Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info $99 Android Game Console Named Ouya On The Way [IMAGES]

Although plenty of successful inroads and developments have been made over the years in the modding and jailbreaking of the popular games consoles (most notably Geohot and his famous PS3 jailbreak), they can often take a while to arise due to the tight-belted nature of the console vendors, most of whom tend not to be accommodating.

A reprieve for the open source enthusiasts might well be on the way, and although a $99 Android-based games console may sound as though it’ll simply be a passing fad, the talented folk involved in the development of the device, known as "Ouya," is more than enough to force us to take notice.

As per an AngelList posting via The Verge, Ouya has quite a few big names overseeing the development of the console, namely Yves Behar, the guy behind the One Laptop Per Child push as well as products like Jawbone Jambox. The super-cheap console connects to a TV, and is billed as being "built to be hacked", and every retail box features a dev-kit for those wishing to create games, which will be as free as oxygen.

The idea, it would seem, is to create something of a free market, allowing designers and developers to spread their wings and build creative apps. Any dev will be able to publish games in the nonrestrictive environment, and although Ouya won’t be like an open-source PlayStation, by any stretch of the imagination, it’s certainly an exciting, minimal risk potential purchase for those with an incessant need to tinker.

As well as Behar, the project is also taking advice from Ed Fries, a former Xbox executive who certainly knows what it takes to sell a console. Add to that Amol Sarva of Peek, Peter Pham from Color, all led by Julie Uhrman of IGN, and you have yourself a promising array of talent which could certainly help this start-up really take off.

At $99, it will entice even those on modest budgets, and let’s face it, the amount of fun one could have with a dirt-cheap hacking machine makes the price seem more than worth it. The full details have yet to emerge

Source
    Last edited by evilsatan; 5th July 2012 at 06:35 PM.

3 Thanks given to evilsatan

ant3b (9th August 2012),  DJ OD (8th August 2012),  mc.dodd (9th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: $99 Android Game Console Named Ouya On The Way [IMAGES]

2 Thanks given to AspectUK

DJ OD (8th August 2012),  mc.dodd (9th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Missed this thread last month.

Gotta say this looks quite interesting and in theory could revolutionise home gaming. So long as it just doesn't end up with a load of shite like Angry Birds. I'm not a gamer as such but even using one of these as a media centre could be good.

It strikes me as a similar concept to the Rasberry PI but already to go out the box and built on Android. It might even start a new trend in Media Centre PC's to rival the Acer Revos and the like.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I pledged $140 on kickstarter for the limited edition of this. I must say, I'm quite excited about it tbh, as a media player and an emu station it should be pretty kickass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I pledged $140 for the media players plex and XBMC.. also emu's

It seems streamlined and very viable for cheap games etc. Pretty excited