Default Re: Windows 8, My thoughts.

any one who says it is good for a non touchscreen device is lying its shite

win 8 is for touchscreen only

Thanks to emu

4me2 (16th January 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Like I've said before, if you can't get your head round Windows 8 on a non-touch PC or laptop you are a fucking moron.

I'm not even a fanboy and have no loyalty or personal interest in this. I just find the fucking thing a doddle!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Windows 8, My thoughts.

My install seems to have gone extremely flaky. Everything is running far slower. It is a big steaming pile of turd as an OS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine is running as solid as the day I installed it SiE.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I chose not to run a mobile phone OS on my PC's, the ones that are not win 7 are Linux mint and moron or not I wont be using win 8, through choice.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lou, of course people can use what they want. I just find it hard to fathom that people who use Windows 8 making such a huge fuss over it. I use Windows 8, I do a lot of stuff from the "Desktop" but have never had a hard time when using Apps on the Metro menu. FilmOn, Booking, Skyscanner etc are great. Live tiles with news updates, sports updates, weather and exchange rates all live on one screen.

Seriously, I don't understand. It takes time to get used to but ultimately isn't that bad. It has everything Windows 7 has, plus an App store plus integrated mail with live alerts. Even the ebay app pops up a message to tell you when an item is ending soon or if you've been outbid.

Windows 7 is amazing, I love it. Windows 8 ditto.

2 Thanks given to cyprus

kjun (8th March 2013),  Lou_smorals (16th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    yup and I am glad you are happy with your choice, I may be a dinosaur but "apps and touch" are for mobile phones and tablets and windows should immediatly cease trying to turn PC's into mobile phones and leave that to Android who do it much better - as a Linux user, I got to admit win 7 won me over, win 8 will drive me back.
    LS

P.S. Metro is my PC nightmare
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    Like I've said before, if you can't get your head round Windows 8 on a non-touch PC or laptop you are a fucking moron.

I'm not even a fanboy and have no loyalty or personal interest in this. I just find the fucking thing a doddle!
    Maybe it looks different on your Turkish system !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

cyprus (16th January 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive been running Win8 since early beta days. Now installed as my main OS (Enterprise edition) and never had a problem with it. Don't see what all the fuss is about WIN7 > 8. Boots direct to my desktop, but can go into Metro to see live updates, weather, news, apps et all. Rock Solid.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    it is a whole lot better with a dual monitor setup, i have adjusted well to it now after a few weeks of using it fully and i cannot wait till the apps and such come online.

i have added my pics to the photo app for an all in one place to view them and i do like the mail app as well, it will get better and you will embrace it lol.
    I have a 3 monitor setup m8 27 - 32 - 27

I've not looked at this for a few months - i may give it a go with fresh eyes now theres lots of various desktop tweaks available
    Last edited by Raptor; 21st February 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well was bought win8 upgrade for Xmas all was good till last week then yesterday decided to do a refresh on it took about an hour and wiped nearly all my program's off it despite it saying otherwise so my opinion ATM isn't very high

Thanks to baggy13

4me2 (21st February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by baggy13 View Post
    Well was bought win8 upgrade for Xmas all was good till last week then yesterday decided to do a refresh on it took about an hour and wiped nearly all my program's off it despite it saying otherwise so my opinion ATM isn't very high
    Ah, the old iTunes trick of wiping things without asking...

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i recently put 8 on my laptop (non touch screen) and im quite liking it, seems fairly stable and just takes a little getting used too
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

2 Thanks given to Mystical_2K

cloudy73 (21st February 2013),  pratman (21st February 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hello,

I am also use window 8 form last 2 month. I am just say that as my own experience this is good but their is some of the difficultly for new users. But on the other hand we see their is many other new and attractive features in window 8.

i am really enjoy this

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't worry 4me2, I have already assumed the legs akimbo position so you can kick me straight in the cunt once you have read the below...

After all I have said about W8, I must confess after using a PROPER windows 8 device (Sony Duo 11... which is touch screen tablet with proper digitizer pen) I can actually now see the appeal of Windows 8 and indeed quite like it (in the correct hardware circumstance)

So I now need to revise my opinions on the matter (slightly). Its definitely an operating system of two halves. If you have a traditional desktop or laptop with no touch screen then I stand by my original statements... its a bag of shit. It makes things more cumbersome than the W7 format and it doesn't real give anything new worthy of note. However, if you have a device with a touch screen it makes so much more sense... you can actually whiz through and around the screens with ease, and it works quite well.

Having now done spent some actual time using all the different flavors of Windows 8 it is surprising to fine that there are several scenarios which effect the perception of windows 8 to massive degrees. This may explain why people give vastly different reports for the OS that is known as "Windows 8".

The various windows 8 experiences can be summed up briefly as...

Windows RT tablets.

The point = trying to make a alternative to Android tablets.
    The reality = They run on ultra low powered ARM processors (to give the great battery life). This means they only run app store stuff and no legacy PC stuff. The app store has very little stuff at the moment... and so I can't imagine anybody recommending one of these atm, its like android with an empty store!

Atom Windows 8 Tablets

The point = Full windows 8 on a tablet but trying to retain low power usage for fairly good battery life.
    The Reality = Yeah, you get full windows 8 and yeah you can get decent battery times (and no heat... so no need for vents/fans). However, if you move away from the metro and start to load multiple windows, you quickly find out how "low power" the processors are... but its ok if you keep your desktop usage lite. They seem to come in different shapes and sizes (depending on manufacture) but they all seem to have virtually the same internals (and a 1366 x 768 screen)

I3/i5/i7 Tablets.

The point = Everything you would want to do on a desktop in the form of a tablet.
    The reality = Well yeah they do what they say. The problem is that they are usually thicker than a normal tablet and will have vent holes and fans. On the plus side they usually are thick enough to sport full usb & sd card slots etc. They also come in full HD resolutions. The downside is battery life. These are full powered laptops in tablet form, so the battery is usually the equivalent of a really good laptop battery.

Touch Screen Desktops / laptops

The point = If you want the latest Windows OS, touch is really the only way to go.
    The reality = Yeah, the OS works well and in the most part makes your mouse redundant. There is a question mark over using the traditional laptop/desktop format with that added issue of screen finger prints and whole arm RSI issues but that will vary greatly depending on your personal work/play circumstance.

Normal (none touch) Desktop / laptops

The point = To be honest, I am not really sure other than you think you need the latest OS.
    The reality = It doesn't really work without a touch screen and can be simply summed up with the two finger gestures you must learn to use it!

The bottom line.

Its clear to me that if you are considering buying, borrowing, stealing a copy of Windows 8 then you MUST have a touch device. Without one, it makes as much sense as an Android system without touch screen. Yes, you can get by without a touch screen and yes you get various idiots saying how they love windows 8 and they haven't got a touch screen. However, its clear to me that the whole W8 experience is quite restricted without the one. If you haven't tried Windows 8 with a touch screen, just hit PCworld and give it a go on a none touch and then a touch device... hopefully you will also see a night and day difference.

OK 4me2, I'm ready and braced!

4 Thanks given to MsDG

4me2 (1st April 2013),  Ashley (1st April 2013),  macmilm (1st April 2013),  Zoots (1st April 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Always said from day 1 I thought Win8 from the very inception was created with touchscreens in mind but what screwed M$ is that the uptake of touchscreen devices in particular with desktop PC's has been very slow otherwise more people would be loving it I'm sure !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Win8 works on my laptop very well and it ain't got a touch screen. The synaptics touchpad drivers contain Win8 gestures you can switch on so it makes using it a lot like having a touch screen.

Eg. Swipe in from the right to activate the charms menu on the right. Swipe down from the top brings up the short cuts menu. Swipe from the left cycles through apps.

If there is an equivalent using a mouse (I've not looked into it) I'd seriously consider upgrading my work pc too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    Win8 works on my laptop very well and it ain't got a touch screen. The synaptics touchpad drivers contain Win8 gestures you can switch on so it makes using it a lot like having a touch screen.

Eg. Swipe in from the right to activate the charms menu on the right. Swipe down from the top brings up the short cuts menu. Swipe from the left cycles through apps.

If there is an equivalent using a mouse (I've not looked into it) I'd seriously consider upgrading my work pc too.

Swiping what ? with your mouse ???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast