7 years listening to you cunts whining about the Olympics
    Coe my son, you did good
    You Royal Highness, we hope you were best pleased by your nation's efforts

Arise Sir Mo
    Arise Sir Bradley
    Arise Lady Jess

Rio de Janeiro good luck

good night all <hic>
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: It's finally over

Thought it was 'ok' overall except tonight's closing ceremony, what a pile of shite. Whoever thought that would be 'entertainment' for normal person was way of the mark.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

what a fantastic lineup of should have been assassinated years ago talent we had to end it all...hint hint.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

at least it makes way for the winter Olympics, thats where the excitement is imho, bring it on.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Your all a set of pi$$ed cunts

merry Xmas

Thanks to Mickey

GTI (13th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Arise Sir Mo
    Arise Sir Bradley
    Arise Lady Jess
    Aren't you missing Sir Danny Boyle?

Thanks to BertRoot

Roach-Rampino (13th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the games were great, the closing ceremony was a poor show by comparison.

coes on a gravy train all the way, 'legacy ambassador'. cameron looking after his fellow tory chum.

anyone who fucked up the tickets like that in a normal job would have been sacked.

Thanks to Zippeyrude

Roach-Rampino (13th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Olympics was fine.

People going on about how good/bad it was/is is what has pissed me off. Do the chavs just sit on the internet / facebook posting a running commentary on what they see on TV these days?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Do the chavs just sit on the internet / facebook posting a running commentary on what they see on TV these days?
    Thats the advantage of not being on Twatter/Faceshit etc.. I don't have to read other people's inane drivel.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Over Carl (13th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats the advantage of not being on Twatter/Faceshit etc.. I don't have to read other people's inane drivel.
    Just Czars and the rest of DF :-p
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Just Czars and the rest of DF :-p
    At least we have Mods here... who do a fine job I may add
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I knew Kim Gavin’s Closing Ceremony would be the antithesis of the crazy-beautiful joy that Danny Boyle and Frank Cottrell Boyce brought to the opening night: I knew it would be predictable and mainstream. But that was fine, we’d have a laugh, enjoy the music acts we like and I honestly thought it would still be funny after three hours. Witnessing the pop stars and lickspittles trying to equal Boyle’s heady brew. Art is subjective, after all.

I was mistaken: it was a numbing, disheartening disaster. The biggest floating turd we ever did whiff; reducing, demeaning and re-squishing Britain, at the very moment we’d felt shifted long-term for the better by these liberating Olympic Games. In one fattened pig of a gong-show, Gavin forced us back into clunky shackles that Boyle and Boyce briefly, tantalisingly freed us from, only a month ago. Far worse than just being bad, what unfolded was – I think – proper fucking dangerous. You know that phrase: the banality of evil. So.

There’d been rumblings that Danny Boyle didn’t put enough Churchill in. Our war leader, fast deposed in peacetime, wasn’t given enough of a strident voice for organisers’ tastes. Because obviously we need thoughts of conflict and top-down triumphalism, not co-operation and shared effort, to show us off to the world on the eve of a big sports pageant. Dur. Anyway, Kim Gavin kicked off by correcting that error, with admirable actor Tim Spall bellowing something from The Tempest, stretched over a noisy background canvas in awful parroting rasp, reprised in broader strokes from his performance in The King’s Speech. Not a fresh moment then; instead lifted from someone else’s casting and someone else’s process.

This flags up clearly what was about to happen for fucking hours: piles of stuff presented as unique, weighty or historical that was actually just re-staged ubiquitouity; hackney carriaged bits and bobs, flung up-and-out on stadium scale, nothing new added. Constantly disappointing, the show repeatedly heralded musical legends who weren’t there; Bowie, Bush, they didn’t appear, just backing tracks over a tannoy. Desperately a commentator tells us Kate Bush re-recorded her vocal part for the ceremony. Why even bother, though?

