Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default My First Milky Way

Tried a couple of times to get decent astro shots with very little succes. However I was at the lake district this weekend and the clear skies seemed a good opportunity and I managed to get these. Not managed to get much colour into them but its all a bit of a learning curve atm.

This is my favourite atm 18mm 20secs exposure 3200 iso x 20

This one from the second night 18mm 30secs exposure 3200 iso x20 (Andromeda on the bottom left)

And another

This one was with my 50mm @ F1.4 4secs 3200iso x 20, tried harder to get Andromeda but was unfortunately a touch out of focus.
    Last edited by Soulassassin; 24th September 2012 at 06:06 PM.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

3 Thanks given to Soulassassin

cybollox (25th September 2012),  greens117 (26th September 2012),  rids (30th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My First Milky Way

third one for me where was you in the lakes

Thanks to peterc4

Soulassassin (24th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by peterc4 View Post
    third one for me where was you in the lakes
    We stayed at the Queens Head Hotel on the Kirkstone pass near Troutbeck, all the pics are just outside the hotel.
    First time I've seen the sky so clear I could see the milky way with my own eyes.
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default My First Milky Way

They look great - very well done.

Thanks to Zoots

Soulassassin (27th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great shots fella, with a bit of tweaking you could really make that first one pop. Good job on Andromeda with a 50mm too.

Thanks to _Belial

Thanks
    Karma Level

VERY Envious! Well done... and getting Andromeda also. Superb.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the feedback, only problem now is on a clear night here in Newcastle I look up and the sky looks pathetic in comparison. Its a real shame how bad light pollution really is in this country.
    Just for the record all these 18mm pics were taken with my Tamron af18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC Lens, not exactly a tob brand lens so anybody can do this. I was actually inspired by a picture someone posted on here a while back I think it was a panoramic over Snowdon with the milky way above, can't remember who though.

Thanks to Soulassassin

_Belial (27th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure which pic you mean, but if it's a pic of the milky way and in Snowdonia, i'm 99% sure it will be one of mine

Thanks to _Belial

Soulassassin (1st October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Speaking of Snowdonia, I'm going to be at Coed-y-Brenin on Saturday doing the Howies Enduro Moutain Bike race. That's going to be entertaining..and very muddy I think .

I'm staying at a little B&B in Trawsfynnyd with a couple mates so I must admit I'll be hoping for a clear night too. Will probably try the shots from the B&B whilst we're inside having a few drinks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Coed y Brenin is superb mate, we've taken the kids there loads for walks and some biking, never tried the big official courses though, but does look damn sweet.

If it's clear then you can get some lovely shots at Trawsfynydd, the power station lights up nicely at night and there's a nice jetty at the lake which gets really misty if it's cold and makes for a great shot to take some shots from. Also head from Trawsfynydd up the A4212 towards Bala and there's some greats places for shots at Llyn Celyn which are definitely worth a go. Then again if you're drinking you'll be in no fit state for driving anywhere. There's nant prysor viaduct on that road as well on the way to the lake which i've done a few night shots at.

Hopefully the weather holds out for you, it's been pretty wet here this week.

Thanks to _Belial

dpSparhawk (27th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Carl, yeah I think it's going to be a bit sludgy and mushy.. 600 riders all starting off at the same time - lolol.

To be honest, I believe we're meeting at Dolgellau for drinks tomorrow night in which case, I'll only be having the one beer at the beginning of the night so provided we don't finish up too late, there should hopefully be some scope for a few shots if I can get them. Expecting cloud cover though. It's been pretty wet everywhere hehe.

When winter sets in more, I'll head back down and we can head out up into the mountains ( I know we've talked about this umpteen times lol but I have more leeway to be out late or overnight what with the little guy in school full time now - No up at 7am on my days off in the week, or at least just to take him into school, then I can get a bit of extra shut eye )

Ps.. SoulAssassin, very sorry for hijacking your thread a bit but you've definitely inspired me and I really hope to get a clear night tomorrow.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Exalent pictures .. I have yet to see the milky way hope one night on my travels I will spot it

Thanks to darkstar

Soulassassin (28th September 2012)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Awesome pics. Stupid question, is that what you see with the naked eye or does the long exposure make it more spectacular?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to liveseytowers

Soulassassin (28th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, the Milky Way is visible with the naked eye once they have become accustomed to the ambient light conditions and so long as there is as little or no other light pollution. It'll be seen as a band of brighter stars across the sky. By use of a higher ISO, the camera is a lot more sensetive to light that perhaps our eyes are not as good at seeing. This allows much fainter stars to be seen.

I know when I've done trails, I'll shoot at around ISO 800 - 1000. This will enable the camera to pick up the fainter stars and also allows me to take multiple shots at shorter exposure times which prevents image blow out and they can then all be stacked afterwards. Better to see the result of a 30 second exposure than wait 2 hours for a single exp. only to find it's a block of white (or even black).

As I understand it, it's much easier to achieve a "Star field" (as opposed to trails) shot by ramping up the ISO to 3200 or higher. This will not only capture fainter stars but will also guarantee a shorter exp. time lessing the risk of trails.

I believe Carl when he's done his Star Field shots he's taken them at ISO's up to 6400 and stacked multiple shots. Can't remember but Carl will be able to confirm/correct me

Ps. As shown in Soul's excellent shots above, the Galaxy Andromeda can even be seen with the naked eye. As soon as I can, I'm taking my son to as dark a spot as I possibly can and show him the night sky as it should be seen.

3 Thanks given to dpSparhawk

Crossman (28th September 2012),  liveseytowers (29th September 2012),  Soulassassin (28th September 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial View Post
    Not sure which pic you mean, but if it's a pic of the milky way and in Snowdonia, i'm 99% sure it will be one of mine
    Just done a search and can't find it. I know it was a panoramic of snowdon though and I think it was with a Nikon camera as I recall. While searching milky way I noticed a lot more pics you have posted of it that I've not seen before, absolutely awsome, how do you get so much colour into yours?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Awesome pics. Stupid question, is that what you see with the naked eye or does the long exposure make it more spectacular?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    As dpSparhawk said, it was just a narrow band of more stars to the naked eye.

Thanks to Soulassassin

liveseytowers (29th September 2012)