Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Tory peer says abuse claims false

Lord McAlpine issued his response amid claims over abuse at a north Wales children's home

Allegations linking him to alleged historical child abuse are "wholly false and seriously defamatory", Conservative peer Lord McAlpine says.

The former party treasurer issued his denial after a "media frenzy" about claims of abuse at a Wrexham care home.

Lord McAlpine, 70, said he had visited Wrexham only once and that he had been in the company of an agent from Conservative Central Office.

He said he had never been to the children's home linked to the claims.

Lord McAlpine's denial comes after Steve Messham claimed on the BBC's Newsnight that he had been abused by a senior politician of the Thatcher era, who was not named, at the Bryn Estyn home.

In his statement, Lord McAlpine said: "I have never been to the children's home in Wrexham, nor have I ever visited any children's home, reform school or any other institution of a similar nature.

"I have never stayed in a hotel in or near Wrexham, I did not own a Rolls-Royce, have never had a 'Gold card' or 'Harrods card' and never wear aftershave, all of which have been alleged.

"I did not sexually abuse Mr Messham or any other residents of the children's home in Wrexham."

'Mistaken identity'Lord McAlpine, a life peer who took the title of Baron McAlpine of West Green in Hampshire, was an adviser to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and founded the McAlpine construction firm. He now lives in Italy.

He said he had decided to "publicly tackle these slurs and set the record straight".

He said that in doing so he had not given up his right to sue those who had defamed him and he would take all steps considered necessary to protect his interests.

Some newspapers on Friday reported that the peer has been a victim of mistaken identity.

In his statement, Lord McAlpine said he was not accusing Mr Messham of acting maliciously but he insisted he was "mistaken and that he has identified the wrong person".

"I have every sympathy for Mr Messham and for the many other young people who were sexually abused when they were residents of the children's home in Wrexham," said Lord McAlpine.

"Any abuse of children is abhorrent but the sexual abuse to which these vulnerable children were subjected in the 1970s and 1980s is particularly abhorrent. They had every right to expect to be protected and cared for by those who were responsible for them and it is abundantly clear that they were horribly violated.

"I have absolutely no sympathy for the adults who committed these crimes. Those who have been convicted were deservedly punished and those who have not yet been brought to justice should be as soon as possible."

He said that on his one visit to Wrexham he had gone to the local Constituency Conservative Association in his then-capacity as deputy chairman of the party. He said he was accompanied on this trip by Stuart Newman, a Central Office agent.

Mr Newman is now dead, but Lord McAlpine's solicitors are trying to contact a senior secretary from Conservative Central Office at the time "to see if she can remember the precise date I visited that association".

Lord McAlpine said he would be "entirely willing" to meet the Chief Constable of North Wales Mark Polin and National Crime Agency director general Keith Bristow in London as soon as possible "so that they can eliminate me from their inquiries and so that any unwarranted suspicion can be removed from me".

'Witch-hunt'On Thursday, David Cameron said he feared a "witch-hunt" by those commenting online about child abuse allegations.

The prime minister was commenting on ITV1's This Morning programme after being unexpectedly handed a list of names of people whom the show's presenter said were being mentioned online as paedophi1es.

Presenter Phillip Schofield, who said he had based the list on internet speculation, has been criticised for his actions during the live interview which had been addressing historical claims of a paedophile ring linked to No 10.

Mr Cameron, who did not look at the list, said he was "worried" that speculation about unproven allegations could lead to a "witch-hunt particularly against people who are gay" and advised anyone with evidence of abuse to go to the police. Number 10 later described the move as a "silly stunt".

London Mayor Boris Johnson branded it a "rum piece of journalism" and Labour's Chuka Umunna said it had been "foolish and irresponsible".

Mr Schofield later insisted he had not been accusing anyone of anything and "it is essential that it is understood that I would never be part of any kind of witch-hunt".

TV regulator Ofcom said it had received complaints about the programme.

The north Wales abuse scandal re-emerged last week after Mr Messham called for a new investigation claiming a report by Sir Ronald Waterhouse in 2000 had not uncovered the full scale of the abuse.

On Tuesday, Home Secretary Theresa May announced a new police inquiry is to investigate fresh allegations into the way police handled child abuse accusations in care homes during the 1970s and 80s.

There will also be a judicial inquiry into the failings of previous judicial inquiries.

Meanwhile, Flintshire Council chief executive Colin Everett has said he wants to publish a shelved 1996 report into the abuse claims.

The Jillings report was never made public because of legal concerns.

BBC News

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tory peer says abuse claims false

What else would you expect him to say ?

Funny how the only (unts complaining to Ofcom are Tory wankers too.
    I also don't believe it's by chance that new Archbishop of Canterbury is an Ex Eaton/Cambridge ponce either.

Yes you cunts are all in it together.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I call this whole phenomena the Dangerous Dog Syndrome.
    One child is mauled to death by a dog, and suddenly kids up and down the country are being attacked by dogs on a daily basis. All this Paedophile bollocks is exactly that, a way to fill the newspapers. It's cynical, crass and undoubtably innocent people are going to get caught up in the hysteria. Grow up Britain.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

BigBird (10th November 2012),  honestDave (10th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Steve Messham apologises to Lord McAlpine over abuse claims

Former resident of a north Wales care home apologises for wrongly claiming Conservative peer had sexually abused him

Steven Messham said that his claims of abuse by Lord McAlpine were based on a case of mistaken identity. Photograph: Luke Macgregor/Reuters

A former resident of a North Wales care home has apologised for wrongly claiming that the Conservative peer, Lord McAlpine, had sexually abused him.
    Steve Messham, a victim of sexual abuse in care homes in North Wales in the 1970s, issued a statement on Friday evening in which he said that his claim was based on a case of mistaken identity
    "After seeing a picture in the past hour of the individual concerned, this [is] not the person I identified by photograph presented to me by the police in the early 1990s, who told me the man in the photograph was Lord McAlpine," he said.
    "I want to offer my sincere and humble apologies to him and his family."
    Messham was interviewed for an item on BBC Newsnight which was broadcast on Friday last week. Although it did not interview McAlpine, it was introduced with the words: "this man says a leading Conservative from the time was one of his abusers".
    The name of the Tory peer and former party treasurer, who now lives in Italy, swiftly began circulating on the internet.
    McAlpine finally broke his silence this morning to say that reports linking him to North Wales child abuse are "wholly false and seriously defamatory" – and to also say that he had only been to Wrexham on one occasion.
    BBC sources have said that executives and journalists involved with the BBC2 programme, fronted by Jeremy Paxman and Kirsty Wark, concluded that there was no need to contact the peer before broadcasting the anonymised accusations because Newsnight had no intention of naming him.
    Had Newsnight done so, they might have heard Lord McAlpine's denials. Another journalist, Michael Crick, from Channel 4 News, spoke to the peer twice on 2 November – and was told that McAlpine had only once been to Wrexham, the town where the abuse was alleged to have taken place.
    Meanwhile Conservative MP Rob Wilson has written to the chairman of the BBC Trust, Lord Patten, asking him to explain what steps it had taken to establish the true identity of the man who abused Mr Messham.
    "What steps did the BBC take to verify the accuracy of Mr Messham's allegations against the man variously described as a 'leading Conservative from the time', 'leading Conservative politician from the Thatcher years', 'senior public figure', 'prominent Tory politician', or 'senior Tory politician', and to check concerns about mistaken identity?" he wrote.
    He also wrote to the regulator, Ofcom, asking whether it believed there were grounds for investigating whether the BBC had given the man concerned an "appropriate and timely opportunity to respond" before the allegations were broadcast by Newsnight.
    "If the BBC did not do this, would Ofcom consider this a breach of section 7 of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code?" he wrote.

Source

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good for him for speaking up promptly I suppose but the damage is done, yet another media led Witch hunt, this Country is a fucking disgrace.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Good for him for speaking up promptly I suppose but the damage is done, yet another media led Witch hunt, this Country is a fucking disgrace.
    that's if you take it at face value and unlike me still suspect someone has nobbled him behind the scenes.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks to 4me2

rookie (10th November 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fucking tasty pay off I fancy...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think any thing Steven Messham says now wil be taken with scepticism