Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Gluten allergy / Coeliac Disease,

Any body got any experience of the above?

My missus was concerned about my lad last year, showing signs of gluten intolerance.
    Pot belly, overweight etc. (a little over concerned maybe)

Doctor thought he may be gluten intolerant, so asks for tests to be done. However, since the initial concern he has grown in height and weight has levelled itself out. He is showing no signs, and we have just returned from 2 weeks in France where he ate tons of bread and pasta with no problem whatsoever.

Any way the doctor rang today with results from his biopsy to say he is gluten intollerant, so needs to go onto a gluten free diet. I am not sure about this, as like I said, he eats lots of bread with no complaints at all.

Is gluten allergy the new asthma? With every doctor bumping up levels to hit targets? One of our conversations with the hospital did lead to us being told 'We (the Hospital / Department) have targets to reach'.
    2 of my lads have been told they have asthma. They have never had to use an inhaler yet (eldest is 22)!!

Has anybody got any thoughts / experience.

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Gluten allergy / Coeliac Disease,

Quote Originally Posted by rmj2663 View Post

Has anybody got any thoughts / experience.

Thanks
    You can have a level of gluten intolerance and not be Coeliac.
    My dad is coeliac and if he even looks at bread he's ill for days.
    I'm not sure if this helps much to be honest, but I have a level of gluten intolerance and some days I'm pretty bad, some I'm OK.
    I have Crohn's though so generally feel shit most of the time.
    My only suggestion would be allow him to carry on as he is and keep an eye on it. You'll know soon enough if he's having problems with his food.

Thanks to Zoots

rmj2663 (24th August 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The is a Coeliac Society (I think Society) with newsletters and local groups, just do a search. The definition between Coeliac and intolerance is a fine one and just a matter of degree
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    You can have a level of gluten intolerance and not be Coeliac.
    My dad is coeliac and if he even looks at bread he's ill for days.
    I'm not sure if this helps much to be honest, but I have a level of gluten intolerance and some days I'm pretty bad, some I'm OK.
    I have Crohn's though so generally feel shit most of the time.
    My only suggestion would be allow him to carry on as he is and keep an eye on it. You'll know soon enough if he's having problems with his food.

I have Crohn's too. Had it since I was 9 in 1989. 6 weeks ago I gave up meat and Dairy. Felt a lot better since.

Thanks to Geko

Thanks
    Karma Level

My daughter started throwing up after every meal at the age of 2. After numerous visits to the doctors she was given everything from antibiotics, calpol and all the othet usual shit. We visited the docors so many times to try and help her but the doctor made me and the missus feel like hypochondriacs. In the meantime my daughter was getting thinner and looking more and more ill. I know they say never to diagone an illness on the internet but I did my research and Coeliacs dont tend to vomit their food, they get other symptoms so I was struggling to find a reason for her ill health. Anyway we kept my daughter off the gluten for a few days and we could see an improvement. Until one day she had gluten again and was sick. So at that point we thought sod the shit doctors and took her to hospital and explained the situation. After a few blood tests it was clear that she had Coeliac desease and was highly intolerant to gluten. we should have reported our doctor for incompetence because if it was left to him our daughter most probably would be close to death.
    The good news though is that every month we get a prescription for bread, pasta etc which is very expensive in the supermarkets. My daughter is a picture of health now. Because she is Coeliac we tend to cook a lot more fresh food.
    The Australians are not far off finding a cure to the desease, so hopefully in the next five years there will be no more coeliacs.

2 Thanks given to bub

rmj2663 (3rd September 2012),  Zoots (3rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

^^

I find all GPs are like this.

My mum had to push and push for my diagnosis of Crohn's when I was 10. In the end I had to go to Gt. Ormond Street to get diagnosed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    My daughter started throwing up after every meal at the age of 2. After numerous visits to the doctors she was given everything from antibiotics, calpol and all the othet usual shit. We visited the docors so many times to try and help her but the doctor made me and the missus feel like hypochondriacs. In the meantime my daughter was getting thinner and looking more and more ill. I know they say never to diagone an illness on the internet but I did my research and Coeliacs dont tend to vomit their food, they get other symptoms so I was struggling to find a reason for her ill health. Anyway we kept my daughter off the gluten for a few days and we could see an improvement. Until one day she had gluten again and was sick. So at that point we thought sod the shit doctors and took her to hospital and explained the situation. After a few blood tests it was clear that she had Coeliac desease and was highly intolerant to gluten. we should have reported our doctor for incompetence because if it was left to him our daughter most probably would be close to death.
    The good news though is that every month we get a prescription for bread, pasta etc which is very expensive in the supermarkets. My daughter is a picture of health now. Because she is Coeliac we tend to cook a lot more fresh food.
    The Australians are not far off finding a cure to the desease, so hopefully in the next five years there will be no more coeliacs.
    That is my main point. He is not showing any signs. No stomach aches, no typical 'IBS' symptoms, no sickness etc. In fact there is supposed to be stunted growth and problems with puberty etc, he is 12 at present and has grown 4" in the last 12 months, shoe size from 3 to 5 1/2 in 12 months, and no problems with early signs of puberty, voice on the change etc.

he loves bread & pasta, virtually lived off it for 2 weeks while on holiday recently. Showing absolutely no signs.
    In general a healthy looking specimen, and I dont really want to restrict his diet unnecessarily.

Have a follow up appointment soon, so will raise issues there and se what comes of it.
    Thanks for your input guys.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rmj2663 View Post
    That is my main point. He is not showing any signs. No stomach aches, no typical 'IBS' symptoms, no sickness etc. In fact there is supposed to be stunted growth and problems with puberty etc, he is 12 at present and has grown 4" in the last 12 months, shoe size from 3 to 5 1/2 in 12 months, and no problems with early signs of puberty, voice on the change etc.

he loves bread & pasta, virtually lived off it for 2 weeks while on holiday recently. Showing absolutely no signs.
    In general a healthy looking specimen, and I dont really want to restrict his diet unnecessarily.

Have a follow up appointment soon, so will raise issues there and se what comes of it.
    Thanks for your input guys.
    You need blood tests, my daughter has hers annually. Also it's best to have the blood test with gluten in the body to see how it is affecting the immune system. If there is no gluten in the system a Coeliac or someone with intolerance to Gluten will show all clear.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    my Father has Coeliac disease and if he eats gluten his skin comes up in angry red water blisters - all over, even in his hair. he also gets ill but the blisters make him look like a bloody leper.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    You need blood tests, my daughter has hers annually. Also it's best to have the blood test with gluten in the body to see how it is affecting the immune system. If there is no gluten in the system a Coeliac or someone with intolerance to Gluten will show all clear.
    Had blood tests - which gave an indication he was gluten intolerant, then had biopsy which confirms it - apparently.
    But no symptoms. Wierd.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definately needs more tests because if he is Coeliac and there are no visible symptoms I still wouldn't feel comfortable with giving him gluten as it could be damaging his insides without anything visual. You can get prescription bread and pasta anyway so he won't miss out.
    Last edited by bub; 3rd September 2012 at 09:15 PM.