Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Sir Alastair Burnet dies at 84

The voice of ITN's News at Ten

Veteran newsreader Sir Alastair Burnet, best known for fronting ITV's News At Ten, has died aged 84.

In a statement, his family said he died at a nursing home in London, where he was being cared for after suffering several strokes.

The broadcaster presented his last news bulletin in August 1991, after retiring at the age of 63.

Close friend Andrew Neil called him "one of the greatest journalists of his generation".

"He will also always be recalled by family, friends and colleagues for his unparalleled professionalism, humour and gentlemanly kindness, especially to journalists starting out on their careers," fellow jourrnalist Neil said in tribute.

"Joy it was to be in his company and he was an inspiration to many who followed in his footsteps - the broadcasters' broadcaster."

Sir Alastair also had a distinguished career as a print journalist, editing publications such as The Economist and The Daily Express.

He joined ITN in 1963 as its political editor, before switching to newsreading four years later.

Although remembered for his ITV work during the early and later stages of his career, he spent a short period at the BBC working on Panorama and fronted two general election programmes in 1974.

BBC News

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sir Alastair Burnet dies at 84

"Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington