Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Anti-Islam film: Pakistan minister offers bounty

A Pakistani government minister has offered a $100,000 (£61,616) reward for the death of the maker of an anti-Islam film produced in the US.

Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Bilour told reporters that he would pay the reward for the "sacred duty" out of his own pocket.

He suggested the Taliban and al-Qaeda would be eligible for the reward.

His comments came a day after at least 20 people died in clashes between anti-film protesters and police.

"I announce today that this blasphemer who has abused the holy prophet, if somebody will kill him, I will give that person a prize of $100,000," the minister said.

Friday's violence occurred in cities throughout the country, with Karachi and Peshawar among the worst hit.

The film, denigrating Islam's Prophet Muhammad, has sparked violent protests throughout the Muslim world in recent weeks.

Scores of people were reported to have been injured on Saturday in a clash in Bangladesh's capital Dhaka between police and hundreds of demonstrators.

Police fired tear gas and used batons to disperse stone-throwing protesters who set several vehicles alight, the Associated Press news agency reports.

In Pakistan itself, a peaceful demonstration was held in Islamabad. Protesters marched through the capital and gathered near parliament, chanting slogans against the filmmaker and demanding punishment.

And in Nigeria, tens of thousands of Muslims marched in the northern city of Kano in a protest that passed of peacefully.

Marchers shouted "death to America, death to Israel and death to the enemies of Islam" in a procession several kilometres long. US and Israeli flags were dragged through the dirt.

In hiding

The exact origins of Innocence of Muslims, the low-budget film that has prompted the unrest, are unclear.

The alleged producer of the trailer of the film, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, is in hiding.

Anti-US sentiment grew after a trailer for the film dubbed into Arabic was released on YouTube earlier this month.

US citizens have been urged not to travel to Pakistan and the US embassy has paid for adverts on Pakistani TV showing President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton condemning the film.

Although US targets have borne the brunt of protests against the film, anti-Western sentiment has been stoked further by caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad published this week in the satirical French magazine, Charlie Hebdo.

France shut embassies and other missions in about 20 countries across the Muslim world on Friday.

Source

Well the £650 million in aid to Pakistan last year was money well spent. I wonder if this minister will be reprimanded at least, I imagine not.
    Last edited by big-paul; 22nd September 2012 at 07:22 PM.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anti-Islam film: Pakistan minister offers bounty

While this sort of shit can't be condoned it is a tiny minority of Muslims acting up and let's face it the USA (with us in tow) maraud around the globe acting like the World Police, they even crossed into Pakistan and carried out the Mission to grab (kill) the most wanted man on the planet, just think how it would have been had he been hiding in a compound in this Country, reaping what they sew......
    Pakistani Government Ministers don't hold the patent on idiocy.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stupidity has just risen another level.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Extreme, but he does make some interesting points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dQVU...eature=related
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The world stage is changing and the U.S aren't in control anymore. This all kicking off about some film or other is just an excuse to have a pop at the West which, to be honest, has been coming for some time and it's not really to be that unexpected.

I envisage the U.S/Western alliance to lose it's grip on it's middle eastern strategy/resource interests and then it's downhill for all of us from that point.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks to burner1

Bald Bouncer (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lets face it, Muslims don't like us (The west) and we don't like them. If it wasn't for the oil, we'd have left them to it a long time ago. It appears to me that they only move from the middle east to try and colonise other parts of the world and, in this country at least, it appears to be working. Aren't there more practising Muslims than Christians in the U.K now?

3 Thanks given to TJB

Booyakasha (23rd September 2012),  Fear345 (23rd September 2012),  Realist (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Lets face it, Muslims don't like us (The west) and we don't like them
    i think you should qualify that as 'fundamentalist Muslims', moderates don't hate the West and we don't have any problem with them.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

losttoy (23rd September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Me, everyone is entitled to an opinion but it looks like as long as its not against a Muslims faith and so called god what ever his name is.

And when someone passes a comment about them they jump down everyone's throat saying there s only one god.

If someone has made a film so what it's a bloody film after all and no one has been hurt but they have now and all the killings have been carried out by Muslims how ironic.

Lets face it, Muslims don't like us (The west) and we don't like them. If it wasn't for the oil, we'd have left them to it a long time ago. It appears to me that they only move from the middle east to try and colonise other parts of the world and, in this country at least, it appears to be working. Aren't there more practising Muslims than Christians in the U.K now?

Thanks to Realist

Twincharge (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's events like this that help others achieve their agendas.

I can detect rather a lot of hatred and subtle racism in this thread alone. The media are enjoying showing us how dangerous Islam is and how important it is for us to regulate the Middle East.

Personally, I look at it like this. All religions have their extremists. Most religions were conceived 1000s of years ago and were uncompromising and brutal. People are quick to call Muslims extremists, but no more extreme than some Catholics. For those who can't make the distinction Catholics are Christians. So.. We have extremism in all of the Abrahamic religions, including Judaism. I also think that the whole point of this video was designed to gain media attention and was courting the reaction it has been given from those offended. It has achieved it's goals. As an atheist I believe we should be able to be critical of religion and to point out it's flaws. But it doesn't achieve anything by offending others purposely and for no other reason that to offend.

4 Thanks given to Geko

Bald Bouncer (23rd September 2012),  CallmeGoose (23rd September 2012),  GTI (23rd September 2012),  Titanium (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

This post is a prime example of why I rarely contribute to these kind of threads any longer. Clueless.

2 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

cyprus (24th September 2012),  GTI (23rd September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Truth hurts sometimes M8.

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    This post is a prime example of why I rarely contribute to these kind of threads any longer. Clueless.

Thanks to Realist

Detector (24th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Truth hurts sometimes M8.
    I know mate. Sometimes I feel like banging my head against something hard to try and lower my IQ. I want to live in your world.

4 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

Godscrasher (28th September 2012),  GTI (23rd September 2012),  mysterym (23rd September 2012),  Titanium (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anti-Islam film: Pakistan minister offers bounty

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Obviously I'm generalising which is wrong but I'm speaking from my personal experience. As individuals, Muslims are generally decent people who want the same for their family as I do for mine. But the second you bring religion in to, they're bonkers. I sat next to a Muslim at work for 5 years, went drinking with him and had him over to my house for tea loads of times. I considered him a mate. Anyway, when the London underground was bombed he refused to condemn it. When I challenged him and said that the people killed were innocent he said he totally understood why they did it, that he himself felt marginalised in this country and was not in the least bit surprised it had happened. We both lived in Leeds at the time and by his own admission he said that he moved in similar social circles to the bombers. He wasn't even a particularly devout follower because we often went for a pint together. I might be 'Clueless' but as I've said I'm speaking from my own experience, which is all any of us can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Karma Level

You reap what you sow - western governments mainly America and the UK but the others are complicit in jack booting round the world trying to impose there will on other countries considering anything that isn't done there way is clearly wrong.

We sit back as people either ignorant of what our leaders are doing in our name normally in the interest of big business and oil companies or lapping up the propaganda needed to justify 'intervention' in another country in the name of humanity, they spout off about aid but the reality is aid is given with 'strings attached' and is often just bribery to secure western interests or puppets in these countries.

The western world is very selective about how it spends it's money 'liberating' freedom fighters or over turning dictatorships in other countries when the reality is if it was about saving lives the money could be better spent and a better return in other counties ravished by famine if there was a real determination to save lives, even if you accept the arguments about trying to do the right thing who gives us/them the right to say the way we do things are right we are just imposing our moral and social values on other countries we have no right interfering in.

Israel, America and the UK are the most hated countries on the planet and our governments by there actions in our names have put us in this position so this is why anything that can stir up any action/retaliation against the west rapidly escalates into violent protests across the world, we are hated and if you can't see why then look at what is happening in Palestine, look at the state of the countries we have 'helped' then ask yourself why we are so selective about who we take action against.

Ghulam Ahmad Bilour is just playing the political game no doubt self serving but what he is saying is very popular as is anything that isn't the normal diplomatic replies designed not to upset America when the reality of there feelings towards the west are far different from the diplomatic stance they take.

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

blaggard (23rd September 2012),  CzarJunkie (23rd September 2012),  GTI (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Religion is the be all and end all to a lot of people in the eastern world, there entire lives revolve around the belief in god and having someone degrade that belief erupts in the outrage that you see.

During the time of the crusades, things weren't much different in the western world however things have moved on and religion has taken a backseat, and therefore western ideology prevails. With that, we've lost empathy toward other cultures and beliefs and instead apply our own western rationalisations as can be seen by some of the sweeping generalistic comments in this thread.

I'm not Muslim but can empathise with someone who's core beliefs have been denigrated by someone else, yes by western standards the reactions are over the top but I still can understand them. It was a stupid film made not for artistic license but to provoke the reaction we are seeing.

Thanks to mysterym

GTI (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    Religion is the be all and end all to a lot of people in the eastern world, there entire lives revolve around the belief in god and having someone degrade that belief erupts in the outrage that you see.

During the time of the crusades, things weren't much different in the western world however things have moved on and religion has taken a backseat, and therefore western ideology prevails. With that, we've lost empathy toward other cultures and beliefs and instead apply our own western rationalisations as can be seen by some of the sweeping generalistic comments in this thread.

I'm not Muslim but can empathise with someone who's core beliefs have been denigrated by someone else, yes by western standards the reactions are over the top but I still can understand them. It was a stupid film made not for artistic license but to provoke the reaction we are seeing.
    When you say western world, who do you mean? Maybe in England. But not in the USA or in a lot of Europe. The western world has just as much faith as the eastern world.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a quote of many sources and versions but it boils down to this: With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (23rd September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post

I completely agree, in civilised society we don't go around insulting each other's mothers and yet it appears to be perfectly acceptable to insult a historical figure which many Muslims hold as dear to them as their own parents. Having lived in the Middle East for most of my childhood, I understand this concept of respect very well.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I completely agree, in civilised society we don't go around insulting each other's mothers and yet it appears to be perfectly acceptable to insult a historical figure which many Muslims hold as dear to them as their own parents. Having lived in the Middle East for most of my childhood, I understand this concept of respect very well.
    Sorry mate I don't buy it. I agree it's unacceptable to go around making these sort of provocative statements with the sole intention of provoking a reaction. But the reaction is way over the top. Even if someone were making these sort of comments about my mother, I wouldn't go around causing the kind of mayhem that these extremists have caused.
    How about a positive LSD story? Would you like to see a positive LSD story on the news to hear what's it all about, perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting just once?

"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves... Here's Tom with the weather".

Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by big-paul View Post
    Sorry mate I don't buy it. I agree it's unacceptable to go around making these sort of provocative statements with the sole intention of provoking a reaction. But the reaction is way over the top. Even if someone were making these sort of comments about my mother, I wouldn't go around causing the kind of mayhem that these extremists have caused.
    What you are seeing is a cultural and historic way of reacting in the eastern world, they take to the streets and hell breaks loose it's no different to expecting French farmers to block roads when they aren't happy.

The reaction is over the top if you apply our western standards to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast