Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone been to see Santa in Lapland?

Thinking of taking the little un to see Santa in Lapland this year as it'll probably be the last year he believes in him, looking around it's not going to be cheap so if anyones been or knows someone who's been any tips or experiences would be appreciated.
    Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat, sooner or later you get pissed off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone been to see Santa in Lapland?

Couple of tips -

1. Go at Christmas
    2. Don't see Santa between 12 and 3pm as the guy on that shift is a gooser

2 Thanks given to BertRoot

DJ OD (22nd June 2012),  tombott (22nd June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is it cheaper at christmas then?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I took my eldest daughter few years ago - it was pretty good tbh. Saw santa, got to ride skidoo and huskies etc.
    The only problem was she ended up believing in father Christmas til she was about 11 as she had "met him" ! She apparently got into an argument at school about it :-)
    It cost an arm and a feckin leg that much I remember

Thanks
    Karma Level

We went and took our 3 kids 2 years ago for a week over Christmas. It was firkin freezing, -30 each day and only about 3 hours of daylight a day, it's far from a magical place But the kids loved it, we went to santa's house in the woods and the kids lapped it all up. We went dog sledging, reindeer sleigh rides, skiing, there's plenty to do. There was also some santa theme park we went to underground which the kids loved.

I didn't think I was too expensive tbh, we went with inghams and I'm sure we got flights and a 4 bed cabin with sauna inc. Christmas dinner with Santa for about £4k for five of us. Activities weren't that expensive either, i went on a night adventure on snowmobiles through the woods which was amazing.

I'd definitely recommend it, just be prepared (very prepared) for it being very cold and very dark

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to add to Belial...

Yeah its dark but thats what makes it so christmassy! To explain, the Lapland area that is most popular is just south of the Arctic circle. Those who are not up on their geography, any land inside the Arctic circle has at least one day per year that never gets light! When you are so close to the Arctic circle near Xmas, it is going to be dark most of the day... with perhaps 2-3 hours of very, very dull daylight.

It is also going to be very full of snow... I mean DEEP snow. As soon as you land its like landing in a Chrismas Card! To be honest, to point out that it is "firkin freezin" is a bit like pointing out that its firkin hot when going to Africa! Must go geared up with decent snow gear. However, TK Maxx always have dirt cheap snow gear during the autumn months to get geared up before you go.

It really is the ultimate xmas experience, full snow, xmas card postcard scenery, husky rides, snowmobiles.... very realistic santa's (none of your cheap shopping centre bollocks)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Det's been before. Santa liked him so much he emptied his entire sack on to his lap!

Thanks to ZX7R

4me2 (25th June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

knew it would be cold, never thought about daylight hours though, I'll just keep trawling the holiday sites and see what comes up for a reasonable price.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
    Thinking of taking the little un to see Santa in Lapland this year as it'll probably be the last year he believes in him
    What are you saying!?
    Santa's real. I've seen him on Google Maps!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    What are you saying!?
    Santa's real. I've seen him on Google Maps!
    Of course he's real !! We track him on Norad Santa every year, He always eats the mince pie and drinks the Brandy (he doesn't like whisky in our house) and if more proof were needed, the half eaten carrot and reindeer poo in the garden (footprints too if there's snow) is as good as it gets

Thanks
    Karma Level

we went Christmas just gone and thought it was pretty crap.

Big dissapointment for us. We went on the same one as Peter Andrés programme around Christmas. There are a few you can choose from but we went with Thomas Cook/Thompson which was shit.

It's like being at a school fete, where there are a couple of activities going on within a couple of hundred meters of ecach other and you just go from one to the other. The magic just wasn't there.

Father Chirstmas himself was younger than me (31) and had no perrsonality what so ever. He didn't even ask the kids what they wanted for Christmas.
    On the flight back i sat next to a woman who works for Thompson and her job was to go and review the experience and even she saiid that she wouldn't recomend it.

On saying that though, we have friends who went with another company and said it was great. (although I'm not sure who they went with)

Thanks to Tommy J

legolamb (5th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

My missus has been twice. Once with her mum and once with our nephew. He really enjoyed it but he is young. No snow the first time and it was warmer than the UK!!!

There was a few things happening there but not worth the money she said.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

legolamb (5th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's certainly not cheap, managed to find one for just under £2k for the 3 of us so far. We've been to Santa's sleepover at Alton Towers the last few years and thats great, I'd recommend it if anyone is looking for a night away near Xmas. Hell of a lot cheaper than lapland and we've had snow there too.