Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Messed up my dual boot Windows 7/XP

Update:
    Fixed it Turns out my Windows XP folder being called "C:\Windows2" is what prevented EasyBCD from finding Windows and adding a new listing under the new tab. Renamed the folder to "Windows", then added a Windows XP to the list under the Add tab, then renamed folder back to "Windows2", then edited the new boot.ini file to point to "windows2" rather than "windows" and it works fine now. Also did a chkdsk scan before i did all these as i was very careless in shutting down the PC during a clone attempt, not something i usually do.

I'm not sure whether the problem was caused by me cancelling a drive clone just as it started or whether it was because i ran Spotmau BootSuite (didn't need it, was curious) --- ironically now i need help to actually fix my boot

I have Windows XP and Windows 7 as dual boot, never had any problems but today i tried to clone the windows XP partition onto an SSD to see how fast it would be (again, just playing around i know Xp isn't great for SSDs), just as the clone started i tried to cancel the clone, but it wouldn't stop so i powered down the PC, in hindsight very dumb as now i messed up my dual boot.

I ran Windows 7 repair and bootrec boot/mbr/rebuild commands, but no luck. Windows 7 starts up fine, but now i can't boot into Windows XP from dual boot. I originally had it set up in a way so that first i'd get the option at boot whether i wanted to load Windows 7 or an "earlier version", default was "earlier version" which would load the second boot screen with Windows XP option there and then Windows XP would load fine. Now I keep getting errors if i try to load Windows XP, including the new listing of Windows XP which shows up as "recovered).

Any idea how i can repair it in such a way that Windows XP loads? Specifically via that "Earlier version of Windows". And still have my dual boot option so that i can load Windows 7 from the options too?

Might be worth to note that my Windows XP folder is called "Windows2", had to change it to that many years ago after some problems.

Here's what everything looks like now...i'm really regretting not keeping a backup version from EasyBCD:

This is the messy menu i have now, previously it didn't have the "recovered" options.

This is what i get if i go through "Earlier version of Windows", btw, ntldr is not really missing, it's still on the XP partition:

This is what i get if i select Windows XP (Recovered):
    Last edited by Xad; 17th August 2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Fixed

Thanks to Xad

Over Carl (16th August 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Messed up my dual boot Windows 7/XP

Why don't you just use XP mode? I suppose it depends on what you use XP for.