Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

microsoft Microsoft reveals its own Windows 8 tablet called the new Surface

Here at its mysterious, last-minute press event in Los Angeles, Microsoft just confirmed it will sell its own Microsoft-branded Windows 8 tablet under the Surface badge. Measuring just 9.3mm thick, it's built around an angled, all-magnesium VaporMag case that weighs just under 1.5 pounds. Microsoft's hardware partners have also gone all-out on extra touches, such as a built-in stand, twin 2x2 MIMO antennas for WiFi, and an optically-bonded, Gorilla Glass 2-covered display. Not unlike Apple's last two generations, there's a magnetically attached covered, but it's more than just a protector: here, it includes a full multi-touch keyboard and trackpad. As for expansion, you'll get one each of HDMI and USB 2.0 (sorry folks, no 3.0), while software includes the usual Windows 8 accoutrements as well as a newly Metrofied version of Netflix.

Works with a digital ink pen, the difference between where the stylus touches and the ink shows up is .7 millimeters, thinnest and closest distance of any inking tablet ever, there is a display port with a full porfessional workstation with the power of a desktop PC. The pen sticks to the body of the tablet, takes 5 seconds to copy a whole gigabyte of pictures, he's showing off. because there is support for USB 3.0. New, flatter Windows 8 desktop. Improvement over the WinXP style. A "type cover" adds physical keys. Surace for windows rt, for windows 8 pro, and different colors of touchpads. that is the full surface family.

Surface for windows RT will be available in both a 32 and 64 gb model, for windows 8 pr will be in 64 and 120 gb model, they'll be priced "competitively" and price will come out when they get closer to availability. Windows RT availability will be when windows 8 is available,a dn pro will be available 3 months later.

Source

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

CzarJunkie (19th June 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (13th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft reveals its own Windows 8 tablet called the new Surface

It looks very pretty. It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You've got to think that MS are too late to the market again. It may look nice, but unless it does something remarkably different to iPad / Android tab then its going to go the same way as WP7 IMO, and thats "very nice, but no market". And tbh, I cant see that it does anything particularly different.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I actually like that. Might even make me get on with Win8 better.

Wonder how much competitively priced is... Competitive against what? If its a car, they can fuck off.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

{{909}} (19th June 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks nice but they have already lost the market share, will be a struggle to take it from android and apple unless it is cheap. The iPad is surprisingly cheap when compared to the flagship android models. Windows 8 looks like a tablet UI, I haven't tried it because of this but will see if I can add it to VMWare to test.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    You've got to think that MS are too late to the market again. It may look nice, but unless it does something remarkably different to iPad / Android tab then its going to go the same way as WP7 IMO, and thats "very nice, but no market". And tbh, I cant see that it does anything particularly different.
    I disagree, if MS get it right this could be a very good alternative to a laptop. At the moment I use both a laptop and tablet but with this I could combine the two. The pro version comes with a full version of Windows 8.

Although it's a big 'if' and the price has to be right too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think that the main benefit of a tablet is the library of Apps.. this takes time to build which will be an initial issue. I would argue though that there are only a very small percentage of usefull apps that are core to most peoples outcome needs. If MS can get some of the most used apps developed for their windows 8 environment then it will thrive. If it does it is likely to be the business tablet of choice for compatibilitys sake but I doubt they will hit the Apple fanboy market too hard...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny but true
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BBK (19th June 2012),  CzarJunkie (19th June 2012),  Fear345 (19th June 2012),  funkyg (19th June 2012),  Ginnerfreak (19th June 2012),  {{909}} (19th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Having read some more about them...

I think the RT one is actually pointless... And I reckon the Windows 8 ones will be expensive.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

With an i5 inside the pro version wont be cheap..wonder how long the battery will last? They killed it alone with the promo.

I hope they pull it off, its about there there was a proper functioning tablet. However why would they annouce the product with no price or release date? They did the same bullshit with the HP Slate and yeah that ended up well didnt it lol.