Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News London riots: Mark Duggan's mother seeks justice for son Mark Duggan Mark Duggan was

London riots: Mark Duggan's mother seeks justice for son

Mark Duggan was fatally shot when the taxi he was in was intercepted by armed police officers

The mother of a man whose fatal shooting by police sparked days of riots in England has called for justice on the first anniversary of his death.
    Pam Duggan, whose son Mark, 29, was shot in the torso by officers in north London as they intercepted a car he was travelling in, called for answers.
    Mrs Duggan said: "The past 12 months have been terrible. We still have no answers about why my son died."
    The police watchdog is compiling a report for a coroner.
    Mr Duggan was shot on 4 August 2011 when his taxi was intercepted by armed Metropolitan Police officers investigating gun crime in Tottenham.

Rioting and looting broke out in Tottenham in the days after Mr Duggan's death and spread to a number of towns and cities across England.
    Mrs Duggan said: "Thirty-one police officers surrounded Mark and he was shot twice. Why? Why have none of the police officers given statements, one year on?
    "One of the last things my partner, Mark's dad, said before he died a few weeks ago was that he wanted justice for his son. We still don't have justice. I won't give up until I get justice for Mark.
    "People need to be held to account for my son's death. There needs to be a full inquest, in front of a jury of ordinary men and women, to find out the truth."
    The Independent Police Complaints Commission is due to give its report to a coroner in the autumn.
    An inquest into the death of the father-of-four will take place in January, but there is a possibility some evidence about police operations will need to be heard in secret, which would mean that a special type of public inquiry would need to be held instead.

Pam Duggan said there needed to be a full jury inquest into her son's death

The police have said they believe Mr Duggan was involved in drug dealing and that he was armed at the time of the shooting.
    An internal police investigation has shown that a bullet lodged in a policeman's radio was not fired by Mr Duggan.
    The firearms officers involved have so far refused to be interviewed by investigators.
    London Mayor Boris Johnson said of the anniversary: "It's an important time to remember what happened.
    "There is a commemoration taking place and I think it will be observed as it should be in a proper and dignified way."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19123752

I'm pretty sure that if the Olympics hadn't been on that this would have kicked off again.
    Especially when we saw that cunt Harwood acquitted of killing Ian Tomlinson two weeks ago.
    Because of the concerted media campaign to focus on the rioters and not the the police they escaped all blame.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: London riots: Mark Duggan's mother seeks justice for son Mark Duggan Mark Duggan

Putting my opinion of the Police Force aside. If he was armed, and a drug dealer, I have no sympathies.

2 Thanks given to Geko

littlebilly1 (4th August 2012),  tiggerbiker (4th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: London riots: Mark Duggan's mother seeks justice for son Mark Duggan Mark Duggan

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Putting my opinion of the Police Force aside. If he was armed, and a drug dealer, I have no sympathies.
    gotta agree,
    he was acting the big, bad, gun toting, drug dealing gansta and he got shot - GOOD, we are all better off without wankers like him

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think we can liken this to the Ian Tomlinson killing where the scumbag "Officer"was happy to be a bully and MURDERER on camera. This is surely a much more difficult situation on which to make judgement, that said, a proper enquiry NOT self regulation is undoubtedly needed. MY feeling is that he probably brought it upon himself.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mark Duggan: the lessons the police haven't learned

A year after the killing of Mark Duggan, his family and community still feel ignored and marginalised

The riots that took place in Tottenham did not happen because of the shooting of Mark Duggan: if this was the case the rioting would have started on 4 August, the day he was slain. The rioting was sparked by the inadequate response to demonstrators who had gathered outside Tottenham police station two days later to voice their unhappiness over the treatment of Mark's parents. This is important and must be acknowledged if we are to avoid future outbreaks of social unrest.

The Metropolitan Police Service has clearly not learned this. It was forced to apologise publicly to Mark's parents, after failing in its legal requirement to inform them of their son's death. But it still doesn't understand that had it performed its basic duties, demonstrators need never have gone to the police station. And if we hadn't attended there would have been no rioting that evening. It is that simple. Yet, even after having apologised, the Met still compiled a report, Four Days in August, that sought to lay the blame for the riots on those who led the peaceful protest. Clearly they should be focusing on improving the way they respond to such incidents – or, better still, trying to ensure such incidents do not arise in the first place.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...?newsfeed=true
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

to be honest he does sound like a bit of a cunt, but thats from only what i heard from the media, somthing aint right about this story though, i was reading a website the other day about thos story i wilm try and find it, i think the police arnt telling us the full story about this one

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    to be honest he does sound like a bit of a cunt, but thats from only what i heard from the media, somthing aint right about this story though, i was reading a website the other day about thos story i wilm try and find it, i think the police arnt telling us the full story about this one
    the police never release the full information for one reason or another - i have a few friends that serve in various forces and in a couple of high profile cases in the past they have told me that there was always a lot more info on the case that the public just dont need to know.
    so, yes, there is a lot more to this story and i doubt that all the facts will ever be released - not even to the family.
    what we do know was that he was dealing in controlled substances and had a record relating to certain firearm offences - hence the police having to go in so strong

Thanks
    Karma Level

From what I remember at the time, the gun that he was apparantly in posession of, turned out to be of police issue. and the stories of him being shot due to an officer being shot at first failed to show fact as the bullets found on the scene were all fired from the armed unit.
    I never believe whats in any newspaper or on TV. best off with the likes of RT, Blottr and open news sites.

Being from the area. I have never known anyone that either runs guns or drugs to do it in a taxi! wheres the control in a situation like that. if you thought you was being tracked by the MET you'd rather be in your own vehicle or preferably a motorbike to be able to out manouver the police...
    just my thoughts but still if he WAS a drug dealer or he WAS a gun trafficker, then he deserves a punishment. 30 police officers surrounding him, pinning him down and then he was shot in the leg just doesnt sound right.
    Meh....

Thanks
    Karma Level

There were quite a few rumours that the gun found at the scene was actually over a garden fence and there were also rumours of a copper having chucked an item over said fence. Also I believe even the coppers said there were no prints of Duggan's or blood but they found blood belonging to two others on the gun.

The gun wasn't a police issue - iirc it was one of those olympic blank firers that had been modified for live ammo.

Funny how after the Tomlinson case, the family were told to keep their mouths shut as saying anything could be considered to be influencing any potential jury which would make a fair trial impossible, yet on occasions like this, the police are allowed to lie on public tv saying Duggan actually fired at them.

And lets not forget what sparked off the riots. No one thought the family and crowd deserved any form of explaination for the death of a man at the hands of police officers with no trial and no credible story even being offered. Then the moment that really kicked it off - a young girl chucked a bottle and the police attempted to detain her in a very rough handed manner.

I will say though I have a feeling Duggan may not have been as squeaky clean as his relatives made out he was but that's totally irrelevant to the police failing to investigate a death caused by their officers. Think about it, if they can do this, they could shoot you dead on the street and tell the papers you are a drug and gun dealer who shot at them first and therefore there will be no investigation.

Not that I would expect much from the same legal service that let off Simon Harwood who was clearly guilty of the manslaughter of Ian Tomlinson and even promoted Cressida Dick, the woman who ordered the murder of Jean Charles de Menezes.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 4th August 2012 at 09:13 PM.

4 Thanks given to Over Carl

4me2 (4th August 2012),  Bald Bouncer (5th August 2012),  GTI (4th August 2012),  rookie (4th August 2012)