Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Tory MP Mensch to quit Commons

Louise 'Bitch Face' Mensch: Had a high profile during the phone hacking hearings

Conservative politician and novelist Louise Mensch is to stand down as an MP, the party has announced.

The MP for Corby is moving to New York with her three children to be with her husband of a year, Peter Mensch, who is manager of rock band Metallica.

Her decision to quit will trigger a by-election in the Northamptonshire constituency, a marginal seat.

Before entering politics she made her name as a best-selling chick-lit author, under her maiden name Bagshawe.

The MP, who won her seat in 2010 with a 1,951 majority, said she was finding it increasingly difficult to juggle family responsibilities with her political career and her decision to quit politics was "devastating but necessary".

The by-election will be held on 15 November - the same day as elections for police and crime commissioners are held across England and Wales.

It is the first Conservative-held seat to be contested since the 2010 election and will be a major test for David Cameron and the coalition.

'Family first'Writing to the prime minister to announce her resignation, Mrs Mensch said: "As you know, I have been struggling for some time to find the best outcome for my family life, and have decided, in order to keep us together, to move to New York. With the greatest regret, I am thus resigning as a MP."

She thanked the prime minister for his support during her time in Parliament, saying it had been an "honour" to fill the role.

"It is only through your personal intervention, delivered quietly and without fanfare, that I have been able to manage my duties for this long."

But she added: "I am very sorry that despite my best efforts, I have been unable to make the balancing act work for our family."

In his response, the prime minister said it had not been an "easy decision" for the MP, who he said had been a "truly inspiring" representative.

"It is with enormous regret that I accept your resignation as the MP for Corby and East Northamptonshire, a seat that had been Labour for thirteen years before you.

"I do so only because I wish to support you in acting in the best interests of your family, which must come first."

Mrs Mensch was one of the most high-profile Conservatives to enter the Commons in 2010 and has been in the spotlight since then as a member of the Commons culture committee which has been investigating phone hacking.

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tory MP Mensch to quit Commons

Don't know a lot about her.
    Her Surname reveals she married either a German or a Jew or both.

But she told Radio 4's The World at One the MP could not carry on "representing her constituents from America" and her situation was not necessarily similar to other MPs juggling work and family.
    Tends to point to a rich American Jew to me. (Could be wrong)
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

He's the manager of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Now I have to delete my collection of RHCP songs
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...sch-resigns-mp

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Don't know a lot about her.
    Her Surname reveals she married either a German or a Jew or both.

Tends to point to a rich American Jew to me. (Could be wrong)
    Bingo!

One of the most vocal supporters of Israel in parliament has resigned to move to the United States.Louise Mensch, the Corby MP, is not Jewish but has a strong connection with the community dating back to time as a student in Oxford, when she joined Rabbi Shmuley Boteach's Chabad L'Chaim Society.
    Ms Mensch, who is married to Jewish Metallica manager Peter Mensch, said she wanted to spend more time with her husband and three children in New York.

JC
    she is to the Conservatives what little squirrel face Blears was to Labour... A deeply objectionable, smug Cunt!

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

Bald Bouncer (6th August 2012),  XBOX4LIFE (6th August 2012)