Close

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fat Bastards Journo

So it's about time I lost weight as I'm a fat bastard.

Started slimming world on Sunday, no meetings just diet and exercise.

My stats

Height - 6'6
    Weight - 24.4 St / 341.6 lbs
    Chest - 56"
    Waist 46"

Yeah I know. I'm not at the state of posting any pictures yet I don't think.

Been doing slimming world along with MyFitnessPal App as well.

What the aim is, is to discuss my workouts and food with you guys for tips into meals to get the most out of my diet.

I've currently aiming for 1800 calories a day.

Looking at the gym 4 times a week, Started on Sunday and been twice so far. Here is my work out

3 mile warm up on tredmil
    3 miles on random inclines and declines
    4 miles on high incline

Cool down.

20 miles on bike, above 80RPM with 2 mile bursts every 4 miles.
    Cool down

10 minutes on the rower (only done this today for the first time, as Sunday could only do 5 Minutes and was goosed)

WIll add sats week by week as I go and may even put some pictures up. We'll see.

I'm having problem at the moment in eating enough calories, as I'm burning up a lot at the gym, and I've done Davina Boxercise a couple times with the Mrs since Sunday, so scared I'm not eating enough calories and body is going into starve mode.

Currently at work been drinking around 4 pints of water over 9 hours.

Any advice, do's and donts as I've never dieted before.
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks to BigBrand

RSV (21st August 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fat Bastards Journo

Your better off to pace yourself at first.

Doing longer exercising at slower speeds will help loads and won't wear you out as much. Once you've eased into it, start raising the bar from what you know you can physically do.
    Always push yourself that little bit further each time you go and you'll feel like it's an achievement.

The further and faster you start to get, the more weight you will start to lose.

As they saying goes - "Don't run before you can walk".

Well done for doing it. Much respect.
    You SHOULD keep a picture/video diary from day one too as it will keep you motivated to succeed.

Thanks to DejaVu

BigBrand (21st August 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fat Bastards Journo

Good luck mate follows dejavu advice sounds good.

Thanks to Ashley

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

good luck mate, and that is an impressive workout, i jsut started at the gym around a month ago, adn i slacked off over the last week but been going 4 times a week. I kinda try to cover as much mileage as i can in 15 mins as a warm up, i started getting 6 miles covered and that has slowly increased now i am at about 7 and a bit miles. I then cover around 3 miles on the treadmill at various inclines and speeds just to stop getting bored, mostly at walking pace with a little bit of jogging (cant do too much running due to cruciate ligament op, but i am looking to increase the running as the knee feels comfortable) I then go on to do a load of weights doing aound 12 reps per set on around 6-7 machines working calves, hamstrings, thighs and then abs and back. usually in the gym for around 90 mins i am hoping to push a bit more of an intense workout within those 90 mins. My main thing is to lose the gut and that.

But i would like to just point one thing out, that i was advised on my induction that even though you are trying to lose weight and all the cardio you are doing is great, you should do some weight workout too because that will continue to help burn caliries after you finish exercising and will also help increase your metabolism too. I hope that info helps.

Thanks to pratman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys,

Yup I'm wanting to increase my cardio level week on week really, my aim to be able to give a good run on the cross trainer (30+ minutes). I'm kinda not pushing myself to hard, only in bursts, but wanting to maintain a decent heart rate throughout. Thanks for the advice DJV

Thanks Pratman also, Im in a similar position, I dislocated my knee cap a few years ago and still cant do any twisting movement with it really so only straight impact stuff works

Interesting on the weights side, as I wanted to stay away on the basis I thought all cardio would come from Rower, bike, tredmill and cross trainer! So might start doing that a little also

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Great start but agree sounds like you might be throwing yourself in at the deep end with the gym. You don't want to beast yourself too much in the beginning or you may injure yourself or just put yourself off. The hairy bikers have got a programme on bbc2 at the moment were they're trying to loose a couple of stone in 6weeks which is really interesting they're showing how to make nice foods with lower fat & calories & doing exercise to compliment it think the shows called something like "love food & loose weight" should be available on iplayer I think.
    Also i find group exercise is always good as others in the group spur you on a bit. I love my spin classes & currently do 3 sessions per week they seem to make the weight drop off, they are a bit extreme but the instructors will always tell beginners to go at their own pace.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you catch the horizon program about the merits of fasting? Basically the guy lost a stone in 5 weeks by reducing calorie intake to 600 cals a day for 2 days and then eating normally for 5 well worth a watch. The benefits werent just weight loss - he dropped his LDH cholesterol by half and they tried to prove that fasting slows down the rate that your cells regenerate, instead setting them not repair mode as well.

Some calculations that may help you:

1) your body will burn 12 calories per day for every pound you weigh. That's just energy required for your heart, brain functions etc. so assuming you weigh 341 pounds your body consumes 4092 cals a day. If your intake is below that you'll lose weight. Obviously this number shifts as you lose weight.

2) one pound of body fat is 3500 cals, therefore assuming you reduced your intake to say 2000 cals a day, you'd be saving 2092 cals a day, your losing 14644 calories a week, which is 4.18 pounds a week based on your starting body weight (2092 cals / 3500). Typically a kilo a week is sensible so you could up your daily cal limit. Basically the fatter you are the more your energy your body consumes.

Hope that helps you understand how to lose weight constantly, don't give up mate use what I say above, only weigh yourself every 2 weeks so as not to fret over any plateaus.

Thanks to mysterym

GTI (4th October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    Did you catch the horizon program about the merits of fasting? Basically the guy lost a stone in 5 weeks by reducing calorie intake to 600 cals a day for 2 days and then eating normally for 5 well worth a watch. The benefits werent just weight loss - he dropped his LDH cholesterol by half and they tried to prove that fasting slows down the rate that your cells regenerate, instead setting them not repair mode as well.

Some calculations that may help you:

1) your body will burn 12 calories per day for every pound you weigh. That's just energy required for your heart, brain functions etc. so assuming you weigh 341 pounds your body consumes 4092 cals a day. If your intake is below that you'll lose weight. Obviously this number shifts as you lose weight.

2) one pound of body fat is 3500 cals, therefore assuming you reduced your intake to say 2000 cals a day, you'd be saving 2092 cals a day, your losing 14644 calories a week, which is 4.18 pounds a week based on your starting body weight (2092 cals / 3500). Typically a kilo a week is sensible so you could up your daily cal limit. Basically the fatter you are the more your energy your body consumes.

Hope that helps you understand how to lose weight constantly, don't give up mate use what I say above, only weigh yourself every 2 weeks so as not to fret over any plateaus.
    Wow, that is absolutely amazing when you look at those figures like that.

Even before I was dieting, I was never really a bad eater, weekdays were always Porridge for breakfast, brown barm with various choice of meats for dinner, the odd bag of crisps and dinner was normally meat and oven chips or spuds etc It's the beer for me, always been a lager monster, can easily go to put and sink 10-12 pints without fuss. Now when I see the calories in one pint, holf shit!!!!

I appreciate you working that out mate, makes a lot of sense

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Interesting on the weights side, as I wanted to stay away on the basis I thought all cardio would come from Rower, bike, tredmill and cross trainer! So might start doing that a little also
    Have you thought about swimming it's easier on the joints and as if not better as the above CV workouts

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Men View Post
    Have you thought about swimming it's easier on the joints and as if not better as the above CV workouts
    I don't mind swimming when I'm on holiday, but I'm not very strong swimmer at all and find it difficult to do two lengths!

Thanks
    Karma Level

All I can say is good on you for getting off your arse and making an effort to trim the fat.

Good luck mate

Thanks to Clubber Lang

BigBrand (22nd August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the kind words CL.

It's about time! it's bad enough being 36" leg, but 46" waist, ffs!

Not setting any big goals, just going to keep going and increasing my CV as I go. My ultimate aim I guess is to be a 38-40 waist, so 6 inches off my current waist. I'm not fussed on how much I weigh per say, but more a case of being healthy, and of course, being able to fit into a United top

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

started doing that fasting from the horizon program last week. im down 3 pounds from the morning i started. im into my second week and my weight as stayed below 17 stone it was around 17s 4lb now its sitting at 16s 12lb

I was 19 stone 2 years ago and i decided i needed to lose weight. im only short so the weight looks bad on me. I lost nearly 1 and a half stone in the first year but ive only lost a couple of pounds since.

I tried exercise but i lost nothing in nearly 3 months so i gave that up and just changed my lifestyle. i cut out all the crap i was eating and started making meals from scratch. Cut out processed food, and more veggies. I still had the odd fatty foods though never cut them fully out. Its all about changing your eating habits. Its been said not to do it too quickly and they are right if you just do say 1 month hard weight loss from exercise and cutting out the calories, once you reach your target weight these will slowly go back to what you used to do, thats when the weight goes back on. instead do it slowly and aim for say 2lb a week, in the first few weeks of weight loss you will lose weight fast but it slows down when your body gets used to what your eating/doing thats when people usually stop and they put weight back on. instead have a target weight thats reasonable and not too easy (you can change this when you hit it) in my case i was 122kg and my aim is 100kg im now 107kg so over halfway there.

remember change your eating/life habits and you will get used to it after a few months. dont cut out everything at once. when your losing weight there will come a point where you dont lose it as fast or seem to lose it at all, and thats because your body is used to the amount of calories you are now consuming and as altered to compensate. dont get disheartened just alter your habits again.

The fasting way is intended to trick your body so in a way it stops your body from getting used to the lower amount of calories, plenty of supposed benefits too. Good luck in the weight loss just remember to take it slow.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks to bbshark

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the kind words CL.

It's about time! it's bad enough being 36" leg, but 46" waist, ffs!

Not setting any big goals, just going to keep going and increasing my CV as I go. My ultimate aim I guess is to be a 38-40 waist, so 6 inches off my current waist. I'm not fussed on how much I weigh per say, but more a case of being healthy, and of course, being able to fit into a United top
    I was a 46" waist but im now back into 42 so happy days

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done mate, as I'm 6'6 I enjoy being a big lad, so my actual weight doesn't bother me, but the ability to fit into cloths does

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

OK just my random ramblings.
    Cardio is good but you can burn more calories and for longer buy doing weights.
    Even doing squats and lunges can be better than 10 mins on a running machine, and less impact.

Try to cook foods and not eat processed so you know what is in it.

Stay on top of the water intake as that is key.

check out this dude...
    http://www.fit2fat2fit.com/

He went from ripped to a fat fuck then back again to prove a point and in 12 months. Loads of stuff on there to help out.

Crash

Thanks to crashtestmac

miffy (22nd August 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My problem with clothes is the fact I'm only 29" leg and now a 42" waist. Hard work getting that combo they seem to think big waist means big height!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh,

another thing to check out is the biggest loser show, the US and Australian ones are better but there are some decent workouts there.
    They also let it slip this year that the contestants are on 1000kcals per day.....

You have it to lose and your body will use up its reserves to make up what it needs....

Thanks to crashtestmac

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I'm one week in now, and weighed myself today.

I've lost 10 lbs this week!

I'm absolutely over the moon, I could not be happier, I can see it in my gut that's shrunk slightly, and a couple of shirts feel looser around the belly, so a real good sign.

Did the gym Monday Wed & Thursday. I'm having Friday/Sat/Sunday off, but back again on Monday. Not had a drop of alcohol, this week, and won't be this weekend.

Yesterday I was happy to beat my previous gym sessions for times on machines. And taking the advice of the members above, I also started doing a few shoulder pulls and arm curls, only on a light weight thought.

I do feel great, haven't had any bad guts or woke up feeling groggy at a all, and with the gorgeous water we have in work, I've been averaging about 9/10 cups a day.

Thanks for the words of wisdom thus far chaps, onwards to next week, hope to make it to the 1 stone mark!

2 Thanks given to BigBrand

pratman (24th August 2012),  ZX7R (12th September 2013)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I'm one week in now, and weighed myself today.

I've lost 10 lbs this week!

I'm absolutely over the moon, I could not be happier, I can see it in my gut that's shrunk slightly, and a couple of shirts feel looser around the belly, so a real good sign.

Did the gym Monday Wed & Thursday. I'm having Friday/Sat/Sunday off, but back again on Monday. Not had a drop of alcohol, this week, and won't be this weekend.

Yesterday I was happy to beat my previous gym sessions for times on machines. And taking the advice of the members above, I also started doing a few shoulder pulls and arm curls, only on a light weight thought.

I do feel great, haven't had any bad guts or woke up feeling groggy at a all, and with the gorgeous water we have in work, I've been averaging about 9/10 cups a day.

Thanks for the words of wisdom thus far chaps, onwards to next week, hope to make it to the 1 stone mark!
    Great news mate keep up the hard work!!

Thanks to pratman

BigBrand (24th August 2012)  

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast