Close

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Breaking Bad - series 5

WWow, that was some cliffhanger.....stupid year wait.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How Apple's story is like 'Breaking Bad'

How Apple's story is like 'Breaking Bad'

By Omar L. Gallaga, Special to CNN
    August 31, 2012 -- Updated 1516 GMT (2316 HKT) | Filed under: Innovations

"Breaking Bad's" Walter White innovates to survive and leave a legacy but then goes on to create an empire.

Editor's note:
    Editor's note: Omar L. Gallaga is a tech-culture reporter for the Austin American-Statesman and a technology contributor to CNN.com, NPR and Kirkus Reviews.

(CNN) -- There's a reason why we tech writers are so endlessly fascinated by the story of Apple. The rise, fall and stunning rise again of the tech company has, over several decades, been like watching a really good, long-running cable TV drama -- in particular, a relentlessly tense and engrossing one called "Breaking Bad."

In fact, Apple's relationship with its rivals, the creation and adoption of its popular products, and the company's own attitudes and actions closely parallel television's best current show.

If you want to know how Apple's epic run turns out or how its ongoing battle with longtime rival Microsoft is resolved, you can watch the series, which ends its current half-season of eight episodes with a finale Sunday night.

Most obviously, Apple's story mirrors that of "Breaking Bad" in the way the TV show began: Walter White, a chemistry teacher, is diagnosed with terminal cancer and decides to use his science skills to cook methamphetamine. He takes shocking, out-of-character risks but reinvents himself as a brilliant, feared meth chemist who grows more ambitious, ruthless and cocky with each victory.

It's hard not to think of Apple co-founder and longtime CEO Steve Jobs , who fought pancreatic cancer from 2003 until his death last year. It was during this period that Jobs rebuilt Apple from a struggling also-ran into the most influential and profitable tech company in history, releasing a string of industry-changing products from the iPhone to the MacBook Air to the iPad.

Like Steve Jobs, Walter White's cancer awakens a panic in him to hurry up and leave a legacy through his work. In Walter's case, it's a nest egg for his wife, teenage son and unborn daughter. But let's leave aside the cancer theme, which has in more recent seasons of the show been on the back burner as Walt has been in remission.

What makes Apple so successful? Like Walter White, it has mixed the proper elements at just the right amounts to create highly pure, addictive products. The products have been made within secretive working conditions. The skill employed to design and manufacture them tends to make what competitors put out seem like cheaper, cloudier, less effective imitations.

Walt has Heisenberg Blue as his signature product color. Apple favors brilliant white, black or aluminum in its palette for major products.

Both Jobs and Walt believed they were the best at what they do and infused that belief into perfecting the exacting, precise formulas for what they make. But like Jobs, and Apple as a company, Walt's ego sometimes prompts him to make damaging mistakes.

When Apple's iPhone 4 was found to have an external antenna problem, the company pretended there was no issue and then claimed that other cell phones had the same problem. It was finally forced to admit that the metal in its design might have something to do with it. It launched an ambitious music social network called Ping that nobody used. And for years, Apple allowed poor labor conditions to continue in China in the manufacture of its products before bad publicity finally forced the company to begin taking steps to address the crisis.

While it was easy to feel sympathy for a dying teacher trying to provide for his family, Walt's nature on "Breaking Bad" has changed over five seasons. These days, he's clearly the villain of the story, and it's no longer fun or tasteful to root for his increasingly selfish actions.

In the case of Apple, the company's underdog status in its PC-era war against Microsoft created a cult of users who continue to evangelize Apple products. But now that it's on top, the company is more likely to be harshly criticized.

When a recent lawsuit battle with Samsung over patents ended in Apple's favor last week, the reaction online was largely negative toward Apple. Android developers and casual observers alike claim that Apple may be stifling competition and fighting its battles in court instead of in the marketplace.

Apple also recently earned more criticism over mistakes it's made running retail stores. Its TV ads this year, including a campaign for Siri and one that aired during the Olympics featuring an Apple Genius Bar character, have been more mocked than admired.

This season, Walt's cohort Jesse Pinkman asked whether he's in the meth or the money business. "Neither. I'm in the empire business," Walt replied. Apple, with its huge cash reserves and continued plans for expansion, certainly feels like an empire.

