Aiport Extreme / Express and extending a Network

Thread: Aiport Extreme / Express and extending a Network

Goldberg said:

Default Aiport Extreme / Express and extending a Network

Hi folks,

As posted in many other threads I have recently moved to a bigger house.
    In my last flat I had my Home Hub 3 and an Airport Express. I had the Airport Express as an extension of the Home Hub network.

Now I am in a bigger place I need another solution so I have bought an Airport Extreme.

Question.. Can I extend the wifi network from the Home Hub to the Extreme (as I was from the Express before) and do the same with the Express still?
    Will I lose anything by doing this?

I think I know the answer. The Airport Express has been great and I still have the music playing capabilities etc.. whilst only having one network visible in the place.

Cheers.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Scottio200 said:

Default Re: Aiport Extreme / Express and extending a Network

Yes you can do this, but unless you need the ethernet ports why didnt you just get another express?

To get the best performance I recommend using the home hub as a modem only (disable the wifi on it), wire into the WAN port on your extreme and use the extreme to create the wifi network. Then use your express to extend the range of the network.

Cheers
    Scottio

Goldberg said:

I was thinking about just getting another Express but the range and additional features (sharing a USB Drive, USB Printing) were a bonus.
    I was hoping to have the HomeHub in the Hallway, Express in the Front Living room to serve the front room and the main bedroom then the express to serve the kitchen, garden, rear lounge and the rest of upstairs.

All purchased now so will have a play over the weekend. However I have no BT until the 23rd!! But at least I can still get it all set up.

Scottio200 said:

You can still share a usb printer with an express. The disk works but its not supported by Apple.

Scottio

Goldberg said:

Cheers pal you are right, I forgot about the printer on the express.

I will stick with one Express and one Extreme. Where the extreme is going to go, it will save plugging in another plug for a Hub.
    It's bought and opened now.

Goldberg said:

Actually thinking about it, I am going to see if I can get away with what I have right now...
    I have requested a return. Once I get it all set back up again I will test the strength of what I have and if I need another Airport Express then I will pick one up.

I doubt I will be using the Garden much this year now so no real rush..

Goldberg said:

Default Aiport Extreme / Express and extending a Network

Right, hooked everything up.

The whole house should be covered if I can get the express to do what I want.

I was under the impression it would extend the range of my wireless network? It allows me to attach a Hub etc but the signal strength is no better in the parts of the house far from the BT Home Hub..

Any advice?

blaggard said:

No surprise from me, wifi is shite, Wireless N has less penetration. You can do all the calculations and try extenders etc but the truth is that it is about so much more than distance. So many variables, building materials, electrical equipment, the only way I get vaguely usable signal in the furthest part of my place (just a 2 bedroom flat) is by using the directional aerial in place of one of the removable antenna on my router.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]