Another outing for Emile Sande. In the Opening Ceremony she performed too but it wasn’t so much about her, then, as what she was singing: The Meaning had little to do with her domestic fame or career path. This time it was the opposite: entirely about Sande as a PR machined product – and she went on for ages. I have to believe both Adele and Leona turned down Gavin, for Emile to have got this length of slot; I’ve forgotten anything about the song except the totally Adele-ish solo piano accompaniment. Foghorn Florence was too edgy to appear, or too smart.

Gavin couldn’t get Oasis to reform; instead relying on Liam’s Beady Eye to karaoke ancient song Wonderwall. And what the fuck has happened to Liam’s voice? Once perhaps the greatest sneering, louche roar this country has produced – a rich, northern counterpoint to Johnny Rotten – yet now I guess ravaged by coca1ne, inactivity, far too much soft cheese, it’s a horrible whining dither. Like when The Fast Show one week swapped Jazz Club for Indie Club (ha, there’s a boring, outdated 90s reference for you) it was a disinterested parody of ‘alternative’.

I reckon George Michael’s live auto-tune was still on as he spoke between his two songs, so his voice glitched out as if he’d breathed helium.

And the most audaciously lazy bit of all: the entire audio track of the opening section then replayed as backing soundtrack to the athletes arriving and partying. Gavin couldn’t even be bothered to pick some different tunes to play out over the PA. Even the shittest amateur wedding DJ wouldn’t pull that stunt. So cheapskate, one almost expected the Spotify adverts to interrupt halfway through.

Such relentless, vacuous prioritising of burger van iconography over real-life performance (or talent) is summed up by Russell Brand’s song’n’dance number. I like Brand but he is a stand-up comedian, television presenter and sometimes a useful cultural commentator. None of these are here, instead we rely on his hyperdriven celebrity itself to carry something that is patently (and self-knowingly, since he played it for laughs) drivel. Now I’m getting carried away slagging it off but there is a more important thing needs highlighting about this show, with a direct comparison:

From the Opening Ceremony, take Atkinson-as-Bean’s comic bit around Sir Simon Rattle conducting Chariots Of Fire. Whether or not you enjoy Bean, this was an undercutting and re-humanising of an epic ‘classic’ piece of music that – without fundamentally lessening its power (it was subsequently used throughout the Olympics) – took it to a previously unseen, interesting, funny place. THAT is how to treat an icon. It was Gerard Hoffnung-esque, de-mythologised the orchestra and took itself lightly without deadening itself. Meanwhile, there was Akram Khan’s powerful Indian dance in near silence, linked to Emile Sande singing Abide With Me in tribute to fallen comrades. Here, crucially, the ethnicity, or ‘exoticism’ of the dance is not the point of the dance, rather it is presented as part of a bigger ‘us’, while the emotion in the dance is its strength and focus.

Compare those two sections to their near parallel in the Closing Ceremony; where Eric Idle flounces through Python smash Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life before being interrupted by, again, some Indian dancers, who befuddle and confuse him, throw dust on him, leave him distracted. On a quality level; again nothing new or rare. Performances of this song take place every night somewhere across the UK as part of Spamalot. On a political level, it no way captured any of the subversive silliness of the original from Life Of Brian. All reference to the film’s edgy content exorcised, of course.

But far worse, this routine was entirely about the otherness and exoticism of the Indian dance juxtaposed against Idle’s familiarity; this was the dancers’ sole point; to be alien where previously there was comfort. This is deeply malignant. Idle’s uncomfortable adversity was cultural diversity, because that is how this ruinous establishment needs us to feel about multi-culturalism, even as we pay lip service to difference. We already saw clearly – for example in far-right Tory arsewipe Aiden Burley’s “multi-cultural crap” tweet and a Daily Mail piece so bursting with racism even they re-edited it – how Boyle’s opening work was drastically radical by comparison: ethnicity and background properly enmeshed and un-highlighted.

Kim gave a similar bashing to gender, sensitivity perhaps heightened by how the past three weeks has been an extraordinary Olympic Games for women; with significant, real steps taken. The ‘fashion biz’ segment in the Closing Ceremony was an unfathomably regressive bit of choreographed objectification. It felt deliberate, as if designed to rein in any aspiration or hopes that briefly glimpsed light this past month. Huge photos of girls in posh frocks. Superstar models appear, celebrified, apeing their runway work on flatbeds. It wasn’t a fashion show in itself, or a true celebration of design (which would’ve told us something about design). It was more like the revenge of the owner of the commodified clothes-horse: as if womankind needed to be ritually re-objectified, after a short respite month of being valued in a better way. Ramming back home the wider truths of rape culture and wealth-based costumery idealism.

Appalling on both fronts: politically (not party-politically but in its representation of us as a people, a nation, to the world) and culturally, through its sheer, gobsmacking lack of material. Kim Gavin’s ceremony contained not a single new or unexpected idea. Not one! Just relentless looping of overly-seen bits from other big recent shows, produced by the same hegemony. The Who perform. Tick. Brian May does a big guitar solo. Tick. Ed Sheeran. Tick. There is no content and no meaning here whatsoever.

They were perfectly within their rights to produce a poor show – or rather, a show I personally didn’t enjoy: one person’s piece of crap is another person’s fun party. But what they weren’t within their rights to do was claw back the goodness. They stole our rapture and they put John Lennon’s dead face onto commodified conventionalism. Kim Gavin is the perfect example of an endemic disease in the modern British arts industry: a hugely powerful establishment creative director who is not actually a creative person, or if he was, long ago outsourced it for status and pies. His show was not cookery but mere assemblage – a Lego house built from bricks we all saw already, outdated values and the co-opting and commodifying of grace. And not even an interestingly shaped whole.

What Boyle’s Opening Ceremony had done was open up the doors; a box of delights; the best of what we are and what we can be in Great Britain, how we built this motherfucker. Showing us our truthful crazy-beautiful spirit and heralding in two weeks of sport in such a way that we felt something could be reclaimed and changed. We repaid him by being the best athletes, volunteers and audience in history.

What Gavin’s Closing Ceremony has done is to throw Britain back in the box and slam it shut; fiercely and unquestioningly placing current hegemonies back in charge; re-infantilising and re-exoticising all that Boyle had tried to unlock for us; a revenge for the otherness and the hierachy and the celebrity-for-its-own-sake, just as these bullshit Cowellian things had seemed to be proven unneeded. It was a boot on our face. I wonder how we’ll repay him.

Source

---------------------------------------------------

Just to add I wish people would stop blaming Danny Boyle for this abortion it was Kim Gavin who screwed it.

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (13th August 2012),  BertRoot (13th August 2012),  Roach-Rampino (14th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought it was good enough, but wtf has Russell Brand done to deserve a place in the show? At least the others had at least a modicum of talent and likability.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

At least we have Mods here... who do a fine job I may add
    hahaha INDEED!
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Where was the queen? She expected the whole nation to grind to a standstill for her shitty jubilee but couldn't show her face for something of this significance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How gay did George Michael look?? He needs to be careful people don't think he's a poof, dressing like a leather-clad biker bear
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

How gay did George Michael look?? He needs to be careful people don't think he's a poof, dressing like a leather-clad biker bear
    His teeth dazzled me at the start so I missed him Grindring...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I knew Kim Gavin’s Closing Ceremony would be the antithesis of the crazy-beautiful joy that Danny Boyle and Frank Cottrell Boyce brought to the opening night: I knew it would be predictable and mainstream. But that was fine, we’d have a laugh, enjoy the music acts we like and I honestly thought it would still be funny after three hours. Witnessing the pop stars and lickspittles trying to equal Boyle’s heady brew. Art is subjective, after all.

Blah...Blah...Blah..Blah!

What Gavin’s Closing Ceremony has done is to throw Britain back in the box and slam it shut; fiercely and unquestioningly placing current hegemonies back in charge; re-infantilising and re-exoticising all that Boyle had tried to unlock for us; a revenge for the otherness and the hierachy and the celebrity-for-its-own-sake, just as these bullshit Cowellian things had seemed to be proven unneeded. It was a boot on our face. I wonder how we’ll repay him.

Source

---------------------------------------------------

Just to add I wish people would stop blaming Danny Boyle for this abortion it was Kim Gavin who screwed it.

What a miserable cunt!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

2 Thanks given to Nibb

GTI (13th August 2012),  hoponbaby (13th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am always interested in conspiracy theories, and I have heard a lot to do with the 2012 Olympics. Such as the logo, the stadiums and their design, teh opening ceremony... etc. This one is rather far out... But... Interesting none the less.

Here is some on the masonic symbolism of the opening ceremony....

Illuminati Occult Symbolism in London’s Olympic Closing Ceremony

August 12, 2012
    By The Mountain Flame
    I tuned into the closing ceremony during the performance of “What Makes You Beautiful” on a black and white patterned floor and settled into what I expected to be a super symbolic ride through loony land. Aside from the symbols, the closing ceremony was an unremarkable lip syncing celebration of pop-culture that carried over from the opening ceremony. British Celebrities popped up, dead and alive, one after the other to entertain the masses, making them feel safe and free and forget about the mega security initiative undertaken for the games and how much of that big brother equipment will remain intact once everyone packs up and goes home.
    Black and white masonic pattern.

Black and white masonic theme continued. Crown on top of an all seeing eye?

Black and white masonic theme.

After a few performances, the circus-like show continues with the athletes coming into the stadium as ONE instead of as separate countries, as they usually do. This focus on bringing the world together peacefully is a traditional Olympic theme, but it is still hard to ignore the militarized zone surrounding this peaceful gathering. The aim is to normalize a police state presence by mixing it with feel good entertainment. For example, a militarized formation carried in the larger than life billboards of the British supermodels. But is there really any room for freedom in a heavily surveillanced society?
    Notice the military-like personnel on alert.

Next a bunch of transhumanistic dancers dressed in military camouflage build a white (illuminated) pyramid. Here the masonic theme is continued. The pyramid represents the hierarchical structure of the Occult religion. The elite on the top, the masses at the bottom and the patrolling police and military in between. Participating countries’ flags are strategically placed behind the pyramid, suggesting this religion has global reach.

Occult Pyramid

Pop Culture spreading its tentacles across England.

What could be called a tribute to John Lennon was also a chance to play the New World Order’s theme song, Imagine. It seems the lyrics go against what the games celebrate – national pride and healthy competition. Instead, the late John Lennon wants us to imagine a world with no countries, where nation states lose their sovereignty and submit to a world government. A world with no possessions, no Heaven no Hell and no God. Sounds a lot like a communist, socialist, military dictatorship. Another appearance that I thought was quite fitting was by the Illuminati puppet Jessie J. She performed her hit song, Pricetag, which shot her to stardom and which appears on the surface to be about artists creating music for music’s sake and not for the money. But the real message is that it’s all about indoctrination, about shaping the youth’s attitudes and values through influential pop culture.
    Jessie J singing “Price Tag” in a Rolls Royce. The celebration of fame and fortune.

What was the most obvious and oldest occult symbol in the ceremony was the Phoenix rising from the flames.“The Phoenix … is believed to be a divine bird going back to Egypt … This Phoenix destroys itself in flames and then rises from the ashes. Most occultists believe that the Phoenix is a symbol of Lucifer who was cast down in flames and who they think will one day rise triumphant.” [Bill Schnoebelen, quoted by Dr. C. Burns, "Masonic and Occult Symbols Illustrated", p. 123]
    Lucifer Rising

In Beijing we had the fertilization of an egg, last month we took a stroll through the Garden of Eden and Babylon, and then we saw that egg turn into a giant baby head. Earlier tonight, as a giant octopus stretched its tentacles throughout the world from London, reaching a billion people, Lucifer rose from the place where you often find him hiding in plain sight – Popular Culture.
    Although the game’s celebrations may seem ominous with their sinister symbols and satanic references, we know that even if they are heralding the birth of the Antichrist, the emergence of the New World Order or the rise of Lucifer himself, God is always in control and Satan’s time is short. Their symbols have no power over us.

http://www.themountainflame.com/2012...sing-ceremony/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Or, maybe it was just the closing ceremony of the Olympics...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast