Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News 2 policewomen killed another tragedy in Hyde

Two unarmed female police officers have been killed in a gun and grenade attack in Greater Manchester, which led to the arrest of a wanted man.

PC Nicola Hughes, 23, and PC Fiona Bone, 32, had been investigating a burglary in Hattersley, Hyde Tameside.

Dale Cregan, 29, has been arrested in connection with the officers' deaths and two previous murders.

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy said it was one of the force's "darkest days".

Mr Cregan was arrested when he walked into Hyde police station a short time after the incident.

A witness at the scene in Abbey Gardens reported hearing 13 gunshots and an explosion shortly before 11:00 BST.

Sir Peter said someone had made a call alleging a burglary had been committed and when the officers arrived they were attacked with a gun and a grenade.

'Excellent bobby'

He said: "We believe that Dale Cregan was in a house in Abbey Gardens overnight and has at some point this morning has either himself made a call or had someone else make a call reporting a burglary.

"This address was not known to us, was not in our intelligence systems [and] had not featured in this particular inquiry."

He added: "As would be routine, two unarmed officers were sent to the scene. When they arrived, it appears Cregan emerged into the road and killed these two officers.

"A firearm was used and a grenade was also used. We are unsure of the cause of deaths until post-mortems are carried out.

"Cregan then went to a local police station and handed himself in."

Sir Peter said the officers exemplified the very best of British policing.

He said Miss Bone was a "calm, gentle woman", an "excellent bobby" and had been in the middle of planning her wedding.

He paid tribute to Miss Hughes, describing her as a "chatterbox" and a "great bobby" who was "always smiling".

"We are absolutely devastated by this loss and our thoughts and condolences go out to the families of these two officers, their friends and in particularly their colleagues who work with them day in, day out who are shocked and distressed at the events of this morning," he said.

'Long, dark shadow'

Police said one of the officers died at the scene and the second was critically injured and died afterwards.

The scene has been cordoned off and there is a heavy police presence in the area, including a bomb disposal team.

A police helicopter is also on patrol overhead.

Dale Cregan, 29, has been arrested

"After that car had drawn up it seems that the two unarmed police officers inside the car went into the property which had stood empty for some months," he said.

'Deeply shocking'

"Whilst they were inside around a dozen shots were fired and there was an explosion."

He added: "There were gunshots fired, possibly a hand grenade as well - that appears to be the suggestions at the moment.

"Those police officers didn't come out of the house again, the police car was left outside with its lights flashing but empty. Emergency services and colleagues were soon here offering assistance."

Prime Minister David Cameron said the killing was "a shocking reminder of the debt we owe to those who put themselves in danger to keep us safe and secure".

Home Secretary Theresa May said: "This is a deeply shocking incident and a terrible reminder of the risks that police officers face every day to keep our communities safe."

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said it was "deeply distressing news [and] a painful demonstration of how police officers put themselves in harm's way every day to protect the public".

Police had been offering a £50,000 reward for information leading to Mr Cregan's arrest as he was wanted over attacks that left a father and son dead.

Sir Peter said looking for him had been a "top priority" for GMP.

He said: "We have some of our best people on this operation. We have carried out over 50 firearms warrants in an attempt to locate him. We have made a number of arrests. We have used all forms of publicity, rewards, to try and locate this man.

"We believe that he has been protected by a criminal conspiracy to harbour him and we are absolutely determined to fully investigate that conspiracy and bring the people involved to book."

Ian Hanson, chairman of the Greater Manchester Police Federation, said: "Words almost fail me. I want to look beyond the uniform here.

"What we've got are two young girls who went out this morning and they've got an absolute right to come home to their loved ones.

"This is cold-blooded murder, the slaughter of the innocents."

Witness Warren Shepherd was up a ladder cleaning the windows of a house nearby when the shooting happened.

He said: "I heard about 10 shots quite close, bang, bang, bang, like that. I knew they were gunshots because sometimes there is clay pigeon shooting in the fields.

"I heard a big explosion about 10 seconds after the shots. I got off the ladder, walked round, saw an empty police car.

"A car went speeding past to the main road."

He said he went back to his van but could see the aftermath through a gap between two houses.

"It was like something on the movies," he said.

"It's just so sad for the family of the two police women.

"Both lost their lives just doing their jobs and my heart goes out to their families and I know people around here will feel the same."

He said the house where the incident took place was a council house which had been left empty.

He said there had been some recent activity with the windows covered in whitewash suggesting the house was being decorated.

The police flag at Greater Manchester Police headquarters has been lowered to half mast.

President of the Association of Chief Police Officers Sir Hugh Orde said the deaths of the two officers were "deeply sad news for the police service".

"Whenever police officers and staff lose a colleague that loss is felt right across the police family," he said.

"The thoughts of everyone in policing are with colleagues in Greater Manchester Police, family and friends of the two officers at this time."

ACC Shewan said Mr Cregan had also been arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder in relation to the investigations into the deaths of David Short and Mark Short.

David Short was killed in a gun and grenade attack in Clayton on 10 August.

His son, Mark, was killed in a pub shooting at the Cotton Tree Pub in Droylsden in May.

BBC News
    Last edited by ilscuro; 18th September 2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Mottram was incorrect it happened in hattersley, hyde

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2 policewomen killed another tragedy in Hyde

What towns that mate? Terrible thing to happen.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2 policewomen killed another tragedy in Hyde

Hyde, Tameside, greater Manchester mate I remember during the shipman saga the sun newspaper called it 'the town of the dead'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Please follow the section posting rules always giving source and story, I have edited and added from the BBC News site

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

ilscuro (18th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would normally do that bb but on my phone and couldn't sorry

Thanks to ilscuro

Bald Bouncer (18th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Very sad news indeed. If the guy is proven guilty then I hope that the rest of his imprisoned life is hell.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Unhappy to say I know people closely involved with this. There's more arrests been made, but this bloke is one evil bastard. People had been hiding him. He executed them girls, and went into that station and bragged about what he'd done.

