Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help ClickandBuy Email Scam?

Just recieved this email from "ClickandBuy" - having never had anything to do with them I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

Hovered my mouse over the links in the email and the links look legit, visited the website and seems like a professional site....

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for using the safe and secure payment system of ClickandBuy.

We would like to remind you that the credit card that you have registered with us will soon expire. Please update the card data you submitted by logging in to your Service area at
    www.clickandbuy.com.

Once you have logged into your account you should find the necessary profile page under the "Settings" tab, sub heading "Payment methods".

In order to answer this email and/or contact the ClickandBuy Service Team, please click
    here. You will be redirected automatically to our contact form.

Please ensure that you include your ClickandBuy account number in any correspondence with the ClickandBuy Service Team.
    Your ClickandBuy account number is: ************.

Tip: Under "
    Help" you will also be able to find answers to many of the frequently asked questions that are presented to ClickandBuy.

With best regards,

Your
    ClickandBuy Service Team

www.clickandbuy.com

ClickandBuy International Limited · Lincoln House · 137-143 Hammersmith Road · London W14 0QL
    Registered in England and Wales No: 5661160

ClickandBuy International Limited is authorised by the Financial Services Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (Register Reference: 900024) for the issuing of electronic money.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ClickandBuy Email Scam?

I get loads of similar every day the latest being a Wonga.com scam mail, I suggest you view emails in plain text makes them easier to see and if they have addressed you by name it means your details have been passed on/compromised depending on if it's a scam or marketing.

Edit: I have also replaced the hyper links in the post

Additional tip: As I own domains when I use a company I will use their name in the email address so I know who has passed my details on for example digitalforums@myemailaddress.com

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

beerman (28th June 2012),  CallmeGoose (28th June 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post

Additional tip: As I own domains when I use a company I will use their name in the email address so I know who has passed my details on for example digitalforums@myemailaddress.com
    Good tip BB. Something I will do in future.

Click and buy are part of BT epayments I think.

I had a BT alarm that connected to the phone line and phoned me on alerts. The service was £5 for the first few months and then £40 for the year paid for through click and buy

Thanks to beerman

CallmeGoose (28th June 2012)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers guys. i cant think of anything i use/pay for which would go through these guys so the email is getting sent straight to the trash and ignored. i get loads of this type of crap, but this one seemed a tad more legit than the rest which is why I raised an eyebrow at it....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post

Same here. I own a number of domains. A few are used for actual websites but most are simply parked with UKreg (fasthosts) and include free email forwarding. I usually use the free email for one of the parked domains when I register with various forums, etc.

On my advice a few m8's have also registered a domain with fasthosts just for this purpose, usually using their postcode. For example: sa146lf.co.uk. Using the catch-all option to forward 'anything@sa146lf.co.uk' to their main email address. So you could have 'amazon@sa146lf.co.uk' or 'digitalforums@sa186lf.co.uk' or 'myfacebook@sa146lf.co.uk'.

Not only is it a good way to track who is selling or passing on your email address but its also an email address for life as long as you pay the seven quid every two years. Just forward 'joebloggs@sa146lf.co.uk' to whichever email provider you are using at the time. Not so important these days with many people using gmail, etc but if you still use your web providers email as your main account it means you won't have to inform everyone of your new email address every time you change providers.

'joebloggs@sa146lf.co.uk' is also a lot easier than typing in 'joebloggs.orangehome.co.uk@fs.net' every time. (">

Thanks to BigBird

Bald Bouncer (28th June 2012)