But nobody thinks any empire lasts forever. When companies end up on top, their eventual complacency and slowing innovation make them vulnerable. Any single poor decision or missed opportunity can snowball.

It was not so long ago that Microsoft was considered the all-consuming, all-powerful evil empire on the tech scene, having taken the crown from IBM.

In "Breaking Bad," Walt's most dangerous adversary was Gustavo Fring, a calm, cool, extremely intelligent businessman played by Giancarlo Esposito. Gus let his guard down, always underestimating Walt and declining to eliminate him when he had the chance.

There were times when Microsoft could have decimated Apple by pulling its Office software from the Mac platform or choosing not to invest $150 million in the company, as it did back in the '90s. Instead, Microsoft let Apple continue and, in refusing to see Apple as a serious threat, lost the mobile phone, portable music, online video and tablet markets to Apple. It's increasingly ceding ground in computer software as well.

Will Apple's turn as ruler of the roost last so long, or will the ultimate business comeback story turn into the tale of an empire that too quickly fell victim to its own hubris?

Next summer, we'll find out how the final eight episodes of "Breaking Bad" will play out. It's hard to tell how bad things will get, but the show's smart, dark take on human nature, hard choices and karma could be instructive for Apple watchers.

Things will probably turn out much rosier for Apple than they will for doomed, damned lost soul Walter White. But if "Breaking Bad" has taught us anything, it's that a world of hurt and unforeseen consequences is just a few bad decisions away.

Source

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

Ashley (4th September 2012),  big-paul (4th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How Apple's story is like 'Breaking Bad'

Wasn't sure where to post this but it seemed as good as place as any. my Heisenberg carving

Last edited by mr_fuse; 31st October 2012 at 01:05 PM.

3 Thanks given to mr_fuse

big-paul (31st October 2012),  lagigolo (1st July 2013),  rIKmAN (29th June 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Breaking Bad - series 5

Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks to muttleymacclad

mr_fuse (31st October 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Very good mate.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

Thanks to big-paul

mr_fuse (31st October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I was convinced by friends to watch it, so I downloaded all 4 season and watch them them in 2 weeks!!!
    I had never heard of this until about a month ago. A friend told me about it. He gave me the DVD's and I ended up watching all of them in 2 weeks and downloaded series 5 and done them in 2 days. Best programme I've watched for ages. Quite a few of my mates are into it too now. God knows how I missed it first time round, at least I didn't have to wait for the new episodes.

Roll on August 11th

Thanks to Clubber Lang

tigro (28th June 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There is one major drawback with Breaking Bad, and that is the series is coming to an end. I have never enjoyed a tv series as much as this.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think it has been shown in the uk. Shame as it is the greatest series i have ever watched. Amazing story thats as addictive as the drug it portrays.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think channel 5 shown the first season.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I'm gonna miss bb . One of the greatest tv shows ever made . It's been incredibly consistent . Like many others I hadn't seen until late , think it was already on its 3rd season .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    I dont think it has been shown in the uk. Shame as it is the greatest series i have ever watched. Amazing story thats as addictive as the drug it portrays.
    It's been on. Just on stupid channels and at stupid times. Didn't receive the promotion that Sopranos got back in 95...!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

definitely one of the best shows around, gutted its nearly over
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    It's been on. Just on stupid channels and at stupid times. Didn't receive the promotion that Sopranos got back in 95...!
    Breaking Bad has never been shown on UK television

Which is such a shame as it is probably the best TV series I have seen lately.

Edit : My bad, apparently it has been on 5USA

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How Apple's story is like 'Breaking Bad'

Quote Originally Posted by mr_fuse View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this but it seemed as good as place as any. my Heisenberg carving

No idea how I missed this, but fuck me fuse, did you really do that yourself?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haha... I did mate took me a while, Im thinking Dexter for this year.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tigro View Post

Edit : My bad, apparently it has been on 5USA
    And FX....!

Hence my post. "It was on stupid channels at stupid times."

The first season on FX achieved 120,000 viewers. A travesty.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's on Netflix

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Goosebumbs....

Thanks to BigBrand

prezzy (17th July 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

First I was like woah he looks scary then I got the fame tune in my head ffs haha.

Hmmm might have to see if I can convince the other half we need to rewatch all the seasons before this starts again .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ha ha that's some going. I've just finished the last season again. I want to wait and watch them in one go. But just don't think I can. Given social network etc

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast