• Windows

9 10.34%
  • Other

1 1.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Which mobile OS do you use?

I had a go on a galaxy tab that was running ice cream sandwich (as far as I know) an hour ago and I really liked it, it's much more polished than the phone version i used last time was, I love using my iPad 2 but the galaxy tab running ics is easily a match and I suspect jelly bean will draw it level maybe further at least until the new iOS is released

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use android myself, though I must say that I do like blackberry RIM.

I did try windows mobile for a about a day - I thought it was fine, but was a bit too apple-esque for my liking.

Don't get on with iOS.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm using Android.

Got a Jelly Bean Rom on my S3. Nothing comes close. I left iOS 2 years ago and will never go back while the ecosystem is so closed. Horses for courses. And Android suits me far, far better.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Android all the way for me - I have pissed around with ios / symbian / blackberry / windows phones loads and for me nothing comes close to the Android OS - imo anyways

Thanks
    Karma Level

One question for Android fanbois. Why does it take manufacturers so long to roll out upgrades? Icecream sandwich was released last October, and yet Samsung still hasn't released an update for my Galaxy Tab 8.9, despite promising it in March 2012. XDA is full of pissed users stuck on Honeycomb.. Me included.

Apple.. One update, same day, all devices.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    One question for Android fanbois. Why does it take manufacturers so long to roll out upgrades? Icecream sandwich was released last October, and yet Samsung still hasn't released an update for my Galaxy Tab 8.9, despite promising it in March 2012. XDA is full of pissed users stuck on Honeycomb.. Me included.

Yes it is terribly annoying - I guess it is because they have to create the updates and make them bespoke to hundreds of different devices; whereas with apple it is, as you say, one update, all devices.

Apple have definitely got the advantage over google in this regard - also for things like docking station and such - it is almost impossible to find a speaker dock for an android phone, they are all for ipods.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Apple fanboy here
    IOS all day long

Android is a poormans granny smith the rest are just fruit well past there sell by date

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apple own the hardware and the software. That's the point of iOS.

We could go through the pluses and minuses of both OS all day long. But what would be the point? It has been done on here dozens of times.

If you consider yourself a geek, and you are using iOS... You are not...! If you think a jailbreak gives you the same functionality as android. You are wrong. If you think widgets are just as good on a jailbroken iphone as on the shittest android phone, you are wrong. If you want a phone that looks like every other chavs.... Get an iphone.

The above comments are purely from an android perspective of course, but I believe there is a lot of truth in there....

The reasons I will never own an iphone again are as follows -

Not enough variety of handsets. You either like the latest phone or you don't. No variety.
    You cannot do what you want with it. It's locked down.
    itunes is a complete cunt. I want to plug my phone in any computer and use it like a usb memory stick.
    I want to be able to customise my phone and cook my own roms.
    I fucking love widgets.

There are more. But... I think you get the picture. We don't need to wait for the manufacturers. We can get the software just as early as the newest handsets. I am, and have been for a while running Jellybean. My phone isn't a nexus device. And my old handset which is older than the iphone 4, runs JB very smoothly.

But....

I am happy for you and your iphone. If that's what suits you and you prefer it's up to you. I truly believe that one OS can't really survive, and at least - will not prosper, without the other. My only real issue with Apple is their litigation issues for patents which should never have been granted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My take on it - a while back phones could be a pita to use but apple thought out a decent, intuiative user interface for their phones.

Now everyone else has realised they need to keep up or disappear, IOS isn't massively easier/nicer to use than most of the other stuff out there.

However everyone knows about how apple like to restict what you can do with what you have bought. I can run proper ubuntu on my android phone. End of argument.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    My take on it - a while back phones could be a pita to use but apple thought out a decent, intuiative user interface for their phones.

Now everyone else has realised they need to keep up or disappear, IOS isn't massively easier/nicer to use than most of the other stuff out there.

However everyone knows about how apple like to restict what you can do with what you have bought. I can run proper ubuntu on my android phone. End of argument.
    Any tutorials on how to do this?

Wouldnt like to use Android for business use tbh.
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haven't done it yet as I've only got a little sd card but install Complete Linux Installer from the store and it will give you instructions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What about the fact that Android is older than iOS?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    Yes it is terribly annoying - I guess it is because they have to create the updates and make them bespoke to hundreds of different devices; whereas with apple it is, as you say, one update, all devices.
    But who is they? Google release a reference OS like Ice Cream Sandwich, which companies like Samsung then take and customise according to their tablets. The question is, why has it taken Samsung over a year to release a customised ROM for my Tablet when one of their spokesmen initially quoted Q1 2012. Most of their Tabs will be obsolete by the time they receive their first update. Its almost as if a massive corp like Samsung have a single bloke working on ROM roll-outs, and he's been off sick for the last 2 months with work related stress. You just need to look at the speed of development on XDA to know that what is possible. I do appreciate that Samsung have to be sure that any updates are Rock Solid as they will be pushed to millions of users, but then Apple have an even bigger userbase and they manage it fine. Again we're not talking about a minor Tab manufacturer, but the largest Android one.

At the end of the day I'm happy to pay £150 for a clearance Galaxy Tab 8.9, but there is no way I'd pay iPad money for one.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

casio (25th August 2012),  Welsh Pete (27th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

But who is they? Google release a reference OS like Ice Cream Sandwich, which companies like Samsung then take and customise according to their tablets. The question is, why has it taken Samsung over a year to release a customised ROM for my Tablet when one of their spokesmen initially quoted Q1 2012. Most of their Tabs will be obsolete by the time they receive their first update. Its almost as if a massive corp like Samsung have a single bloke working on ROM roll-outs, and he's been off sick for the last 2 months with work related stress. You just need to look at the speed of development on XDA to know that what is possible. I do appreciate that Samsung have to be sure that any updates are Rock Solid as they will be pushed to millions of users, but then Apple have an even bigger userbase and they manage it fine. Again we're not talking about a minor Tab manufacturer, but the largest Android one.

At the end of the day I'm happy to pay £150 for a clearance Galaxy Tab 8.9, but there is no way I'd pay iPad money for one.
    I agree with you on the tablet side of things. I think the ipad is still easily the best tablet, although you can pick up some nice android tablets at a reasonable price.

But... I don't think Apple are innovating any longer, and haven't done for a while. Everything "new" they have added to recent OS updates have been influenced by devs on cydia or by Android.

I also cannot answer why the rom updates take so long. But... Google are working with manufacturers closer than before and hopefully we'll see more AOSP roms on phones straight from the shop. Or... Quicker roll outs of their customisations. Personally.... I haven't found any manufacturer UIs to be an improvement on stock android, and I wish they'd leave a brilliant OS like Jelly Bean alone. But.... That is where google operate, taking the opposite stance to Apple and their closed OS. and I reiterate that I believe we need both in the modile device market to create innovation and fill demand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Still using a 2 year old HTC Desire here and only paying £7 a month after renewing my contract without a new phone. I just don't use my phone for anything else but making phone calls and txt/emails.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    But... I don't think Apple are innovating any longer, and haven't done for a while. Everything "new" they have added to recent OS updates have been influenced by devs on cydia or by Android.
    I would value refinement over innovation. Essentially iOS is nothing more than a massive App Launcher, so no active wallpapers, widgets, fancy transition graphics.. but at launching Apps, switching between phone and apps, being stable etc.. it performs admirably. Google on the other hand is a company run by nerds, and with their development campus' around the world and famous Google Labs they generate tons of innovative products but the majority never make it very far, or are not exactly intuitive to use. Horses for courses, I'm a little nerdy but I also love aesthetics, good design and simplicity so Apple is for me. And if I feel like going under the hood, I can JB and mess around that way.

That is where google operate, taking the opposite stance to Apple and their closed OS. and I reiterate that I believe we need both in the modile device market to create innovation and fill demand.
    I think that space will be filled by Microsoft. They've sat back and watched both companies slug it out, and with the Surface they will be ready with their solution. Interestingly it will be a closed system like iOS but where they will have a massive advantage is the unifying experience of Desktop/Laptop, Phone, Tablet and Cloud. To be able to transition seamlessly between all your devices will be great and having Office natively on your Tab will corner the enterprise market. My money is on MS overtaking Android, certainly in tablets
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Geko (25th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't see microsoft making a dent. And with Windows 8 they are taking a massive step sideways. I can see them losing ground in the desktop OS area eventually. Chrome, or another OS is going to start eating into their domination.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can see them losing ground in the desktop OS area eventually. Chrome, or another OS is going to start eating into their domination.
    No chance. Governments + Big Businesses run Microsoft apps on a legacy basis. The chance of some them switching is 0. Switching software is one thing but then converting mass users + customers = potential chance of loss.

A good example of an upgrade going wrong is the Natwest fuck up eariler this year and that was due to the bank using a really old programming language. The issue they have now is that all their mainframes revolve around this software and they have 0 chance of changing it unless they are willing to spend the silly money on research + development.

I can see the surface taking off big time. I meet with a few council members regularly and they have been given ipads for email on the go due to it having exchange integration. If Microsoft pull the launch off correctly they are onto a winner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wanted one of them for ages. When I eventually got it about 12 months after it was released I was amazed at what I could do with it but the user experience I thought was terrible. As great as it techinically was, I think I ditched it after about 3 months as it drove me nuts.
    I got it for and sold it for the exact same reason as yourself. I didnt know the fucking thing could be flashed and be made useable till i saw a collegue using his. Once the phone is flashed its a completely different device. Its a pity the screen has such a shit resolution.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What about the fact that Android is older than iOS?
    Yeah it started development in 2003, do you think Apple just developed IOS out of the blue when the first iphone came out? I reckon it must have started out at about the same time or slightly earlier as it was originally designed for the ipad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast