Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Amanda Todd's Story

This would get posted eventually, I think it outlines the stupidity and selfishness of kids today and just how deep bullying affects a person. She made a couple of stupid mistakes and it ruined her life. Can't help but think the obvious thing to do would be to not use facebook.

Girl, 15, 'found hanged' just weeks after posting heartbreaking YouTube video detailing battle with cyber bullies

Amanda Todd, 15, was found dead at her home in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, on Wednesday in an apparent suicide

A teenage girl is believed to have been found hanged just weeks after posting a heartbreaking video on YouTube detailing her battle with cyber bullies.
    Amanda Todd, 15, was found dead at her home in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, on Wednesday in an apparent suicide.
    Last month, the troubled teenager shared a black and white video called “My story: Struggling, bullying, suicide, self harm” revealing her years of hidden torment.

She also admitted that she had turned to drugs and alcohol and had tried to take her own life twice.

Using a series of notecards, Amanda silently tells how she was pressured into flashing her breasts to a man in an online chatroom who then circulated the photograph around the web.
    The bullying forced her to move to a different city and change school but the teenager describes how her abusers continued to target her through Facebook.

She also tells how she made a “huge mistake” and “hooked up” with a boy at school, who had a girlfriend.

The schoolgirl was confronted by the boy’s girlfriend and beaten up in front of a crowd of people who left her lying in a ditch.

She reveals she was hospitalised following the ordeal after trying to commit suicide by drinking bleach.

Towards the end of the chilling video, the teenager asks: “Every day, I think, why am I still here?

“I'm stuck. What's left of me now? Nothing stops.

“I have nobody. I need someone.”

Amanda does not speak and barely shows her face in the eight-and-a-half minute clip, but confirms her name on the final notecard.

The clip ends with a harrowing image of her cut and bloodied arm.

Following her daughter’s death, Amanda’s mum Carol said she wanted the video to warn others of the dangers of cyber bullying.

She told the Vancouver Sun: “Amanda was a very caring individual. She would help others who needed help.

“One of Amanda’s goals was to get her message out there and have it used as a learning tool for others.”

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amanda Todd's Story

Lesson here girls. Keep your clout in your pants and your tits in your bra. Simple...

3 Thanks given to BertRoot

G-Virus|DAN| (15th October 2012),  Roach-Rampino (15th October 2012),  WRATH OF BOD (15th October 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sad waste of life. Over silly mistakes. The boyfriend needs hanging from his nutsack. But im sure his infidelity will b overlooked

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I couldn't watch it all.....I cannot understand why someone would lose "friends" just because someone on FB had a profile pic of their tits? There's millions of women whos tits can be seen on the internet and I very much doubt that they are losing friends over it, let alone becoming suicidal. So her parents would rather move house than stop her using Facebook? Something doesn't add up. Rather than speaking to her mum she spent time writing out cards and recording a film?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something tells me she was a nasty bit of work. It is strange to lose friends over it. I reckon the video was a last ditch attempt at gaining sympathy and to make her look innocent imho

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Unfortunately you get some people who become real victims just because they are weak and won't stand up for themselves. I'm guessing she was a nice enough girl who just made a couple of mistakes and happened to be around some very vindictive people who wouldn't let things go. The boyfriend was a right coward for not taking the blame. It was him that was in a relationship so he should take the majority of the blame.

Not got the true facts so just my thoughts on what can happen. (">

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Unfortunately you get some people who become real victims just because they are weak and won't stand up for themselves. I'm guessing she was a nice enough girl who just made a couple of mistakes and happened to be around some very vindictive people who wouldn't let things go. The boyfriend was a right coward for not taking the blame. It was him that was in a relationship so he should take the majority of the blame.

Not got the true facts so just my thoughts on what can happen. (">
    Exactly, she *may* have been a nasty person herself who knew how to go out swinging. I'm not judging either way, my only comments were about how nasty kids can be and the effect it can have on others. Also the fact that facebook can be quit, every month at least one of my facebook contacts quits just to be back a week or so later. They tend to be the ones that cause trouble for themselves (sleeping around, several kids with different fathers, bitch about everyone, air their private affairs all over facebook etc.)

Thanks
    Karma Level

The thing is that at that age you are very impressionable, even those that seem confident are constantly looking for reassurance. Reassurance for teenagers comes primarily from your peers by way of acceptance, lack of this endorses and compounds an already low confidence which will confirm to her in her mind all the reasons her confidence was low already. This then leads to depression and total lack of self esteem. People who are depressed protect themselves by building walls, its natural for depresssives to internalise and alienate, unfortunately, as their ability to reason is at best impaired they cannot see the whole picture. They cannot see the true friends who are worried, or the parents that think they are the centre of the universe. They dwell and only see the negative, then they consider whether their reasoning is reasonable so they try and use flawed reasoning to try to understand their reasoning. They lose themselves in a spiral and are unable to reason well enough to see a way out, then become suicidal, I mean "whats the point if its allways gonna be like this?"

Either way we cannot know all the facts, likewise we dont know anything about her character or anyone else involved. Sure we can all make our judgements, but judgements without enough factual knowledge is essentially a guess. Either way, its such a sad loss of any life. My thoughts go out her family and anyone who cared enough to miss her.

Thanks to Nightstalker

Roach-Rampino (16th October 2012)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Chalk up another reason why kids should not be allowed - or should be permanently monitored - on Social Networking sites.

If you upload your thrupenny bits to the internet, receive enough grief to move house twice and then knowingly 'hook up' with someone else's boyfriend, your asking for trouble. Sounds to me like this young lady had no boundaries and once it started collapsing around her, she thought she had no where to turn.

Although she had a lot of pressure, nothing is worth taking your life over, especially when it's not even begun!

I have loads of sympathy for her family, very sad loss of life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-pictures.html

The internet vigilantes: Anonymous hackers' group outs man, 32, 'who drove girl, 15, to suicide by spreading topless photos of her'

• Amanda Todd, 15, killed herself on October 10, just five weeks after she detailed her treatment by cyber bullies in emotional YouTube video
    • Man 'blackmailed teenage girls on the internet and used "jailbait" websites'
    • Sparks concerns over hacking group's power to create 'trial by internet'
    • Police investigation underway and they are 'aware' of the claims

By Lydia Warren and Meghan Keneally
    PUBLISHED:15:00, 16 October 2012| UPDATED:18:54, 16 October 2012

Tragic: Amanda Todd, 15, was found dead on October 10 after killing herself to escape cyber bullies

Anonymous has named a man it claims posted topless pictures of a 15-year-old girl online and harassed her so relentlessly that she killed herself.
    Amanda Todd, from Vancouver, Canada, was found hanged in her home on October 10, just weeks after she uploaded a video to YouTube detailing her horrific treatment at the hands of cyber bullies.
    When she was just 12, a man in an internet chat room convinced her to flash her breasts, and a year later, he plastered a picture of the incident across Facebook.
    Now in a vigilante move, Anonymous, the world's largest hacking group, has named the man allegedly responsible for the picture.
    The group claims that he is a 32-year-old from British Columbia, but MailOnline has chosen not to identify him for legal reasons.
    As Todd's supporters set up Facebook pages warning the man to 'sleep with one eye open', the move by Anonymous sparks concerns over its abilities to create a 'trial by internet' - bypassing the justice system and casting guilt.

In a video posted to YouTube by Anonymous, a figure claims the group lists his personal information, including his date of birth and address.
    It explains that his username appears on websites where he 'blackmailed' and gave advice to young girls. The same username is also tied to a website with a 'jailbait' photo gallery.

Scroll down for videos

Revealed: In a YouTube video, Anonymous claimed that the man behind the bullying was a 32-year-old from British Columbia

'[He] is an abomination to our society, and will be punished,' the Anonymous figure says.

Referring to the possibility they might have the wrong man, they add: 'At the most this is the person who did this to Amanda Todd, and at the least it's another ped0phile that enjoys taking advantage of children.'
    More...

Following Anonymous' announcement, the web moved swiftly, with groups calling for his death and warning him to 'sleep with one eye open' cropping up on Facebook.
    CKNWreporters have unsuccessfully tried to speak with the man, and neighbours have described his home as 'a known party house on the weekend with lots of young women coming and going'.
    But police attended the home on Monday after a neighbour, Chyne Simpson, said Anonymous named the wrong address. He said he felt threatened by internet users and asked them to stay away.

Haunting: Amanda posted a nine-minute video explaining her longstanding bullying on a series of notecards

Depressing: The story reveals that she previously tried to kill herself twice and is receiving help

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police refused to confirm Anonymous have the right man but a spokesperson said they were aware that someone had been named.
    'We are aware of what’s being posted online and certainly following up what we feel is important to follow up,' Sergeant Peter Thiessen told The Globe and Mail, adding: '[Vigilantes] run the risk of committing a criminal offence.'
    Todd's family members also said they are not sure the Anonymous report is accurate and said police have tracked down a person living in the U.S. whom they believed was involved.
    The claims come weeks after Amanda posted a nearly nine-minute YouTube video detailing her treatment on a stack of notecards held up to the camera,
    Todd says that a year after she flashed her breasts, the man tracked her down and demanded he put on a show for him or he would expose her.
    Final message: The video was posted just over a month before she was found dead on Wednesday

When she refused, he created a Facebook page with a list of her friends and used her naked chest as the profile photo. The picture quickly spread across the internet and among her classmates.

'He is an abomination to our society and will be punished'

Anonymous

It led to relentless bullying online, she said, and she was diagnosed with depression and started drinking.
    In the video, posted September 7, she admitted that she had previously tried to kill herself twice and has been hospitalised.

After moving to a different city and school, another instance of bullying occurred after she started a romantic relationship with an older man who had a girlfriend.
    Once that relationship soured, she was confronted and beaten up by the man's girlfriend. She was hit in front of a crowd of screaming people who encouraged her to be left in a ditch.

Suicide: Todd was found hanged in her home on October 10 - just one month before her 16th birthday

Trouble: It came after she flashed on a webcam and the image of her topless was posted to Facebook

Amanda does not speak in the video, and her face is not fully shown, but she confirmed her identity with the last notecard which says her name.
    One of the final images is a jarring picture of her arm which had been cut repeatedly. Just under six weeks after posting the video, Todd could take the bullying no longer, and took her own life.
    During a memorial for Todd on Monday, her friends said they have been aware of a man in his 30s 'stalking' their friend for years.
    'There were multiple accounts with random names,' one friend told QMI Agency. 'There were Twitter accounts also used.'

The Vancouver Sun reported that Amanda was a student in Grade 10 at the Coquitlam Basic Alternative Education school.

Shock: Friends gather at a memorial honoring Todd in Maple Ridge, British Columbia earlier this week

Loss: Flowers and candles are left at the memorial, five days after Todd killed herself to escape the bullies

The principal of the school confirmed her death and said that she had become connected with many since she transferred to the school in the middle of last year.
    'It is a very sad case,' Paul McNaughton told the paper. 'I can tell you we feel we tried everything we could to help her when she came to us.'
    Her death prompted a local politician to release a video of her own that pleads to put an end to bullying.
    'I just heard about Amanda. I want to say to everyone who loved her, to all her family and friends, how sorry I am about her loss,' British Columbia premier Christy Clark said.
    'No one deserves to be bullied. No one earns it. No one asks for it. It isn't a rite of passage. Bullying has to stop.'
    A NEW TYPE OF HACKTIVISM: ANONYMOUS BRANCHES OUT

Anonymous is an umbrella term for an internet subculture – a collection of individuals, or 'hacktivists', who share common ideas of anti-censorship and freedom of speech on the internet.
    While Anonymous is focused on freedom of speech, releasing names of internet harassers is new territory for the group, which is best known for hacking government and company websites.

They have carried out cyber attacks on Visa, MasterCard, PayPal and Amazon, and have threatened to take down Facebook and Twitter servers.

The group has connections with the lesser-known hacking group LulzSec, short for Lulz Security, an elite hacker group that has claimed responsibility for high-profile, debilitating cyber attacks.

Their big hits include the compromising of user account data from Sony Pictures and taking the CIA website offline. They also attacked Fox.com, leaking the names of more than 7,000 X Factor contestants, and the PBS Newshour website, where they posted a story claiming that slain killer Tupac was still living and in New Zealand.

The group aims to cause mayhem and manipulate flaws in security and passwords systems. It is believed to have caused billions of dollars in damages to corporations, banks and agencies.

It hit the headlines in March this year after Hector Xavier Monsegur, one of the group's ringleaders and an influential member of Anonymous, turned fellow hackers over to authorities.
    After his arrest in New York on hacking charges in June 2011, the 28-year-old reportedly began working with the FBI to bring down the groups' top members, and five were later arrested.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?