Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

News Nokia, Microsoft to hold New York event on Sept. 5

Starting this thread for WP people. I've been looking forward to this, and the event is tomorrow. I hope the new Nokia's come with Pure View cameras and a better battery. A lot of rumors already e.g. wireless charging but let's see what they come out with.

Nokia and Microsoft will host a press conference in New York on the same day Nokia World kicks off in Helsinki.
    by Lynn La
    August 15, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

Nokia and Microsoft's New York invitation.
    (Credit: Nokia)
    If you're bummed that you can't make it to Nokia World in Helsinki this year, don't fret -- the mobile company will be holding another event here in the United States on the very same day.

In partnership with Microsoft, Nokia will host a press conference on September 5 at 9:30 a.m. in New York.
    Though no details have been released, we anticipate that whatever is going to be said in Helsinki will also be announced in the Big Apple.
    Back in June, Windows Phone 8 was unveiled to developers during the Windows Phone Summit. So it's not a huge leap to suspect that these two upcoming events will pertain to the new OS.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-574...#ixzz25T0QJWhj
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nokia, Microsoft to hold New York event on Sept. 5

I giggle anytime I see a Nokia headline these days.

Before you push a device, try building one that works with SkyGo, or SkySportsNews Apps etc. Or keep flooding the market with devices aimed for 17 year olds instead, as that's obviously working.

So glad I decided to jump ship from 13 years of Nokia buy taking a HTC Desire HD off Byron666 on here a few years ago...Never looked back.
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I really like the Mrs Nokia 710. Id certainly consider another Nokia when my upgrade is due in 18 months, especially if Windows 8 is popular. Could make for a nice mobile/desktop ecosystem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I giggle anytime I see a Nokia headline these days.

Before you push a device, try building one that works with SkyGo, or SkySportsNews Apps etc. Or keep flooding the market with devices aimed for 17 year olds instead, as that's obviously working.

So glad I decided to jump ship from 13 years of Nokia buy taking a HTC Desire HD off Byron666 on here a few years ago...Never looked back.
    I'm slightly offended, some respect should be in place, Nokia invented the smartphone.

I strongly believe that the new devices will be very competitive. I don't care about Sky, I live in Singapore, in general I don't care much about watching sport either, in particular on my mobile. Are you certain this is a WP problem and not Sky's fault?

I'm 41, and quite happy with my Lumia 800, of course there's room for improvement, and I believe some of the improvements will be seen tomorrow.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Nokia, Microsoft to hold New York event on Sept. 5

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    I'm slightly offended, some respect should be in place, Nokia invented the smartphone.
    Was that the Nokia Communicator?

I can't believe how much Nokia have slipped in the past years. I remember my first few mobiles, Nokia ruled the roost with gsm handsets. Every other phone you saw back in the day seemed to be a Nokia.
    I hope they can challenge the likes of HTC and Samsung, they are due a good run.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by funkyg View Post
    Was that the Nokia Communicator?
    Yep, I referred to the Communicator.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it all blew up globally with Nokia, with the N95.

Oh the days of ripping apart the keypad to fix felt to the slider to stop it wobbling. Or the days of pricking the ear speaker with a needle and blowing into it, to stop the crackle sound.

But that 5MP CZ Camera was the shit!

Infact, off the back of the N95 me and my friend started a whole website, n95users.net, that then moved into Nokiausers.net.

Had some fun times with Nokia, but their poor designs, lack of real innovation and basically, shite OS' led me away.

I mean who the fuck has to self sign an app using a .cert and .key files and then merge them and mark a file just so it worked on your phone (this isn't even "cracked!")

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope Nokia do make some kind of a comeback...let's face it pretty much all of us have owned a Nokia at some point in time and been perfectly happy with it. Whoever told them to stick with Symbian wan't shooting, as it's all their fault.

Thanks
    Karma Level

s60 V3 / V5 s40 , meego, meemo etc etc blah blah

Elop the cunt is to blame.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Still got my last communicator 9110i in the drawer in my study great phones, and yep they made some great phones I got my first nokia (aka Technophone) back in 1995 and pretty much only ever had nokias till the N96 - tried ericcson eh237 back in the day - great phne but crap user interface - that was the main thing Nokia did right, once you'd driven a nokia then pretty much every newer handset had the same interface, until they started with symbian, but even with the symbian handsets they followed the same basic ideas of evolving.

I think they lost it by trying to produce too many new models every year - they used to make 1 or 2 models for the cheap range, 1 or 2 mid range handsets and 1 (sometimes 2) top of the range handsets and that's what they should have stuck with. N95 was the last decent handset they made - N900 could have been soo much more but they fecked it up .

Love to see them make a decent comeback to the market though

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    I hope Nokia do make some kind of a comeback...let's face it pretty much all of us have owned a Nokia at some point in time and been perfectly happy with it. Whoever told them to stick with Symbian wan't shooting, as it's all their fault.
    Symbian was / is a fine OS, but they should have made the move to Android on the smart phones a few years back.
    Nokia still make some great basic handsets, and Symbian is perfect for this. Let's remember not everybody wants a smartphone.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sep 5, 08:23 PT
    Availability: "Q4" - China availability: no announcement today, but China is "very important", says Nokia.

Sep 5, 08:21 PT
    Nokia's CEO is going over the "ambition" that Nokia had, when it created the Lumia phone, and we're getting into the Q&A session.

Sep 5, 08:20 PT
    "The work that Nokia is doing is wonderful. Congratulations" says Steve Balmer.

Sep 5, 08:19 PT
    Balmer also mentions the standardization of the APIs and app stores between the Desktop and the smartphone platforms. Microsoft expects almost 500M new devices running windows 8 and WP8. That's PC and smartphones > This is a huge opportunity for developers, says Balmer.

Sep 5, 08:18 PT
    Steve Balmer plugs Bing and Bing technologies on stage at the Nokia event. Xbox, Skydrive are also mentioned as part of a larger push for unification between desktop and smartphone.

Sep 5, 08:17 PT
    More windows phone 8 devices and announcements are coming, says Steve Balmer.

Sep 5, 08:16 PT
    "This is a year for Windows" says Steve Balmer. Balmer goes over the unification of Windows and Windows Phone (on the surface and deep below)

Sep 5, 08:15 PT
    Steve Balmer is very pleased with the progress of Windows Phone and the relationship with Nokia. HE says that Windows Phone is like "no other phone"

Sep 5, 08:14 PT
    Steve Balmer (MSFT's CEO) is here too. (surprise!)

Sep 5, 08:13 PT
    The 920 and the 820 side by side. and we're back to Nokia's CEO...

Sep 5, 08:12 PT
    The 820 can change shell, so you don't have to choose your color on the day of purchase. That's not a polycarbonate phone... The Lumia 820 has two types of shell : with and without wireless charging.

Sep 5, 08:11 PT
    Here's the Lumia 820 -- a more affordable version, of the 920

Sep 5, 08:10 PT
    Apple uses "Magical" but Nokia just used "Miraculous" to describe its Pureview tech

Sep 5, 08:10 PT
    Another photo taken by a Nokia employee with the Lumia 920 on a cloudy day in a stadium. The pitch: "didn't need a DSLR on that day"

Sep 5, 08:08 PT
    And with opureview... . Ok we'll need to try that for ourselves!

Low light shooting: no Pureview...

WP8 also allows full-resolution uploads on SkyDrive. That way, you can find the same photos with all the extra meta-data.

We're looking at a demo shot with a Nokia 920 and a Galaxy S3 on the same mount. In this video the stabilization of the Nokia Lumia 920 blows the GS3 out of the water.

Sep 5, 08:07 PT
    The floating lens works because the smartphone lens is so small that the whole thing can be mounted on a stabilizer. Normally only the lens itself is stabilized. Here's how Nokia tested it

Sep 5, 08:06 PT
    to solve the slow-shutter problem, Nokia uses optical image stabilization with its "floating lens" technology. The lens floats and ocmpensates for the motion of the phone.

Sep 5, 08:05 PT
    Back to PureView: "it's about capturing more light" says Nokia. You can increase the aperture (f2.0 here) and keep the shutter open longer. Of course, slow shutter induces blurry images...

Sep 5, 08:04 PT
    Another demo of the same technology applied to a movie. The user can animate only part of the movie while the rest stays still. Fun.

Sep 5, 08:03 PT
    The white silhouettes show were bystanders got erased

Sep 5, 08:03 PT
    Smartshoot lets you compose several photos to perform effects like removing random people walking around your friends.

Sep 5, 08:02 PT
    Angry Bird Roost is shown on stage. It's some kind of Angry Bird compilation. For hardcore fans...

Sep 5, 08:01 PT
    We're coming back to the AR demo with Nokia City Lens. Basically, it's the typical AR app that shows restaurants etc overlayd on top of the camera view.

Sep 5, 07:59 PT
    2.5 faster than any LCD on current smartphones, says Nokia, talking about the refresh rate and responsiveness

We're starting with a generic Windows 8 demo. And Joe is going to demonstrate the evolution of the basic functionalities

New JBL accessory for Nokia with NFC and Wireless charging -- wait, the Lumia 920 has NFC btw... NFC is used to pair the phone with the speaker by "tapping" once.

Sep 5, 07:57 PT
    New JBL accessory for Nokia with NFC and Wireless charging -- wait, the Lumia 920 has NFC btw... NFC is used to pair the phone with the speaker by "tapping" once.

Sep 5, 07:55 PT
    Here come the wireless charging accessories. Well - it worked and that was easy enough...

Sep 5, 07:55 PT
    Back to Nokia...

Sep 5, 07:54 PT
    It works because the screen has too modes: capacitive and non-capacitive.

Sep 5, 07:54 PT
    And it works with gloves too (yep, that's important in Finland)

Sep 5, 07:51 PT
    The bottom-line > there is a lot of room for innovation with third party camera apps. This removes some friction because you don't have to navigate away from the default camera app.

Sep 5, 07:49 PT
    "it all starts with innovation and design" says Nokia. The 920 brings the curved display back.

Sep 5, 07:48 PT
    Lens applications: they are apps that integrate deeply with the camera. You can see the default apps, but also 3rd party apps, here CNN iReport.

Sep 5, 07:48 PT
    Here's the Blink demo, an app that shoots a burst of portraits and saves the whole burst as a single entity in the gallery. The user can go back to blink and use the other frames. This means that 3rd party devs can now build apps that go beyond just saving a photo. Keeping the history of photos etc... is now possible

Sep 5, 07:47 PT
    Joe is showing different layout options for the home page. The idea is that people can customize this according to their own interests.

Sep 5, 07:43 PT
    At the bottom of the photo, the gallery keeps track of which apps captured the photos

Sep 5, 07:43 PT
    This is the effects suite lens app. It's a basic demo that shows a few effects that users can choose. It was coded by MSFT interns.

Sep 5, 07:41 PT
    Demo of the CNN app and the large live tiles.

Sep 5, 07:41 PT
    Camera: pinch and zoom is now supported.

Sep 5, 07:39 PT
    Joe is showing how the smaller tiles in Windows Phone 8 allow users to personalize their home page more efficiently to see what;s important to them.

Sep 5, 07:38 PT
    Obviously, once the screenshot has been taken, you can share using the many options on WP8. As you install more apps, more options should show up

Sep 5, 07:38 PT
    Power+Home now takes a screenshot. (FINALLY). This is very handy and could not come one second too early

Sep 5, 07:36 PT
    Pulse demo shows dyamic HTML5 page rescaling that works on phones and tablets.

Sep 5, 07:36 PT
    IE10 demo and how to customize it to make it a (tiny) bit more personal.

Sep 5, 07:34 PT
    Apps demo: the old Windows Phone 7 "just run" on WP8, despite a new resolution etc. The apps were untouched, not even recompiled.

Sep 5, 07:32 PT
    Joe wants to keep an eye with what's going from Microsoft leaders like Steve Balmer. That's now right at the top of his phone...

Sep 5, 07:29 PT
    And Joe Belfiore from MSFT is going to demo Windows 8 to us. He's going recap the info from the June launch, and show new things, especially related tgo the camera

Sep 5, 07:28 PT
    We're going over the features again, so it looks like we've seen all the hardware features. Now, we're back to Windows Phone 8

Sep 5, 07:27 PT
    Virgin Atlantic will place wireless charging pads in their lounges and Tea Leaf will place mets on their tables for customers to use. "It's the start of a new era of smartphone power mnagement", says Nokia

Sep 5, 07:26 PT

Sep 5, 07:26 PT
    And of course, there is wireless charging, using the Qi wireless charging standard, so that customers can charge phones with any wireless charging device using this.

Sep 5, 07:24 PT
    As we have heard before, the Nokia phones will run wuth the Snapdragon S4 dual-core platform that has been proven in many phones

Sep 5, 07:24 PT
    The Lumia 920 gets a 2000 mAh battery

Sep 5, 07:23 PT
    Nokia wanted to make a screen that is readable in direct sunlight.The company claims that it can change the colors of the screen to adjust to bright lighting. It's like changing the Gamma correction on the fly- smart.

Sep 5, 07:22 PT
    Nokia calls its display tech Pure Motion HD+. It has a fast refresh rate to avoid blurring. This is a 4.5" display

Sep 5, 07:21 PT

Sep 5, 07:21 PT
    Nokia Maps is also getting augmented reality (AR), and it works similarly to City Lens

Sep 5, 07:20 PT
    Nokia City lens is an augmented reality app that is designed to help user find places in a "humane" way, as Nokia puts it.

Sep 5, 07:19 PT
    Nokia also has traffic information, but also public transportation data to get "people to where they want, faster"

Sep 5, 07:18 PT
    Offline maps are present, and this is great because no-noe should use more data than they need. The phone should also work on that place where 3G does not work.

Sep 5, 07:18 PT
    As you know, Nokia is putting a lot of energy behind their location efforts, which include their Navigation apps and other location-based services.

Sep 5, 07:17 PT
    Nokia says that its "floating lens" also allows capturing stable and smooth videos - that remains a challenge for the industry in general

Sep 5, 07:16 PT
    Nokia says that its optical system can capture as much as 10X more light than competing smartphones, and has built-in stabilization tech, the company says.

Sep 5, 07:15 PT
    Nokia wants to get rid of blurry pictures, like the one shown here.

Sep 5, 07:15 PT
    Nokia's goal is to make capturing photos great in ANY lighting, and make a great camera available at all time with users - what's a better place than a smartphone?

Sep 5, 07:14 PT
    Nokia is going over Pureview now. This is a Nokia high-resolution sensor and camera technology that is praised by Symbian users today. It is now available on Windows phone

Sep 5, 07:12 PT
    We're going over the features. Pureview, Maps, Wireless Charging and Windows Phone 8. Snapdraon S4 processor..

Sep 5, 07:12 PT
    The Nokia Lumia 920 has just been introduced! It comes with a pureview Camera

Sep 5, 07:11 PT

Sep 5, 07:10 PT

Sep 5, 07:10 PT
    But today is about the hardware, and Nokia is ready to unveil the new phones...

Sep 5, 07:09 PT
    Nokia is optimizing the company and how it works. The transition is far from over says its CEO.

Sep 5, 07:08 PT

Sep 5, 07:08 PT
    Photo, location and industrial design are among differentiators where Nokia is a leader, says the company. Recently, Bing has invested deeply in Nokia's location platform

Sep 5, 07:07 PT
    But the best is yet to come says Nokia, as the company invests in all aspect of technology to differentiate itself from others.

Sep 5, 07:06 PT
    The end game is to make feature phones look like low-end smartphones. Nokia says that it is working.

Sep 5, 07:05 PT
    Nokia remains commited to feature phones, and entry level devices for developing countries. That includes proxy browsers to compress data in those areas.

Sep 5, 07:05 PT
    7000 to 100,000 apps in the Windows Phone eco-system says Nokia's CEO. Nokia takes some credit for bringing heavy hitters devs in the eco-system

Sep 5, 07:04 PT
    Nokia reminds us that it has also introduced phones into markets like China and India, thus making the Windows Phone market share grow

Sep 5, 07:03 PT
    Windows phone focuses on People, says Nokia's CEO. He is now providing some background info on the Lumia 800 and 900 phones

Sep 5, 07:02 PT
    Nokia says that it can deliver a different experience with Windows Phone

Sep 5, 07:02 PT
    He's providing a background on why Nokia has switched to Windows Phone (because the world had changed).

Sep 5, 07:01 PT
    There we are, the CEO of Nokia is on stage

Sep 5, 06:59 PT
    Some accessories that were previously leaked have appeared on the right side of the stage.

Sep 5, 06:58 PT
    If you want a quick refresher about what Windows Phone 8 is about, check our previous coverage: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/06/win...one-8-preview/

Sep 5, 06:57 PT
    OK, things are heating up a bit. We're asked to silence our phones as the event is about to start.

Sep 5, 06:55 PT

http://live.ubergizmo.com/

2 Thanks given to cronus71

Ashley (5th September 2012),  beerman (5th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Official Press Release From Nokia On Lumia 920 And Lumia 820

September 5, 2012 | By Pradeep
    Press Release:
    Nokia Lumia 920 Captures Best Pictures and Video Ever Seen on a Smartphone
    Espoo, Finland and New York, NY – Nokia today announced the Nokia Lumia 920 and the Nokia Lumia 820, the first devices in Nokia’s Windows Phone 8 range.
    The Nokia Lumia 920 is the flagship Windows Phone 8 smartphone, including the latest advances in Nokia PureView imaging innovation. Using advanced floating lens technology, the camera in the Nokia Lumia 920 is able to take in five times more light than competing smartphones without using flash, making it possible to capture clear, bright pictures and video indoors and at night. It also compensates for hand movement while the photo is being taken.
    “Nokia PureView continues to deliver cutting-edge technology to make it possible for a smartphone camera to take the kind of images usually only seen on a standalone SLR camera,” said Jo Harlow, executive vice president of Nokia Smart Devices. “With the Nokia Lumia 920 we have made it possible to shoot pictures and video at home, outdoors, in a restaurant or even at night, and come out with professional-looking results.”
    “We view imaging as a core area for differentiation in the smartphone space,” said Crawford Del Prete, Executive VP WW Products and Chief Research Officer, IDC. “Low light photography has been a weak point for smartphones. Nokia has addressed this with PureView to create real customer value. By applying its rich expertise in imaging Nokia has created a best of breed experience for everyday use.”
    The Nokia Lumia 920 also comes with Nokia City Lens, the latest addition to the Nokia location suite. By pointing the camera at a city street, City Lens overlays information about restaurants, shops, hotels and more on the surfaces of buildings, for the most intuitive way to explore surroundings. Nokia City Lens is the start of a new augmented reality experience that also enhances Nokia Maps, making it possible to move between maps view and augmented reality view to help people check their direction and surroundings. Along with enhancements to Nokia Drive and Nokia Transport, the Nokia location suite of services represents the most comprehensive, integrated mapping experience of any smartphone.
    The Nokia Lumia 920 also comes with Nokia’s largest ever battery (2000mAh) and, for the first time, built-in wireless charging for an easy, convenient way to get more out of every day.
    The Nokia Lumia 820
    The Nokia Lumia 820 is a stylish, mid-range smartphone that delivers high-end performance in a compact package.
    While the Nokia Lumia 820 has the same unibody look and feel as the high end Lumia smartphones, it comes with an exchangeable shell design. Exchangeable shells not only make it possible to select from a range of colors, but also to add wireless charging. Beneath the shell is room to insert a micro SD memory card.