bale, Lennon and Modric to Harry? If they lose Bale and Modric then it will be a cold season next year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Modric would have gone last year and Lennon has had disagreements with Harry in the past so no story there, not sure about bale, depending on who comes in and the ambition shown I think he will stay another year. The one im concerned about is van der vaart as he recently stated Harry was important to him at spurs. Can see Modric going, hopefully abroad.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think Bale will go. We were lucky to keep Modric this season so I wont be suprised when he goes. As for VDV, if he wants to go fine, but if the chairman gets a big name in and there is alot money in the transfer kitty then im sure that some players will stay. Especially if the wages which are now on offer are competative (taking out Chelski and Man City)...

Thanks
    Karma Level

you could put chelsea's first leg win against barcelona down to luck, but the second leg? Same tactics, but with 1 player less for the majority of the game? More than luck required there. And they did the same thing in the final, its not lucky to play the same way three games on the trott and win them all, its called tactics.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And no, im not saying the matteo is a master tactician, just that he has the understanding of the game to realise his teams strengths weaknesses. He worked out a style of play that gave chelsea the best chance to win those matches. That is something that arry, has never been able to do.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am also not a huge Harry redknapp fan, but his achievements and the nonchalant responses to them, deserve some defending.. While I don't think he is a Ranieri type tactical tinker man, I think to say he is inept at football tactics is a media cliche. I don't know how these "facts" start, but Harry has had Spurs play differently to win matches. AC Milan in the CL for example.

It's easy to forget how far harry took spurs, and the massive success he has had there, and with very little backing from the board financially over the last 2 years. In january the board could have backed him and made a statement which would have helped get spurs 3rd place. Harry doesn't deserve the blame. He knew the squad needed improving and wanted to spend money. He knew the players who would have done it. But he wasn't given any money, so had to bring in Saha and Nelson. He couldn't / didn't rotate his squad and the players were exhausted. The England manager talk was also unsettling for the team.

They came 4th, which any other year for any other club bar Man Utd and Man City, would be enough to start the celebrations...!

I don't think Spurs will make top 6 next year. And this Christmas, I hope spurs fans remember last Christmas, when Spurs were talked about as title challengers.
    Last edited by Geko; 16th June 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you could put chelsea's first leg win against barcelona down to luck, but the second leg? Same tactics, but with 1 player less for the majority of the game? More than luck required there. And they did the same thing in the final, its not lucky to play the same way three games on the trott and win them all, its called tactics.
    I agree to a degree but employing those tactics relies on a large slice of luck...They went into both Barca games with nothing to lose and I'd have employed the same tactics if I were DM as it's not worth trying to outplay Barca with an inferior team as Man United have demonstrated a couple of times lately, the luck comes into it when you bank on the other team not finishing the chances they create but you finishing possibly the one or two chances you do which credit to them they did and fair play to them...but ultimately it is a tactic reliant on luck much like when say stoke for example park the bus against Man United and hope for a goal from a throw in, If they lose it's no shock but if they win or draw it becomes a tactical masterpiece which really it isn't it's just the basics.

As for the final I don't think the tactics employed were the greatest in the world Chelsea are far from an average side and I suspect they would have given Bayern a game but they opted to play deep fair enough they got the result in the end but it was awful to watch..If DM plays like that in the league next season he won't last long.
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 16th June 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    ... He knew the players who would have done it. But he wasn't given any money, so had to bring in Saha and Nelson. He couldn't / didn't rotate his squad and the players were exhausted. The England manager talk was also unsettling for the players fans remember last Christmas, when Spurs were talked about as title challengers.
    Let's be clear that he did have players to rotate but he chose not too. He claimed that he wanted to blood the youngsters in the UEFA cup and then CHOSE not to play them in the league. He had his favourites and played them out of position rather than a less experienced player. He did not take risks which resulted in a number of defeats. He also refused to play 442 when we needed goals. He took the club a long way but lost interes when England came sniffing. Levy has always been responsible for transfers so you can lay some blame there but you could argue that our squad was big enough to mount the challenge, he just chose not to use it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunjim View Post
    Let's be clear that he did have players to rotate but he chose not too. He claimed that he wanted to blood the youngsters in the UEFA cup and then CHOSE not to play them in the league. He had his favourites and played them out of position rather than a less experienced player. He did not take risks which resulted in a number of defeats. He also refused to play 442 when we needed goals. He took the club a long way but lost interes when England came sniffing. Levy has always been responsible for transfers so you can lay some blame there but you could argue that our squad was big enough to mount the challenge, he just chose not to use it.

There wasn't another right winger when Lennon was injured. You didn't have a striker that could lead the line when Adebayor was out of sorts. No other right back apart from Walker. Corluka isn't up to it.

I agree that he should have rotated more. But you definitely needed to sign another striker, as well as Adabayor, and a winger as well. If they had backed him for Rossi / Jovetic and Krasic (if they would have signed) you would have finished above Arsenal.

I don't think he was without fault. But neither is Fergie for Man Utd dropping out of the CL this year, or finishing just behind Man City. But he hasn't been let go for a younger man, and quite rightly.

Spurs obviously have someone lined up, I wait until I see who it is before I pass judgement. AVB would probably do well for you. But 4th is still a big ask.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ill take bale and Modric at Utd thanks if they wanna leave. Not my personal choices but Ill take anything we can get nowadays with the chavs and the massives buying anything with a pulse for stupid money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12