Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: any cctv experts on here. looking best night vision cameras

Quote Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
    cosmic ma what camera is that mate amazing quaility.

i heard with ip cameras they use all your internet bandwidth and you can get paused or recording can stop and u get interference so i heard they can be a bit dissapointing.

no sure if thats the case this is what ive read.
    the camera is a samsung hd3300

like i said where streaming ip cameras over the internet is concerned it's something i need to look into
    what i do know is streaming my existing setup over the internet usually results in a frame rate of about 5fps not brilliant but good enough to see whats going on

my current setup consists of a baxall vivid fsk 10 channel dvr a couple of jvc
    TK-C920BE cctv cameras , one of the qvis dome cameras in the OP's first post and a no name camera badged initial NCL635CK

iv'e been playing with cctv of one form or another for quite a few years on a strictly domestic level ranging from 24hr timelapse vhs recorders to todays baxall dvr that i use and the main thing i have learned is unless you are prepared to spend a lot of cash on high grade cameras but even those don't see all that well at night your going to struggle but there are a few work arounds the simplist is fitting a flood light with motion detection one of the 150watt ones from b&q will do it doesn't need to be a 500watt jobby
    if thats not possible one of the infra red panels already posted are a good second but your image will be black n white ( greyscale ) your much better off using real light if you can
    even a porch light type of thing is better than nothing
    i find the infra red illumination on a lot of cameras tend to have tunnel vision ( the qvis suffers from this ) so anything side of center doesn't get illuminated properly although the low light capability is not bad
    i'm not keen on cctv cameras with infrared leds as they seem to disguise the fact the camera itself isn't that sensitive to low light without the infrared leds saying that the qvis seems to be an exception in that department but i'd rather go for cameras that work down to a low lux without the aid if infrared
    Last edited by cosmicma; 24th September 2012 at 09:38 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

These are images of the tv screen that were taken with my Blackberry Playbook. I have reduced them in size because photobucket had a problem with them at their original resolution. They are just to compare the difference between a true video image and the video output of a DVR.

The DVR video output isn't too bad I suppose but the difference in quality and fuzzy edges can make a difference when trying to recognise an individual's face, which is what you need when used as evidence. Unfortunately they don't have anyone in the images to prove this point. To give you an idea though look at the car wheels in the first two images. The first image is much cleaner and you can see the wheel nut holes in the front wheel of the car on the right but cant make them out on the second picture.
    Not much point having a really good camera if the recorded image isn't that good. There are plenty of DVR's out there and I think the more you pay the better the recording will be.

True analogue video:

DVR video output:

True analogue video:

DVR video output:

I have also rar'd and uploaded some 20 second video files to my dropbox. The rar file also contains a txt file listing what the video files are. The only moving object are a few cars going past. They are night shots with no led lighting, but there is decent street lighting.

The files are mp4, and are again of the TV screen taken with my Playbook. The only odd file is the one recorded and downloaded from the DVR. That was in dv4 format but I have changed the file extention to mp4 so that it can be played through windows media player. It opens up smaller than the other files so enlarge the player when viewing it.

Public link to some video examples They are contained in a 180mb rar file
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21214875/VIDEO%20CCTV.rar

Let me know what you think of the difference. Maybe someone can compare them to night footage taken with an IP camera. (">
    Last edited by BigBird; 25th September 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    These are images of the tv screen that were taken with my Blackberry Playbook. I have reduced them in size because photobucket had a problem with them at their original resolution. They are just to compare the difference between a true video image and the video output of a DVR.

The DVR video output isn't too bad I suppose but the difference in quality and fuzzy edges can make a difference when trying to recognise an individual's face, which is what you need when used as evidence. Unfortunately they don't have anyone in the images to prove this point. To give you an idea though look at the car wheels in the first two images. The first image is much cleaner and you can see the wheel nut holes in the front wheel of the car on the right but cant make them out on the second picture.
    Not much point having a really good camera if the recorded image isn't that good. There are plenty of DVR's out there and I think the more you pay the better the recording will be.

True analogue video:

DVR video output:

True analogue video:

DVR video output:

I have also rar'd and uploaded some 20 second video files to my dropbox. The rar file also contains a txt file listing what the video files are. The only moving object are a few cars going past. They are night shots with no led lighting, but there is decent street lighting.

The files are mp4, and are again of the TV screen taken with my Playbook. The only odd file is the one recorded and downloaded from the DVR. That was in dv4 format but I have changed the file extention to mp4 so that it can be played through windows media player. It opens up smaller than the other files so enlarge the player when viewing it.

Public link to some video examples They are contained in a 180mb rar file
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21214875/VIDEO%20CCTV.rar

Let me know what you think of the difference. Maybe someone can compare them to night footage taken with an IP camera. (">

thanks bigbird for uploading the videos i looked at each of them and yes true analogue is better image quality than the dvr its clearer noticed the dvr video was grainey in dark. i do like the true analogue picture through :-)

the company i was going to get to fit me with 2 x 600tvl and avtech dvr for 399.00 im haveing 2nd thoughts now.

and i dont see the point in me getting one fitted if the night vision quality and the dvr will be poor and i cant recognize anyone in footage if they ever come back mate.

im starting to realize you pay for what you get. im thinking the 399.99 deal seemed very good price cocidering it was fitted and with 3 years warrenty also and thought it would save me all the hassle of fitting myself. but think the quality is going to be poor concidering you said you also have this h.264 dvr this company fits with cameras.

i would rather pay a bit extra for decent cameras and a decent dvr if i have to. as i do want somethink that will be on 24/7 and i dont need to mess with it. just let it run.

have you heard of the new swann d1 dvrs as someone told me they are very good better image quality.

i know maplins sell them with 4 x pro 530 66tvl cameras here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-trublu...viewing-636716

heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=i7234D4YOEw

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Haven't had any experience with the Swan systems but they look impressive in that video. They advertise the fact that you can see every detail day and night so if they don't come up to your expectations you can use that to insist on your money back. (">

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive developed a webcam security application which lets you turn 1-4 webcams into security dvr systems with facial recognition and also movement detection. all you need to do is buy the webcams, my software will work with night vision webcams or wireless too. if it helps you out and saves you money i dont mind sorting you a personal copy out m8. be warned though that the pc needs to be a decent spec to monitor 4 webcams at any one time. most systems will only manage 2 at once
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

following on from this iv'e finally picked up a HD IP camera namely a sanyo VDC HD3300P and have been comparing it to my existing cctv cameras
    during the day there is no comparison the sanyo ip camera is way ahead in the quality stakes but it is 1080p HD but at night the gap closes
    the sanyo ip camera does reveal more detail but not much it really needs some ambient light to get the best out of it

comparing the sanyo with a qvis dome camera similar to the ones in the OP first post at night
    results using ambient illumination 2 x 20watt energy bulbs ( wall lights )

qvis dome with ilumination

sanyo HD IP with illumination

results with wall lights turned off forcing the qvis dome to use infra red

ignore the artifacts i must have picked a bad frame
    as mentioned in an earlier post using the infra red incorporated into the camera tends to give a tunnel effect

sanyo with wall lamps turned off picking up the infra red from the qvis dome

and finally sanyo ip forced to stay colour and wall lights on

not the best comparison but iv'e not had time for anything else yet
    the sanyo ip camera was placed on a stool underneath the qvis dome which is fixed to the wall about 12 feet up so the angle of view is obviously different

iv'e still got to sort out the networking side of things to see how reliable the streaming is i can see it on my android phone and android tablet ok through wireless and 3g but nothing is set up for motion record or streaming yet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12