Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Car Insurance is disgusting this year...!

I've been shopping around as my car insurance runs out next week.

I've been to GoCompare, CompareTheMarket, Direct Line, Quinn and Admiral so far.

Last year, for the missus and I on our old banger T Plate Audi A4 'run around' cost £360 Fully Comp which was reasonable and we paid it in full.
    This year my renewal is threw the roof and I cannot find anywhere cheaper than £550.

Really not happy about it as I have Full Protected No Claims and have NEVER been in an accident, have a squeaky clean licence and I've been driving for 15 years (I'm 35, so Saga is out of the question).
    Looks like the careful drivers are being stung even more because of the compensation culture this nation has adopted from the states, but in turn fucking ourselves in the arse.

All these fuckers claiming whiplash when they had a minor bump is beyond a joke now, especially when Car Insurance is a legal necessity and they can charge whatever they want.
    Can I claim for a tracker to put in MY car like these youngsters are doing to lower their premiums? Probably not!

/Rant Over.

Anyone know of any other insurance firms that can be a little more reasonable?

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Car Insurance is disgusting this year...!

My AA renewal came through at about the same as last year - £200 fully comp protected no claims (15 years) on a V plate Omega 2.5TD. Did my usual confused.com search and I can get it from Swinton for @ £150. - Might be worth a look fella.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Swinton here as well 230 quid for me and the wife on a 1.8 scenic fully comp

Thanks
    Karma Level

ring them and haggle. it works.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i had a renewal on my fiat coupe with footman james, 2 yrs ago 280ish, last yr 365, this yr 415 - fully comp on classic policy 4500 miles.

i rang them and told em basically it was too much, eventually they dropped to 373. so savings to be had with a phone call.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been driving 13yrs, got 8yrs NCD, paying just under £500 for Fully Comp with Protected NCD on a 306 GTI6 and a 206 GTI.

Went up about £100 from last year as well the cunts, though it would be £400 if I paid in full rather than monthly.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just tried Swinton and Confused.com. Both coming up at £588.

I hate this chore. It's such a minefield these days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant believe your wingeing at paying that......... I admit it should be going down not up.

Im 38 this year with 20 years no claims with a 03 peugeot 307 sw, Only me driving with 3 kids and wife (BL3 area fucking claim wankers boosting false claims etc) ...... and my insurance renewal this year was £900.... I was paying £400 about 3 years ago.....

I'd swap with you lot anyday....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine is down 25% this year. It was £400 last year, renewal came in at the same price, I went through confused and got the price down to £300 with the same company...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Deja have you tried moneysupermarket, and the obvious stuff like adjusting excess etc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

higher excess, lower mileage, drive, garage all make big diff.

I had read somewhere that its now common place for the insurers to do this as its the British culture to just accept it and not to haggle.

I always use to tell them my best price after hunting around and knock £50 OFF that price, usually they will give in, also sometimes is better to pay monthly as depending on the rate they make on finance they can sometimes do it cheaper

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    I cant believe your wingeing at paying that...
    ... and my insurance renewal this year was £900.... I was paying £400 about 3 years ago.
    I can't believe you agreed to pay £900. That's waaaaaaay too much!
    I would rather pull my motor off the road than pay some rip off merchant £900 a year, especially as it's over doubled in 3 years! Insurance companies are printing their own money these days.

Yes, there is a lot of false claims, but I'm a sure as shit that it doesn't warrant these ramped up prices. There are loads of law abiding, careful drivers that can prove they are, that are getting stamped by these fuckers antics.

All the quotes I've been getting is using the 'smelling of roses' approach (On drive, large excess, 6,000 miles etc).

I think I'm gonna have to try the direct approach instead of settling for these 'comparing sites', I'll ring them up and see if I can get an explanation why MY insurance has shot up when MY circumstances haven't changed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just renewed myself, did all the price compariosn checks etc and went with swinton

The have a £40 cashback offer at the moment but sent me an email with a link to the below page which gives £75 off. Also went through topcashback for for another £40 back, total price after cashbacks will be £153

http://www.swintonsizzler.co.uk/car

Thanks
    Karma Level

What I don't get is is some fuckers claimed either by a genuine accident or not, make them cunts pay a higher premium not those who drive carefully and don't claim injuries when there is fuck all to claim for.

I've got 2 claims in the last 5 years and its hitting me hard, 2009 xmas I got T-boned - Saab convertible written off.
    2010 again some dumb bint drives into my parked car, lucky for me kids where in the garden and she was about to pull away the cunt.

Both non faults yet they ARE going against me as I've claimed from another insurer.

last year it was OH we had a bad winter, ok fair enough I can see that, but wtf this year has been the mildest fucking winter on record.

Seriously piss's me off insurance cos every year I know i've got to bend over and let the fuckers bum me dry.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm insured with tescos and usually when I ring up they give me a decent discount from the quote they send me. This year they wanted to charge me 700 quid for just third party fire and theft and wouldn't budge on the amount. My insurance was 430 quid last year so I was gobsmacked where they pulled this figure from.

I ended up going with admiral as they wanted to charge 480 quid and I got a free meerkat.

The funny thing is my car is a R reg fiesta that does around 6k a year and is probably only worth 300 quid bunch of dick turpins the lot of them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

God I am so glad I don't drive....

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well its got a bit better this year for me i must say, about 3 years ago i got my mk5 golf gti and the insurance was 800 with direct line, then the next year it went up to 850 with them, but i didnt mind paying the extra because they were very good to me when i had issues with my 306, but then the third year i went to insure the car they wanted me to pay 1600........and i asked why, and their answer was due to the number of claims made due to the snow, uninsured drivers and the injury claims. so i asked them if i havent made any claims why should i get punished for other people having dings, thats the whole point of having a no claims and keeping ur nose clean on the road, they really didnt have an answer and told me to take it or leave it, and i said i would leave it, now i am with elephant and they covered me for £750 and with elephant that included business insurance too. which to me isnt a bad deal for a group 17 car but only got 3 years of no claims and hopefully that figure will continue to drop for me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I can't believe you agreed to pay £900. That's waaaaaaay too much!
    I would rather pull my motor off the road than pay some rip off merchant £900 a year, especially as it's over doubled in 3 years! Insurance companies are printing their own money these days.

Wish I could,Would cost more on commute . This was from Admiral who was by far the cheapest, But same insurance but at a different address I.e sister in laws in Wigan and I would be paying £450...... Now that boils the piss.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Might have taken me all day, but I finally found a reasonable deal from Tesco's.

Offering me a discount using my Club Card and double points or something for the year (not even sure), managed to get it down to £398 which is not too bad.
    Might have a little ring round tomorrow armed with that information and try to get someone to beat it by £40 that will match last year, just for the sake of it.

Elephant wasn't too bad either - coming in @ £409.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try Chris Knott and Adrian Flux.
    Both were cheap for me but Adrian flux charge a high interest rate if paying monthly.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast