Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Serious UAE opens pipeline bypassing Strait of Hormuz oil

UAE opens pipeline bypassing Strait of Hormuz oil route

The overground pipeline can handle at least 1.5 million barrels of crude a day

The United Arab Emirates has opened and begun operating a key overland pipeline which bypasses the Strait of Hormuz.
    Iran has repeatedly threatened to close the strait at the mouth of the Gulf, a vital oil-trade route.
    The new 370km (230 mile) pipeline carries oil from fields in the UAE's western desert to Fujairah - a major oil storage hub on the east coast.
    With initial handling capacity of 1.5m barrels of crude a day, it gives the UAE direct access to the Indian Ocean.
    The state-run International Petroleum Investment Company behind the project confirmed that the first export shipment was loaded onto a tanker through the pipeline on Sunday, the Associated Press reports.

'Strategic project'

UAE oil officials and executives from major oil firms including ExxonMobil, Shell and Total gathered on the country's eastern coast to open the pipeline route.

The UAE hopes to increase exports via the new facility to nearly two thirds of the daily 2.4 million barrels it exports.

"This is a very strategic project, it gives the options to our clients to transport larger quantities [of oil]," UAE's Oil Minister Mohammed bin Dhaen al-Hamli said, adding that the project provides an "alternative" trade route for oil.
    Currently, nearly one fifth of the world's traded oil travels via the Strait of Hormuz which Iran has repeatedly threatened to close in retaliation for sanctions over its controversial nuclear programme.
    Officials repeated the threat again over the weekend.
    Until now, the UAE - like Qatar and Kuwait - had been entirely dependent on Hormuz to export its crude.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18848986
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: UAE opens pipeline bypassing Strait of Hormuz oil route General view of a oil con

With more and more sanctions being put on Iran I can quite easily see things kicking off soon.

If they feel they have nothing to lose then a few carefully selected targets with their missiles could bring the worlds oil trade to it's knees.
    I honestly see this as a realistic scenario. Why target Israel when you can cripple Saudi/ UAE/ Iraq's oil production and ultimately the world economy.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: UAE opens pipeline bypassing Strait of Hormuz oil

US Navy ship 'fires on boat in Gulf'

A US ship has fired on a boat off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, US officials say.

The USNS Rappahannock fired on a vessel after it ignored warnings and rapidly approached the US ship, a US senior defence official told the BBC.
    There is no confirmation of casualties although AP news agency reported one person had been killed and three hurt.
    Tensions in the Gulf region are high after Iran recently renewed threats to close the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18862480

I don't want to say "I told you so " but fucking "I told you so "

2 Thanks given to 4me2

Bald Bouncer (16th July 2012),  Rick Sanchez (17th July 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post

I don't want to say "I told you so " but fucking "I told you so "
    Don't get too excited, pretty likely it'll be a pirate skiff or similar.
    Hope so, anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    Don't get too excited, pretty likely it'll be a pirate skiff or similar.
    Hope so, anyway.
    oh I'm pretty certain it will be.

Or that's what we'll be told in the press.
    Who knows but it's only a matter of time before Iran has enough.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Indian fishing boat!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

'One Killed' After US Navy Fires On Boat

The US Navy says a security team on one of its ships fired on a small motor boat after it disregarded warnings and raced toward the vessel near Dubai.
    Lieutenant Greg Raelson said sailors aboard the refuelling vessel USNS Rappahannock issued a series of warnings before opening fire with a machine gun close to the port of Jebel Ali.
    A US defence official said it was thought the boat sped away after being fired on.
    One person was killed and three others injured in the incident, a US consular official in Dubai said.
    It appeared the boat could have been mistaken as a threat in Gulf waters not far from Iran's maritime boundaries.
    Dozens of police officers and other Emirati officials crowded around the white-hulled boat, which sat docked after the incident in a small Dubai port used by fishermen and sailors.
    The boat appeared to be a civilian vessel about 30ft (nine metres) long and powered by three outboard motors.
    Similar boats are used for fishing in the region, though Iran's Revolutionary Guard also employs relatively small, fast-moving craft in the Gulf.
    US military vessels routinely cross paths with Iranian ships in international waters in the Gulf without incident.
    But speed boats from Iran's Revolutionary Guard have passed close to US ships in incidents that have raised alarm in Washington.
    In early 2008, the then President George W Bush accused Iran of a "provocative act" after five small Iranian craft were near the destroyer USS Hopper.

http://news.sky.com/story/960969/one...-fires-on-boat