Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Strange weather wrecked my car!

Had these fall out of the sky today.

Dented the hell out of my car and even had some windows smashed. Well annoyed

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No pictures of the car ?
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well get some up tomorrow. Does anyone know if this is covered by insurance? I'm guessing I'll have to pay excess and it'll go down as claim

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strange weather wrecked my car!

Looks like you're not the only person affected: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...?newsfeed=true

Freak hail storm drives insurance claims

Hailstones the size of golf balls damage car windscreens and bodies as storms hit Leicestershire

Massive hail stones damaged many cars in Leicestershire today. Photograph: Stephen Frost

Motorists who cars have been damaged by hailstones the size of golf balls face having their cars written off, insurers have warned.
    The AA said it had already received 29 claims for damage to cars within half an hour of a freak hailstorm lasting just five to 10 minutes in Leicestershire at lunchtime today.
    One car owner told the AA his car was "covered in dimples", while another reported that his car had been wrecked by "giant lumps of ice falling from the sky": all said their cars were extensively damaged.
    Esure has received "a large number" of claims on both home and motor policies from people living in the Leicestershire and Melton areas. The insurer said it had a large spike in claims over lunchtime, but they were still coming in and it was expecting more as people returned home to find damage to homes or cars left outside their properties.
    Cars have been dented and windows smashed. "We've not seen anything quite like this before – none of the underwriters or claims handlers have dealt with giant hailstones before," said Adrian Webb, a spokesman for esure. "We have had people calling saying 'my car bonnet looks like a golf ball – it is covered in dents'."
    He said policyholders would receive payouts for damage resulting from the storm.
    Admiral had 50 claims in a hour, with many policyholders saying their windscreens had been broken.
    Stephen Frost, who lives in Hinckley, was just about to leave home for work as a driver for Eddie Stobart when his home was bombarded with hailstones. "There was lots of lightning and massive chunks of ice falling. The ground in my road is covered in branches and leaves, my car is covered in small dimples, the wing mirror is broken and the windscreen cracked in two places. I rang my insurer but the windscreen can't be replaced for two weeks because they have had so many calls," he said.
    The severe weather also produced a tornado and torrential rain, causing damage and flooding to homes after drains and waterways were blocked by massive hailstones.
    People trapped in their homes and cars took to Twitter to discuss what was happening. One called LL Cool A said: "1pm – its dark, there's thunder, there's lightning, there's rain, there's wind and there's hailstones the size of golf balls!

After the storm, he tweeted: "Was that just my area or did anyone in any other town or city think the world was about to end!?"
    The AA said if all the panels of a car had been peppered by hail, it would be cheaper to replace the entire car than try to smooth out the dents – a process that could distort the roof.

Simon Douglas, director of AA Insurance, said: "If your car is comprehensively insured, damage of this sort is covered by your policy, while damage to property should also be covered by buildings insurance."

"We are seeing some freak weather conditions this year with floods, tornadoes and now hail.
    "Hail can be particularly damaging and we are expecting dozens more claims today as customers return to their parked cars and find them ruined. Other insurers will be seeing a similar spike in claims."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sahara storm my arse!.. Supposed to be bringing just sand not ice!? Although car is covered in sand as well. Going to have to give it a clean over weekend to see full extent of damage. At least my windows wee intact I saw some cars practically fall to bits

Thanks
    Karma Level

Motorcycles at work had mudguards and other parts crack from the impacts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Strange weather wrecked my car!

repent,

the end of time is near

Thanks to Undertaker

Northernbloke (29th June 2012)