Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention 'Wife of Jesus' reference in Coptic 4th Century script

'Wife of Jesus' reference in Coptic 4th Century script

Translate

An ancient scrap of papyrus makes explicit reference to Jesus having a wife, according to a renowned expert in Christian history.

Harvard divinity professor Karen King unveiled the 4th-Century Coptic script at a conference in Rome.
    She said researchers had identified the words "Jesus said to them, 'my wife'", which might refer to Mary Magdalene.
    Christian tradition holds that Jesus did not marry - but Ms King said in early years it was subject to debate.
    The provocative find could spark debate over celibacy and the role of women within Christianity, she added.
    But the announcement sparked scepticism from some theologians.

Jim West, a professor and Baptist pastor in Tennessee, said: "A statement on a papyrus fragment isn't proof of anything. It's nothing more than a statement 'in thin air', without substantial context."
    Wolf-Peter Funk, a noted Coptic linguist attending the same conference as Ms King, said there were "thousands of scraps of papyrus where you find crazy things," and many questions remained about the fragment.

'Worthy disciple'

Ms King said the document, written in ancient Egyptian Coptic, is the first known scripture in which Jesus is reported to cite his wife.
    She said the 4th-Century text was a copy of a gospel, probably written in Greek in the 2nd Century.
    She said initially she was sceptical about the yellowish brown papyrus, and started from the notion that it was a forgery - but that she quickly decided it was genuine.
    Several other experts agreed, she said, but the "final judgment on the fragment depends on further examination by colleagues and further testing, especially of the chemical composition of the ink".
    Ms King said the script was not proof of Jesus's marital status.
    "It is not evidence, for us, historically, that Jesus had a wife," she said.
    "It's quite clear evidence, in fact, that some Christians, probably in the second half of the 2nd Century, thought that Jesus had a wife."
    Ms King said it revealed the concerns of early Christians with regards to family and marriage matters.

A video filmed by Harvard University reveals experts were "sceptical" before examining the ancient scrap of papyrus

"From the very beginning, Christians disagreed about whether it was better not to marry, but it was over a century after Jesus's death before they began appealing to Jesus's marital status to support their positions.
    "What this shows is that there were early Christians for whom sexual union in marriage could be an imitation of God's creativity and generativity and it could be spiritually proper and appropriate."
    Bible scholar Ben Witherington III, a professor in Kentucky, said the term "wife" might simply refer to a female domestic assistant and follower.

Private owner

According to Ms King's research team, the text also quotes Jesus as telling his followers that Mary Magdalene is worthy of being his disciple.
    This, in turn, casts new doubt on the long-held belief that Jesus had no female disciples, and raises issues about Mary's biblical role as a sinner, the researchers said.
    Ms King presented the document at a six-day conference held at Rome's La Sapienza University and at the Augustinianum institute of the Pontifical Lateran University.
    The faded papyrus is hardly bigger than a business card and has eight lines on one side, in black ink legible under a magnifying glass.
    The private collector, who owns the fragment, has asked to remain anonymous because "he doesn't want to be hounded by people who want to buy this", Ms King said.
    She said he had contacted Ms King to help translate and analyse it.
    Nothing was known about the circumstances of its discovery, but because of the script used she had concluded it must have come from Egypt.

Analysis

Kate Cooper Prof Ancient History, University of Manchester

This papyrus text shows how a single fragment can change how we see history.
    Its unveiling could not be better-timed to generate controversy in the English-speaking world, coming just weeks before the Church of England takes a crucial vote on women bishops.
    Since the late 2nd Century, Christians have debated the theological significance of Jesus's close relationships with women. Did his female followers have the ability to "speak for Jesus" after his death, in the way that Peter and other male disciples were invited to?
    The idea of Jesus as a married man will generate its own controversy - but it would have seemed less surprising to early Christian communities when husband-wife missionary couples, like Prisca and Aquila in the letters of the Apostle Paul, were well known.
    Later, Jesus began to be remembered as an ascetic teacher, but in fact the canonical New Testament sources do not comment on his marital status.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

cronus71 (20th September 2012),  Shotgunjim (19th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 'Wife of Jesus' reference in Coptic 4th Century script

The church have copies of all the origional gospels prior to to when the doctored them to create what is now known and the Roman Catholic Bible.... everyone has thier own theory on the holy grail....
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Jim West, a professor and Baptist pastor in Tennessee, said: "A statement on a papyrus fragment isn't proof of anything. It's nothing more than a statement 'in thin air', without substantial context."
    Thats the bible

a professor in Kentucky, said the term "wife" might simply refer to a female domestic assistant and follower

yep thats the definition of a wife. just dont tell her i said that
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks to bbshark

AD (20th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Any particular reason this is in the Hobby section??
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

isnt archaeology a hobby?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I regularly see Archaeology alongside basket weaving and pottery down the local college!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats a posh college you go to. we have to buy our pottery and weaved baskets from the market. Your lot just make them yourselves and save a fortune.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I always thought Jesus was gay.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Quick....burn down the embassy's, burn the flags, kill the infidels, and riot in the streets.....someone's dared to air a negative comment about the prophet !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    Quick....burn down the embassy's, burn the flags, kill the infidels, and riot in the streets.....someone's dared to air a negative comment about the prophet !
    Nah Can't be arsed. I'd rather have a cup of tea and a scone..... Possibly read my paper too. Oh and smoke a pipe.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I believe there are sections missing from the Gospel of Mark alluding to this... Cut & Paste time.

Secret Mark (as I shall call it) is one of several apocryphal gospels that circulated in the early centuries of the Christian era. These alternative accounts of Jesus’ life range from a few verses to entire books. Some, such as the Gospel of Thomas and the Gospel of Mary Magdelene, have received much attention, but most are obscure and known only by New Testament scholars. Secret Mark is unique among these in that it claims to be an expanded version of the canonical gospel of Mark, not an independent gospel. It contains two passages, otherwise unrecorded in the gospel accounts—the first fitting between Mark 10:34 and 10:35 and the second in the middle of Mark 10:46. Fragment 1 reads:
    And they came to Bethany. And there was a woman there, whose brother was dead. And she came and fell down before Jesus and said to him: Son of David, have mercy on me. But the disciples rebuked her. And in anger Jesus went away with her into the garden where the tomb was; and immediately a loud voice was heard from the tomb; and Jesus went forward and rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And immediately he went in where the young man was, stretched out his hand and raised him up, grasping him by the hand. But the young man looked upon him and loved him, and began to entreat him that he might remain with him. And when they had gone out from the tomb, they went into the young man’s house; for he was rich. And after six days Jesus commissioned him; and in the evening the young man came to him, clothed only in linen cloth upon his naked body. And he remained with him that night; for Jesus was teaching him the mysteries of the Kingdom of God. And from there he went away and returned to the other bank of the Jordan.
    Fragment 2 describes what purportedly happened in Jericho:
    He came to Jericho. And there were there the sisters of the young man whom Jesus loved, and his mother and Salome; and Jesus did not receive them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jesus was basically David Blaine in the olden days..
    He was and always will be a Cunt.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

ss30 (25th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to