RIP Nicola & Fiona. More than a few families lives are in total upheaval at the moment. Relatives, police and residents alike.

Thanks to Zoots

ZX7R (19th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah same here Zoots, this happened less than a mile from my house.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As much as I hate to admit it, arming our police with a plastic stick and can of spray is not working. In the rest of mainland Europe police and even border agents carry a firearm.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't think it would have made much difference in this instance GTI, this guy ambushed them and i don't think the outcome would have been any different armed or not.
    Last edited by ilscuro; 19th September 2012 at 09:55 PM.

3 Thanks given to ilscuro

4me2 (19th September 2012),  DJ OD (20th September 2012),  Zoots (19th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't want to see cops having guns on a more day to day basis really. It doesn't seem to have worked in the states.. just means the idiots in society up the ante 'just in case' they face a cop.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hear this argument about arming British police and it amazes me people still think it's a good idea, we have highly trained firearms officers available if and when they are needed in the UK, if every officer had a gun then the training would be much the same as the other parts of the induction and you would have police carrying guns with minimum training but I will put that all aside and give you the argument I have always used to which I have yet to have a logical rebuff to:

If British police carry guns more criminals will die, more police will die and more innocent civilians will die so anyone who is willing to accept that in my opinion is crazy.

4 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (19th September 2012),  DJ OD (20th September 2012),  dpSparhawk (19th September 2012),  Zoots (19th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    Don't think it would have made much difference in this instance GTI, armed or not if this guy ambushed them, i don't think the outcome would have been any different armed or not.
    No, I agree. The fucker set them up and no amount of guns - even drawn, would have made any difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    No, I agree. The fucker set them up and no amount of guns - even drawn, would have made any difference.
    But if we went down the road of general arming of Police, it would become the norm for Police to draw their weapon in response to the most menial of call outs.. that's when things go pear shaped.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks to burner1

Zoots (19th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Our soft legal system let these girls down. Being armed would not have saved them. They were ambushed. The person who bailed this guy will have to live with the knowledge that they allowed him to stay on our streets.

Fiona was actually one of my neighbours. We have had reporters everywhere trying to get interviews. She didnt deserve to die and the thing that has really sickened me is some of the comments made on twitter and facebook that applauded what has happened. She was just doing a job that needs to be done and is rarely commended. RIP.

3 Thanks given to SiE

4me2 (20th September 2012),  Zoots (19th September 2012),  ZX7R (19th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    But if we went down the road of general arming of Police, it would become the norm for Police to draw their weapon in response to the most menial of call outs.. that's when things go pear shaped.
    Couldn't agree more mate. Never said otherwise. I was agreeing with Ilscuro but think I might have quoted/replied wrongly. I don't agree with the idea that arming our police would be a good idea.

Thanks to Zoots

burner1 (19th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Arm the police?! You have to be kidding. The police can't be trusted with tazers and pepper spray let alone a proper fire arm. Even the armed police go all rambo on a suspect, peppering them with bullets when a couple would do. They abuse every single bit of power they have on a daily basis. All the fancy toys and cars just add to their ego's. Giving them guns is stupid. As said, it will lead to more of them getting shot when they put suspects in do or die situations.

The two women coppers would still be dead. Bowling in a house to investigate a burglary with guns is not a smart move IMO. This isn't the movies.

Why don't we give them grenades as well and rocket launchers?!

They will make a HUGE deal about this case, as it comes in light of the Hillsborough investigation. Yes its sad, and terrible they are dead. Must be awful for the friends and families I am sure. I am sorry for them, but the media and the police PR people will make sure the public get all the exposure from this case. It's their way of trying to soften the corruption seen so clearly after the Hillsborough disaster. 2 dead policewomen against 96 dead footie fans.

I am sure some will pick holes in my comments and make me out to be some sort of police hating maniac but just think about how many false statements were made in that one case. Think how many more that you dont know about to do with other cases. Then think do you want these people armed?

DJ OD

3 Thanks given to DJ OD

4me2 (20th September 2012),  Bald Bouncer (20th September 2012),  pattikins (20th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of their funerals is/was being shown live on Sky News today.

Now this won't surprise some of you, as I have said elsewhere, but this coverage actually offends me.

I think it is wrong, bad taste and should not be shown on TV. It is also only for one of the two shot WPC's so there is a high change there will be another funeral shown live on TV.

If I was a family member of the WPC I would not want a personal and private time being broadcast around the world. I am sure they were asked however, but I am unsure how much of it was their idea.

This is clearly spin for the police force. How many dead firefighters or soldiers in Afghan, funerals are televised in this way?

It's out of order, offensive and disrespectful.

To be clear, I am not condoning what happened to the unfortunate police officers in question, I am merely criticising Sky News and the police PR people and questioning the real reasons for the transmission.

And cue the carnage...

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

Detector (3rd October 2012),  Mr Men (3rd October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the funeral would have been split. The part shown on tv is a strong message to the country that our police force is unified and no matter how much this incident would have hurt the families and the force they will stand together. I would have thought an untelevised part would have been held for the family to grieve. Being part of the services makes you part of a different family.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

it would be ok for say 5 minutes just to cover a bit of it but a full hour of crap? no thanks sky
    A wise man once said " "