Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bull can anyone explain this? (facebook related)

I know facebook aint the safest of places but this has me puzzled.

I have had my main account on there for about 5 years now and not really used it heavily, I have 140 friends and probably post once a week.

A couple of years ago I made a fake account in the name of a woman, cant even remember the name but it was as generic as you could imagine. I was spying on my current GF at the time, although I cant remember what I was actually doing. I never did anything with it, just searched profiles I think.
    I registered that second account to my hotmail email, my main one being registered with my gmail.

The other day I looked in my hotmail and the female account had a mail from facebook, the mail says the usual "do you know these people" but my real account is listed in there as someone I could potentially know, and the rest of the recommendations are people off my real account, ones that I added a year or so after making hte fake account.

Does this point to any security holes in my PC anywhere?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: can anyone explain this? (facebook related)

All I can think of is that cookies got crossed, and a FB cookie showing your PC had logged in under "her" account got tracked and uploaded to FB while you were logged in to your real account. The other thing, unlikely seeing as you seem to know what you are up to (;-)), are these newer apps and sites that use FB/Twitter/LinkedIn logins to aggregate data. Klout, Empire Avenue, that sort of thing. I suspect they leak account and contact info like a sieve, though how that got back to Facebook (assuming the email from Facebook is legit and not a phish) I have no idea!
    When I breifly had two FB and MSN/Hotmail accounts, I kept one matched pair in IE and the other two in Chrome, to help prevent cookie or history leakage.
    Bob.