Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dropped Dell E5410 laptop

Ive knocked my E5410 off the sofa onto the floor (laminate) to be honest i expected to pick it up and it be fine, but was met with a dead laptop .

When you plug it in the power button flashes on/off when pressed it stays on for 2 seconds and the light goes off. But nothing actually happens on the machine (no fan spin, no hard drive spin up). Ive took it apart and done a basic strip and put it back together but still getting nothing. Any recommendations on what to do? Ive tried taking out the bios battery and all of the ram/hd so its just the CPU plugged in but even thats giving me the same affect.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dropped Dell E5410 laptop

Latitudes often come with a great warranty. I remember being given one to fix that fell off a desk - the hard drive was knackered as well as the mobo and the case had broke in multiple places.

Called dell up and they asked me what was wrong - told them what would happen when you tried to start up and said I had no idea how this had happened as I had just found the laptop on my desk with a note asking me to repair it. They then asked if there was any visible damage and I said no.

When the guy came in next day to repair it he didn't say a word and proceeded to replace everything that was broken.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Latitudes often come with a great warranty. I remember being given one to fix that fell off a desk - the hard drive was knackered as well as the mobo and the case had broke in multiple places.

Called dell up and they asked me what was wrong - told them what would happen when you tried to start up and said I had no idea how this had happened as I had just found the laptop on my desk with a note asking me to repair it. They then asked if there was any visible damage and I said no.

When the guy came in next day to repair it he didn't say a word and proceeded to replace everything that was broken.
    That could possibly be down to the Engineer rather than company policy. I used to work on Dell's via 3rd party support and the general consensus was if it's physically damaged, then it's not included within their standard warranty, but myself and other engineers would just replace the parts we'd been sent anyway just to close the call, especially if it was a call that was miles out of our usual area.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks to burner1

Over Carl (25th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    myself and other engineers would just replace the parts we'd been sent anyway just to close the call
    Most of the time I called dell out to fix laptops under warranty they seemed to arrive with the majority of parts replacable in the laptop!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most of the time I called dell out to fix laptops under warranty they seemed to arrive with the majority of parts replacable in the laptop!
    Yep. When the call is booked, the 'possible' causes and parts are covered and we would generally get issued more parts than needed to cover all eventualities to save rebooking the call because the part causing the issue isn't there. We would tend to replace and test each part starting with the obvious ones first. If we fixed it with just one or two replacement parts, we'd send the rest as unused back into the parts pool.

Because we had all or most parts to cover a call, we would generally just keep replacing suspect/damaged parts to resolve the issues.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

That could possibly be down to the Engineer rather than company policy. I used to work on Dell's via 3rd party support and the general consensus was if it's physically damaged, then it's not included within their standard warranty, but myself and other engineers would just replace the parts we'd been sent anyway just to close the call, especially if it was a call that was miles out of our usual area.
    Totally Agree.

I worked both Dell and HP field service in central london for years and I only knocked em back on drop or liquid damage if the customer had been an arse or kept me waiting in reception for a long time and I had only 8 quid or so in the parking meter.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    Totally Agree.

I worked both Dell and HP field service in central london for years and I only knocked em back on drop or liquid damage if the customer had been an arse or kept me waiting in reception for a long time and I had only 8 quid or so in the parking meter.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2
    True.. a nice welcome and offer of a cuppa would go well in their favour.. If they get shirty from the off, then I will stick to the company policy and put it down to user damage/error etc. not replace anything and that's the end of it.

Being nice costs nothing but could save some people a lot of grief and money... that's why I'm always polite etc. when dealing with other people in customer services if I have an issue with them (I save the swearing until I've walked away or hung up the phone).

Thanks
    Karma Level

True.. a nice welcome and offer of a cuppa would go well in their favour.. If they get shirty from the off, then I will stick to the company policy and put it down to user damage/error etc. not replace anything and that's the end of it.
    Maybe that's the trick - whenever the engineer would come in, even though I was normally rushed off my feet, I would stop and immediately get him from reception, make him a tea/coffee and have a 5 min random chit chat before giving him a nice clean desk to work on.

Thanks to Over Carl

burner1 (25th August 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe that's the trick - whenever the engineer would come in, even though I was normally rushed off my feet, I would stop and immediately get him from reception, make him a tea/coffee and have a 5 min random chit chat before giving him a nice clean desk to work on.
    Makes all the difference mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

when you power it on does the caps lock light flash??

That will happen if the system board is dead